Who wins the AFC East?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFC East?

• Buffalo Bills
    • Miami Dolphins
    • New England Patriots
    • New York Jets

16 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

There are a ton of questions with the Jets. They are a very young team who hasn't proved anything yet, I love the talent and potential of the team but until they show it on the field it means nothing.  The vibe I get with them is 100% different than I have seen in over a decade. I think Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh are definitely changing the culture, but they need to get the wins next.  Saleh had a extremely difficult job last season, he was asked to coach a team with a huge amount of rookies starting and also had a huge amount of injuries.  I like Saleh in that I feel like he is a strong leader, his optimism is needed in NY because this team has such a culture of losing and negativity that you need someone who is optimistic and doesn't shy from it.   He also isn't afraid of playing young guys and letting them develop. I saw a lot of player development throughout last season which is what gave me hope, vs with Gase players regressed as he was a terrible coach. Our OC Mike LaFlaur I really like as well, He is creative and runs that Shanahan scheme that is a lot of fun to watch. 

It rides on the health of the team and if Wilson takes that step.  I think Wilson will be much better, his stats weren't good last year, I get that. But I saw him improve over the season, he got more comfortable with the offense and the NFL. His players around him regressed significantly as we had like every player go on IR. Week 18 vs the Bills we had every WR on IR, something I've never seen before. We had guys off the street starting and we didn't have any TE talent to begin with. We also had like 3-4 starters on the OL missing vs a team that was playing for the division at home. I thought it would be a game where Wilson threw 4-5 INTs like a typical Jet. But he had none, he did a great job of protecting the football as the season went on. He just didn't have the players around him to actually make plays. One thing is, I didn't see him flinch or be brought down. Darnold regressed heavily as he got hit, he let it get to his head and would get worse. I am hopeful, they are hungry and want to win. Best vibe I've seen around this team and I've seen some of the most incompetent and dysfunctional teams out there the past decade.   The defense has to improve a lot too. They were awful last season. But we made significant upgrades, and if guys return healthy like Lawson they could get a big boost. 

Yup. I noticed the same thing. He's also not afraid to throw the ball downfield. I really like that trait in a young QB. The timid ones rarely ever make it. I think the kid is going to be pretty good, but the question is how good? I think his potential tops out in that top-5-to-top-10 range of QBs. Not quite in the tier of Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc...but a franchise guy none the less.

Edited by WizeGuy

Amazing.

Mac Jones makes the Pro Bowl and playoffs in his rookie year and he's "limited".

Zach Wilson looks like like complete gorilla crap in his rookie season and he has "potential".

Edited by biggie.

5 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Amazing.

Mac Jones makes the Pro Bowl and playoffs in his rookie year and he's "limited".

Zach Wilson looks like like complete gorilla crap in his rookie season and he has "potential".

Josh Allen had a losing record, completed 52% of his passes, and had more INT than TD as a rookie. So does that mean Mac Jones has more potential than him?

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Allen had a losing record, completed 52% of his passes, and had more INT than TD as a rookie. So does that mean Mac Jones has more potential than him?

I feel like we need to stop using Josh Allen rookie year as a parameter to judge young QBs. It was an anomaly imo. 
That said I agree and see what you are saying. I think Wilson has a much higher ceiling from Mac due to his arm strength. I don’t think Mac Jones is gonna out duel any top tier QB. I’m not saying Wilson will but I feel like if he has the Raw potential to. 

Edited by The BILLievers

Just now, The BILLievers said:

I feel like we need to stop using Josh Allen rookie year as a parameter to judge young QBs. It was an anomaly imo. 
That said I agree and see what you are saying. I think Wilson has a much higher ceiling from Mac due to his arm strength. I don’t think Mac Jones is gonna out duel any top tier QB. I’m not saying Wilson will but I feel like if he has the Raw potential to. 

I understand that Josh Allen is an extreme outlier and I don't think Wilson will be the next Josh Allen. I'm just saying that you can't say Mac clearly has more potential based on their rookie seasons, especially considering that Mac was in a significantly better situation. 

Wilson has more potential just based off of physical ability but will he be able to maximize it? That remains to be seen. Mac certainly is a lot better as of right now though.

10 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Zach completed about half of his throws, had 11 picks and 9 TDs. I certainly hope he's got potential to grow....

One reason for optimism is that the Jets have done a good job of investing in pieces around him.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One reason for optimism is that the Jets have done a good job of investing in pieces around him.

