2023 Draft Talk

swede700

With so many quarterbacks potentially slated to go in Round 1, it’s worth asking how the 2023 QB class compares to the classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Many of those classes featured some of today’s best quarterbacks, including Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, and others.

The results were extremely optimistic for the top end of the 2023 class. Though no 2023 quarterbacks can claim that they were the best QB to come into the NFL over the last six years, two took top-end spots, with Stroud ranking fourth and Young ranking fifth.

Richardson landed in the middle of the pack, while Levis was a few spots below him, near the bottom. Hooker ranked second-to-last among the list of quarterbacks, and a few poll respondents suggested he would have ranked below Desmond Ridder and Malik Willis, who were not included.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/how-does-the-2023-quarterback-draft-class-stack-up-comparing-the-2018-2021-qb-classes-to-2023/

The "idea" of Anthony Richardson is intriguing to me. The price of Anthony Richardson is not. 

If he falls into the late teens range (or to #23), I'd be fine with the Vikings pulling the trigger. His ceiling is too hard to pass up at that point and you don't have to mortgage the future with the cost of a trade-up. 

Moving all the way to #2 or #3 is out of the question for me. He's just too raw to trade three first round picks, plus. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The "idea" of Anthony Richardson is intriguing to me. The price of Anthony Richardson is not. 

If he falls into the late teens range (or to #23), I'd be fine with the Vikings pulling the trigger. His ceiling is too hard to pass up at that point and you don't have to mortgage the future with the cost of a trade-up. 

Moving all the way to #2 or #3 is out of the question for me. He's just too raw to trade three first round picks, plus. 

Agreed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

For me, I’m more than willing to take the gamble. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I won't be disappointed if they do, but it's a pretty big risk. One that might pay huge dividends, admittedly..... Or really set them back. I don't think it happens.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I won't be disappointed if they do, but it's a pretty big risk. One that might pay huge dividends, admittedly..... Or really set them back. I don't think it happens.

It would be nice to actually see them take a big risk for once.  I'm not sure when the last "significant" risk they took was...Tarvaris?  I wouldn't consider Ponder a risk since they took him earlier than he should have gone and they didn't trade up for him.  They traded up to get Tarvaris and took him probably at least 2 rounds earlier than he should have been taken (although even most projections suggested that it was 5 rds earlier). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It would be nice to actually see them take a big risk for once.  I'm not sure when the last "significant" risk they took was...Tarvaris?  I wouldn't consider Ponder a risk since they took him earlier than he should have gone and they didn't trade up for him.  They traded up to get Tarvaris and took him probably at least 2 rounds earlier than he should have been taken (although even most projections suggested that it was 5 rds earlier). 

As Rudy Gobert has shown us...be careful what you wish for. Although I was glad that the Wolves' front office took a chance. It's just been a terrible result.

Edited by wcblack34

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No, I’ll pass. I won’t a QB that is accurate and control the game. I want nothing to do with a QB having “ UPSIDE “… No, either you have it or not. I don’t care about a 40 time or a back flip. Would be the biggest mistake in the franchise’s history to trade up and take Richardson. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm all for FO going for it when they really believe in what they are doing! If they think Richardson is a future star, they should trade up for him. I have really cut back on CFB watching, so anything I say here about a player is a gut mostly....and I really like Richardson! I just am not confident enough after watching highlights and reading about him that I'd give up 3 firsts plus......

6 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

No, I’ll pass. I won’t a QB that is accurate and control the game. I want nothing to do with a QB having “ UPSIDE “… No, either you have it or not. I don’t care about a 40 time or a back flip. Would be the biggest mistake in the franchise’s history to trade up and take Richardson. 

Josh Allen was one of those guys that only had "UPSIDE"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm all for FO going for it when they really believe in what they are doing! If they think Richardson is a future star, they should trade up for him. I have really cut back on CFB watching, so anything I say here about a player is a gut mostly....and I really like Richardson! I just am not confident enough after watching highlights and reading about him that I'd give up 3 firsts plus......

It wouldn't surprise me if he's the 2nd QB taken.