Saints sign S Tyrann Mathieu

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Dont think it was about money

Duece Windham on YouTube seems to know people in the Saints organization, prevailing theory was that Mathieu really really wanted to play here, it wasn’t the saints trying to entice him but the other way around 

Edit: this would also explain why the saints took their time. No need to rush when the guys already on the line and he’s the one who called 

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Dont think it was about money

Duece Windham on YouTube seems to know people in the Saints organization, prevailing theory was that Mathieu really really wanted to play here, it wasn’t the saints trying to entice him but the other way around 

Edit: this would also explain why the saints took their time. No need to rush when the guys already on the line and he’s the one who called 

You're completely missing the point.

First off, money did matter. It pretty much always matters. Mathieu was looking out there for 13-14 million like Williams and Diggs got. 

I knew it wasn't out there for a safety about to turn 30 and on the decline of his career, but he was looking for it.

He still did pretty well for himself being able to get 11 million from the Saints. Not quite what he was looking for, but still pretty good money.

I did not want to pay him double digit millions. If he was willing to come in for 9 million or less I would've been okay paying him that, but he wasn't really the type of safety I was looking for in Philly. I was looking for someone who was gonna play more deep in 2 high and even single high when we do run it. That's why I wanted Marcus Williams and was upset when he chose Baltimore when we had supposedly a similar offer on the table.

The money did matter not just to Tyrann, but more importantly the Eagles who is the one I was referring to with that post. 

I'm sure being able to stay home was a big factor for him and I'm happy he got his money and got to stay home.

I'll always root for the player to get the bag while they can.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You're completely missing the point.

First off, money did matter. It pretty much always matters. Mathieu was looking out there for 13-14 million like Williams and Diggs got. 

I knew it wasn't out there for a safety about to turn 30 and on the decline of his career, but he was looking for it.

He still did pretty well for himself being able to get 11 million from the Saints. Not quite what he was looking for, but still pretty good money.

I did not want to pay him double digit millions. If he was willing to come in for 9 million or less I would've been okay paying him that, but he wasn't really the type of safety I was looking for in Philly. I was looking for someone who was gonna play more deep in 2 high and even single high when we do run it. That's why I wanted Marcus Williams and was upset when he chose Baltimore when we had supposedly a similar offer on the table.

The money did matter not just to Tyrann, but more importantly the Eagles who is the one I was referring to with that post. 

I'm sure being able to stay home was a big factor for him and I'm happy he got his money and got to stay home.

I'll always root for the player to get the bag while they can.

Lol

i missed the point, but only because I missed a critical word 

What I read: surprised #Eagles weren’t the landing spot here with that number.

What it said: Not surprised #Eagles weren’t the landing spot here with that number.

kind of changes the meaning of the tweet 😅

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dome said:

Lol

i missed the point, but only because I missed a critical word 

What I read: surprised #Eagles weren’t the landing spot here with that number.

What it said: Not surprised #Eagles weren’t the landing spot here with that number.

kind of changes the meaning of the tweet 😅

Gotcha... lol. All good.

Your guys defense was great last year and I expect the same this year too.

I do wonder about Penning protecting Winston's blindside this year, but at least hopefully he'll stay healthier than Armstead these past years.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Gotcha... lol. All good.

Your guys defense was great last year and I expect the same this year too.

I do wonder about Penning protecting Winston's blindside this year, but at least hopefully he'll stay healthier than Armstead these past years.

I don’t love the penning pick either.

I took Raimann in my mock GM draft. He’s not a sure thing by any means but i like his fit better. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t love the penning pick either.

I took Raimann in my mock GM draft. He’s not a sure thing by any means but i like his fit better. 

I feel you. I don’t think Penning on the field plays to his testing numbers and there is definitely some stuff you need to clean up with him. Obviously he’s mean and very powerful though. Him being on the Saints kinda gives flashbacks to Kyle Turley.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I feel you. I don’t think Penning on the field plays to his testing numbers and there is definitely some stuff you need to clean up with him. Obviously he’s mean and very powerful though. Him being on the Saints kinda gives flashbacks to Kyle Turley.

If he ever rips an opponents helmet off and tosses it into the stands, the 1st round pick is justified.

saints fans want chaos above anything else 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dome said:

If he ever rips an opponents helmet off and tosses it into the stands, the 1st round pick is justified.

saints fans want chaos above anything else 

we are happy with a few penalties if it gets under the opponents skin... just look at CJGJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

And then Anthony Miller went after him in the playoffs, even after the coaches reminded them not to fall for it. Needless to say this cost both of them their jobs.

Like when a dude is so good at trash talking that teams have to literally game plan for it and prevent them from doing more meaningful game planning, it's amazing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

Like when a dude is so good at trash talking that teams have to literally game plan for it and prevent them from doing more meaningful game planning, it's amazing.

61c003ef1a680.image.jpg?crop=1175,1175,2

“**** you, twenty-two!”

• Like 1