Grade the draft

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Jerry Jones just can't stop causing controversy 😂 

This has happened like 4 times in the last decade to him. He's either a bigger egomaniac than we all thought or he's dumber than s***

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not necessarily, no. But I do think it reinforces some concerns about Jones' age though. Even my own. I hated the pick but the age didn't bother me too much. But the data here is pretty hard to ignore.

If you look at all 19 players who were 25 years old when drafted from 2011-2019, it doesn't exactly scream confidence. Especially at WR. T Bolles has had the best career out of all of them, and lets be honest Munchek is a large reason for his turn around. He struggled big time out the gate until the Munchek light came on and now it's night and day.

There's a reason why nearly half of them (9) were not selected until the 7th round.

1 20 Garett Bolles T 25
5 145 Matt Gay K 25
1 25 Hayden Hurst TE 25
7 235 Jimmy Wilson DB 25
7 223 Deon Simon NT 25
5 174 Cameron Artis-Payne RB 25
4 111 Clyde Gates WR 25
4 116 Keith McGill DB 25
7 236 Mark Nzeocha OLB 25
6 197 Demetri Goodson DB 25
3 70 Bronson Kaufusi DE 25
7 231 Ty Powell DE 25
7 249 DeMarco Sampson WR 25
7 227 Kiero Small RB 25
5 181 Dylan Donahue DL 25
7 236 John Ursua WR 25
7 221 Brad Sorensen QB 25
7 243 Kaleb Ramsey DE 25
4 108 Jalston Fowler FB 25

I guess what I'm getting at is, in terms of your comparisons, unless Gordon = Roby and Brisker = Harmon, those aren't exactly guys we'd look forward to. The Jones comps are downright gross, too

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I guess what I'm getting at is, in terms of your comparisons, unless Gordon = Roby and Brisker = Harmon, those aren't exactly guys we'd look forward to. The Jones comps are downright gross, too

Yeah I got that. But that part of the post wasn't really meant to be taken too serious 😉. It was more about the discussion surrounding aging players.

When I made those comps I was only using the average wCAV of the total selected players drafted in the same round and comparing it to a few players chosen at random who play the same position and had an equal wCav. But this is a flawed concept to use as any sort of career prediction for many different reasons, which is why I said IF we were taking at face value.

This is basically saying, on average Gordon could be Roby 2.0 and Brisker could be Harmon 2.0. But they could also end up being Heyward/Howard and Bates/Baker 2.0 too.

The point is, the data makes sense in regards to Jones because his age sticks out so much, but I wouldn't look too far into it with the other draftees.

40 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The point is, the data makes sense in regards to Jones because his age sticks out so much, but I wouldn't look too far into it with the other draftees.

I wonder where Jones ranks athletically compared to those other older draftees. His athletic profile is obviously at an NFL contributor level. 4.31 speed is 4.31 speed, and his separation numbers are outstanding. If nothing else that gives me hope that he can buck that age trend at least somewhat and at least fill a meaningful and useful complementary role both short and longer term even if he’s never a true #1 or #2 WR.

Whether people think he was a reach or not, he was still the 14th WR taken in the draft this year, and any realistic expectations for him should reflect that. If he’s a viable WR3 for us then I’d say it was a good pick given his draft position, and if he becomes a viable WR2 then it’s a great pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wonder where Jones ranks athletically compared to those other older draftees. His athletic profile is obviously at an NFL contributor level. 4.31 speed is 4.31 speed, and his separation numbers are outstanding. If nothing else that gives me hope that he can buck that age trend at least somewhat and at least fill a meaningful and useful complementary role both short and longer term even if he’s never a true #1 or #2 WR.

Whether people think he was a reach or not, he was still the 14th WR taken in the draft this year, and any realistic expectations for him should reflect that. If he’s a viable WR3 for us then I’d say it was a good pick given his draft position, and if he becomes a viable WR2 then it’s a great pick. 

I understand where your coming from, but it takes more than athleticism and speed to be a good player in the NFL. I mean we watched Jarron Gilbert jump out of a pool and we was all enamored by it. Where did that get him and the team? John Ross has the fastest 40 time in history and where has that got him and team?

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is a great way to kick off rookie mini-camp.

He can teach them alot. On and off the field.

Peanut is the epitome of a class act player and person in general. He and Fitzgerald are what every player should strive to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I understand where your coming from, but it takes more than athleticism and speed to be a good player in the NFL. I mean we watched Jarron Gilbert jump out of a pool and we was all enamored by it. Where did that get him and the team? John Ross has the fastest 40 time in history and where has that got him and team?

I don’t think his athleticism guarantees him anything by any means but it gives him a real chance. Setting aside the age aspect his scouting report reads very similarly to that of Mecole Hardman. That’s what I think they envision for Jones - a super explosive albeit limited role player.

Looks like we have signed a try out LB...

Has some physical tools...6-2" 225lbs with near 34" arms...ran a 4.60 forty & a 34"...probably a PS player but good to see us adding someone there as we lack bodies...

cfbstats.com - Christian Albright 2021 Player Statistics - Ball State Cardinals

(52) Most Underrated Outside Linebacker in the MAC "Christian Albright Sophomore Highlights" - YouTube

Fun fact...he is from the same hometown as Justin Fields.

Edited by Madmike90

Carson Taylor was a guy I had on my list as a target for being an UDFA...high upside athlete at 6-4" 240lbs with 33 1/2" arms...4.59 in the forty and a 38" vertical...needs to work on his strength but is again is a solid addition to a PS with real potential...just has to avoid injuries which has been an issue in the last two seasons.

(52) Carson Taylor, DE/LB, Northern Arizona University | 2021 NFL Draft Official Highlights - YouTube

Edited by Madmike90

Another big long defensive player...Thomas comes in at 6-2" 215lbs with 33 1/2" arms which is great size for a safety...ran a 4.6 flat in the forty with a 33" vertical...

Thomas is another guy I see competing for the PS which is good considering Flus' track record of developing defensive players.