Definitely on the receiving end, but I am not at all impressed with that OL. Looks like Bekton is a bust in the wings as well, from what I've read.

13 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Definitely on the receiving end, but I am not at all impressed with that OL. Looks like Bekton is a bust in the wings as well, from what I've read.

Becton was the second best rookie OT in his class behind Wirfs, he was just hurt last season. AVT who they drafted in the 1st round last year flashed at guard. George Fant is a solid OT and they just signed Lanken Tomlinson who is one of the best OG's in the NFL. Fant stepped in at LT when Becton went down week 1 and only allowed 1 sack all season, I've read that they're going to move both Becton/AVT to the right side. 

Fant - Tomlinson - McGovern - AVT - Becton

That's a solid group, I think PFF had them at like #11 last year and they have two good RB's now too with Hall/Carter. 

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Becton was the second best rookie OT in his class behind Wirfs, he was just hurt last season. AVT who they drafted in the 1st round last year flashed at guard. George Fant is a solid OT and they just signed Lanken Tomlinson who is one of the best OG's in the NFL. Fant stepped in at LT when Becton went down week 1 and only allowed 1 sack all season, I've read that they're going to move both Becton/AVT to the right side. 

Fant - Tomlinson - McGovern - AVT - Becton

That's a solid group, I think PFF had them at like #11 last year and they have two good RB's now too with Hall/Carter. 

Yeah the big issue last year was that GVR was a turnstile at RG until he was replaced later in the season. The Tomlinson signing should obviously help fix that. 

Becton is the big question mark but he definitely flashed his rookie year. There are risks though, so hopefully they can add a better swing tackle before the season starts. 

11 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Irrelevant and strawman.

Mac Jones is currently better than Zach Wilson, but Wilson still has upside due to his physical tools. Will he ever be as good or better than Mac? I'd bet no, because Mac is playing for the best organization in the NFL and Wilson is playing for one of the worst.

7 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Yeah the big issue last year was that GVR was a turnstile at RG until he was replaced later in the season. The Tomlinson signing should obviously help fix that. 

Becton is the big question mark but he definitely flashed his rookie year. There are risks though, so hopefully they can add a better swing tackle before the season starts. 

I loved Max Mitchell during the draft process, I think he'll be ready to play later in the season. If Becton can keep his weight under control he has the tools to be one of the better OT in the league. Douglas has done a good job of putting pieces around Wilson with the potential to help him reach his ceiling, guys just have to stay healthy and committed. I'm excited to see what Moore/Wilson can do at WR and Hall/Carter can do at RB.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I loved Max Mitchell during the draft process, I think he'll be ready to play later in the season. If Becton can keep his weight under control he has the tools to be one of the better OT in the league. Douglas has done a good job of putting pieces around Wilson with the potential to help him reach his ceiling, guys just have to stay healthy and committed. I'm excited to see what Moore/Wilson can do at WR and Hall/Carter can do at RB.

The big wild card here will be Wilson obviously (followed by Becton). He looked good after coming back from injury later last year, hopefully he’s able to continue to progress and do it for a full season. 

Bills should win the division with 12-14 wins, go with a 13-4. 
Patriots 9-8 
Dolphins 8-9 to 10-7
Jets 7-10

Patriots losing McDaniels and not bringing any key contributors outside of Parker who cant stay healthy and losing some key defensive players it seems like the Pats take a step back. Bill keeps the defense on track to win them some guys. The lack of coaching offensively and inability to recoup talent and bring in fresh players is what prevents this team from making the playoffs.
While Dolphins add some talent to the offense they are getting a new HC who has been under Kyle Shanahan almost his entire career outside a couple of years at the college level. Will he be able to pave his own offensive path or is he just one of those coordinators benefiting from his boss? That is something I want to see. New players on offense with new play calling will take time to build chemistry. Plus the faith in Tua is still low so it will be a growing type season. 
Jets improved on both sides of the ball this offseason and bring back some key guys who didnt play last year should improve the team but at the end of the day it comes down to coaching and Wilson. Will wilson take the next step or will he be a Darnold 2.0 with hype of high expectations and falling flat. 

Key ?s for the season:
Can Tua take the next step with all these weapons or will they be searching for a qb in 2023 draft
Can Wilson take next step
How can you expect to have an offensive coaching competition thinking it will end up to be something good for your young qb in NE