Post draft and UDFA

WizardHawk

My Favorite pick (John Ridgeway DT)

worst pick (Jake Ferguson TE) was hoping for Kolar

Sleeper pick (Jalen Tolbert )

Biggest Impact (Sam Williams DE)

UDFA Pet Cat ( Juanyeh Thomas S)

Swap 1 pick ( Jake Ferguson TE)

Draft (Cole Turner TE) I liked him better than Ferguson and he was drafted later.

I got ambushed more in this draft than any other draft I ever watched. Almost every player I wanted got picked before we were on the clock in almost every round. 

Kenyon Green,  Zion Johnson

Christian Watson, Tyquan Thornton

James Cook

Charlie Kolar

Glad I didn't run the draft this year!

Assuming Nakobe Dean is legitimately a major medical risk, I don’t know that there was a drastically better draft to be had, mostly because of how highly I feel about Williams and Tolbert. Like, this could have been a possibility:

1) Jermaine Johnson   
2) Trade up for Pickens/Skyy   
3) Sean Rhyan

And I probably would have gone that direction. But I don’t view Williams as a massive downgrade from Johnson, and I think Tolbert was the next best guy after Skyy Moore. So knowing that we got those guys, plus a big upgrade in potential from Rhyan to Smith on the OL… I don’t think we are drastically worse off.

The one major botch job, IMO, was not trading up for Charlie Kolar in the 4th. They played with fire waiting on the last really solid TE prospect, and got burnt. 

11 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Assuming Nakobe Dean is legitimately a major medical risk, I don’t know that there was a drastically better draft to be had, mostly because of how highly I feel about Williams and Tolbert. Like, this could have been a possibility:

1) Jermaine Johnson   
2) Trade up for Pickens/Skyy   
3) Sean Rhyan

And I probably would have gone that direction. But I don’t view Williams as a massive downgrade from Johnson, and I think Tolbert was the next best guy after Skyy Moore. So knowing that we got those guys, plus a big upgrade in potential from Rhyan to Smith on the OL… I don’t think we are drastically worse off.

The one major botch job, IMO, was not trading up for Charlie Kolar in the 4th. They played with fire waiting on the last really solid TE prospect, and got burnt. 

It may seem that way now, but nobody thought much of Schultz when we drafted him. In fact, many on here called him a "camp body" or "special teamer".

Point is, you just never really know. Chemistry counts for so much, and it is the one variable you simply cannot account for. The only way you find that out is to take a shot.

Personally, this wasn't a sexy draft. That was the last 2 years with guys like Lamb, Parsons, Diggs.

But with that already behind us, I see this draft as a blue collar, grab your lunch pail and show up to work every day type draft.

And the fact is, in order for the former draft picks to reach their potential and shine, you need these types of drafts and players to set the foundation.

The big question in my mind is this, do we have the coaching staff in place to set that standard and coach them up?

Best pick:  Tolbert
Worst pick: Ferguson....  though not a fan of Bland either  but by then not much to like either
Sleeper pick:  Waletzko
Biggest impact: Smith
UDFA Pet Cat: PK Garibay

I was very critical of a lot of our round 5 pics... I am little more accepting of our pics now though still feel that Band was not the best CB available though obviously he was at to top of the cowboys board. and I still feel we would have been better off taking the highest rated OL instead of either Clark or Harper. They rang all the bells though I wanted a LB capable of upgrading LVE this year which we did not do. 

My main irritation was not Cowboys fault.. that Zion and Green did not last to us.

Edited by quiller

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

“No one really knows” is always my favorite post-draft take.

Yeah, I am always reminded of over-hyped players like Jamarcus Russell or Tony Mandarich. 

"Can't Miss" guys that flat out crapped out.

So, no one really knows.

19 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Yeah, I am always reminded of over-hyped players like Jamarcus Russell or Tony Mandarich. 

"Can't Miss" guys that flat out crapped out.

So, no one really knows.

You don’t know for sure what’s going to happen when you leave the house in the morning or if the food you’re about to eat is going to give you salmonella. Some people who smoke live a long life, others who’ve never touched a cigarette get lung cancer.

Every decision you make in life is a risk-base calculation with uncertain outcomes. Nothing is certain. Nothing. But about the only thing as silly as talking in absolute certainties is constantly reminding people that there are no certainties. I know. I’m trying to evaluate that decision making process from the Cowboys over the weekend, given the knowns and unknowns. 

You are right, there is a chance Ferguson becomes a good tight end. But based on what we know, I think Dallas missed an opportunity to land a different player with a greater likelihood of being a starting caliber tight end. And if Dallas was being honest, I think they’d agree. I bet Kolar was the pick if the Ravens hadn’t sniped him. And that’s why I think not trading up was the biggest mistake the Cowboys made this weekend.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Best pick: Tolbert (great value and potential)
Worst pick: Ferguson (:/)
Sleeper pick: Ridgeway (love his attitude)
Biggest impact: Smith (he’ll play every snap at LG)
UDFA Pet Cat: Drummond (Dollar Store Deebo)

Swap one pick (Your realistic #1): I would’ve taken Okonkwo over Ferguson in the 4th

10 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You don’t know for sure what’s going to happen when you leave the house in the morning or if the food you’re about to eat is going to give you salmonella. Some people who smoke live a long life, others who’ve never touched a cigarette get lung cancer.

Every decision you make in life is a risk-base calculation with uncertain outcomes. Nothing is certain. Nothing. But about the only thing as silly as talking in absolute certainties is constantly reminding people that there are no certainties. I know. I’m trying to evaluate that decision making process from the Cowboys over the weekend, given the knowns and unknowns. 

You are right, there is a chance Ferguson becomes a good tight end. But based on what we know, I think Dallas missed an opportunity to land a different player with a greater likelihood of being a starting caliber tight end. And if Dallas was being honest, I think they’d agree. I bet Kolar was the pick if the Ravens hadn’t sniped him. And that’s why I think not trading up was the biggest mistake the Cowboys made this weekend.

So they panicked and reached for a player? Not the 1st time or team to do so. 

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

So they panicked and reached for a player? Not the 1st time or team to do so. 

Maybe they panicked. Maybe they genuinely didn’t think Ferguson was a major step down, and that’s why they were willing to wait. Not sure.

I’m just saying, it’s the one pick I think could have had I significantly better outcome on the draft as a whole. Had Jalen Tolbert been picked at #87, I would have felt a similar way. Patience worked for them in the 3rd, bit them in the 4th, IMO. 

I really don’t get all the hate on Ferguson. He’s a very good zone blocker and has very good hands as a catcher.

He played with bad QB play in a tough big Ten his collegiate career.

I think his route running was improved from last year and will only get better.

The NFL peanut butter will give him more strength as a blocker so I really don’t think it was a bad pick.

So if we trade up for Kolar you are sending our 178 pick Ridgeway to another team. I think we needed that pick

Edited by eagles suck