Grade the draft

JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

In regards to the thread I made. No I don’t believe I was trolling. I’m an Ohio State alum and Justin is the most talented QB to ever come out our program. 

I told you guys I would be here as soon as he was drafted. And based on the lack of assets devoted to the position your FO is setting him up for failure. And this is past a draft grade. You all didn’t do anything in Free Agency either. 

You guys finally have the opportunity to build around a young franchise QB and it looks like you’re setting him up to go through unnecessary challenges. 

If you take a look around this forum and the various offseason/free agency threads, you will see that this offseason did not go the way many of us had hoped or expected it to go.  Some here are willing to be lite t and see what Poles has up his sleeve, others not so much.

You don’t have to worry about the Chicago media members holding his feet to the fire, especially if things go poorly next fall.  Chicago media has a reputation for that kind of stuff.  But, if you still have questions about the moves Poles made, go ask him yourself:  

https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/details?name=Ryan Poles&citystatezip=Illinois&rid=0x4

Sorry of some of this is repeat.   Some of my posts got deleted.

What I think I learned about Poles thus far.  

Big school, high floor in early rounds.  

Injured or small school high potential, traits in later rounds.  

BPA regardless of need.

Build primarily through draft and not FA.

This was Pace stated philosophy too, but he lost discipline a lot in practice. 

I agree with a lot of the philosophy.

I don’t agree with the execution and I think FA was an under utilized tool.  

That being said I think the first 3 players were value picks for their slot.  I think Velus is being a bit underrated.  He would have looked better in a pass happy O with a good QB.  

Edited by dll2000
Typos

C+  I liked how Poles turned 6 picks into 11.  Poles seems to hit hard on a couple needs.  First two picks DBs, 3 total.  4 out of 6 picks OL.  Out O-line was offensive last year.  With 11 picks, I have no problem getting 3 OL, but 4 with edge/pass rusher and WR needs(we obviously got one of each, but IMO we should have gotten 2 WR)  Who knows, maybe Jones will be a stud.    

Grading on value I’ll give it a solid B.

Gordon and Brisker are both really good values where we got them and should be week 1 starters who are upgrades at need spots. Turning 3 picks into 8 on day 3 and spamming OL for developmental depth was the right move IMO. Someone there is likely to pan out in some useful capacity which on a team with no depth effectively gets rid of that problem. I think we’ll probably still sign a stop gap G for 2022 so as not to have to force the issue, but that’s fine. An overhaul of depth was 100% necessary. The punter is a punter. 🤷‍♂️

Velus Jones is the real wild card here. If the intention with the pick was an expectation that he’s a 3 now and likely only a 3 longer term then I’m fine with it. Others there when he was taken (Tolbert specifically for me) I think had more upside but also more questionable 2022 impact. Jones seems plug-and-play in a specific role right away and like a pick more for now over later which to me is more need-based, but I’m fine with that here because that’s a plus for Fields. We didn’t have anyone else like him on the roster and I like what that skill set brings to the table. The RB pick felt like a bit of insurance for the non-WR stuff they project for Jones to me. If he’s able to fill a bigger role at WR and becomes more irreplaceable for what we want to do on offense then Ebner can step into those return game roles right away. None of this, btw, bodes well for Dazz Newsome’s future as a Bear.

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

I thought he drafted good players and good values.

I think the DBs will be good players and make Poles look smart in the long run.

I loved trading down and spamming the OL. I thought that showed a good understanding of how day 3 of the draft works. It is  volume day.

The draft just showed how weak the free agency period. This should be a draft that is being celebrated and instead people are asking" what about the offense". That should have been addressed in free agency.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I loved trading down and spamming the OL. I thought that showed a good understanding of how day 3 of the draft works. It is  volume day.

The draft just showed how weak the free agency period. This should be a draft that is being celebrated and instead people are asking" what about the offense". That should have been addressed in free agency.

How much does that perception change for you if they sign Turner as a 1-year stop gap at guard some time this week? 

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree with this. Once I had time to reflect on the draft as a whole and started to understand Poles' motives and philosophy better I was not displeased. I think that next year we will see a bigger jump in both overall talent and development (if the coaching staff is worth a damn). 

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 1

we got 2 day one starters in the secondary

a punter, who if he is anything like POD, will be here for a decade

a replacement for cohen, but way cheaper

a development DE whose main attribute is speed and first step - let him learn from quinn while he's still here

spam OL and see if 1-2 become players

would i have liked some of the other receivers drafted or some of the OL available in the 3rd round? absolutely. but Poles stuck to his board and took BPA because our team is a dumpster fire now.

Lets say he signs Julio Jones to be #1 (probably have to overpay, but whatever) and signs Trai Turner to start at RG. Let Borom and Jenkins develop on the edges. Whitehair and Patrick steady starters on the interior. Now i dont HATE that plan, and we attack next year with a TON of cap space and a high 1st to grab a WR (JSN) or LT

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

How much does that perception change for you if they sign Turner as a 1-year stop gap at guard some time this week? 

Not a lot. It is better and I think if you know the team well you realize it would be a very solid move.

But I think we are in the bandaid phase of free agency and for the media it will not move the needle much.

If we had added an Austin Corbett and a D.J Chark or Robert Woods type player the narrative would be difference. I am not saying those are the right moves long term, but I think the talent level would be better and we wouldn't have everyone dunking on the offense.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If we had added an Austin Corbett and a D.J Chark or Robert Woods type player the narrative would be difference. I am not saying those are the right moves long term, but I think the talent level would be better and we wouldn't have everyone dunking on the offense.

I don’t really care much about narratives tbh. They think Pringle was a more worthwhile addition (or at least one they felt they could rely upon more) for what they want to do than Chark, etc. At this point we can just hope they were right. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t really care much about narratives tbh. They think Pringle was a more worthwhile addition (or at least one they felt they could rely upon more) for what they want to do than Chark, etc. At this point we can just hope they were right. 

I think the counter argument is that they had the resources and need to add both... which would have left them needing less hope.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the counter argument is that they had the resources and need to add both... which would have left them needing less hope.

Maybe, but you’re still hoping with almost everyone you sign except the very top guys. And really even those guys too, just to a lesser extent. Like with Chark, who you mentioned - are you getting 2019 Chark (73/1008/8) or 2020 Chark (53/706/5)? You’re hoping the former, because the latter is a less efficient Pringle with a bigger target share, and that doesn’t even yet consider the 2021 major injury.