Texans off-season thread

ET80

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

very good news. I am trying to hold out hope that Watt getting another season off will help the back recovery. It was obvious in the games he played last year that he was nothing like his former self. Hopefully another year removed from the back injury will allow him to regain muscle strength. The leg injury doesnt worry me as much as the back. If we get Watt back at 100% of his old self, we will win the division....barring another injury. 

I mentioned this in General, but if we could get 13-16 games out if Watt with 5-6 sacks, 10-12 TFLs and 5-6 passes defended, I'll be satisfied with his progress. Numbers like that would be well below his standard production, but it would give me hope that he can get back to an elite level - also, with the maturation of Clowney, McKinney, Cunningham and the return of Mercilius, we don't need Watt to put up 15-20 sacks a season. 

It's more about the games played vs the stats put up for him now. Make it through the majority of the season, then we'll focus on his production...

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I mentioned this in General, but if we could get 13-16 games out if Watt with 5-6 sacks, 10-12 TFLs and 5-6 passes defended, I'll be satisfied with his progress. Numbers like that would be well below his standard production, but it would give me hope that he can get back to an elite level - also, with the maturation of Clowney, McKinney, Cunningham and the return of Mercilius, we don't need Watt to put up 15-20 sacks a season. 

It's more about the games played vs the stats put up for him now. Make it through the majority of the season, then we'll focus on his production...

We really just need him to be above average. If he can do that, his numbers won’t bother me. But with Clowney dealing with some injuries again this off season and his injury history, I’d hate the thought of tying up so much money in those two guys 

Prayers up

Texans S Andre Hal has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

"My faith in God and the support from my family, friends, teammates and coaches will see me through this difficult time," Hal said in a statement. "I will not let this diagnosis stop me from fulfilling my dreams and I do not want anyone to feel sorry for me. I know how to beat this and I will beat it." It is unclear what this means for Hal's football future, but that is obviously a secondary concern at this point. We wish him a fast recovery.

6 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Prayers up

Anything with the c word attached is scary as hell, but if you're going to get one, hodgkins is generally caught very early and is amongst the most treatable w/a 90% survival rate.  If the reporting is correct, this would be different than Quessenberry's non-hodgkins which is usually harder to find and thus usually more advanced and more difficult to treat.  Basically, if you ever have unexplained swelling in lymph nodes that doesn't go away or seems to "travel", particularly neck and underarms, get it checked out.  Immunotherapies for blood diseases have become highly successful, minimizing the need for harsher chemotherapies that obviously can bring significant complications in addition to muscle loss in athletes.  You might remember Mario Lemieux had Hodgkins, as did the Cubs Anthony Rizzo, and the Chiefs Eric Berry should serve as a shining example of a player at Hal's position that was able to not only beat it, but excel upon his return.  Obviously, I wish nothing but the best for Hal who has worked hard for his place in this league, and I'm sure will attack Hodgkins and a return with equal vigor.  You've got many more Bortles passes to pick off before you are through here, my friend.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Dimes to dollars, Christian Hackenberg will be the #3 QB here.

Problem is, the job is to drop dimes and he's got nothing but a wooden nickle and some lint in his pocket.  Of course, Joe Webb has thrown exactly two dimes in the past 6 years in the NFL (2 of 7 and an int in relief of a concussed Peterman in a blizzard) which still ain't enough to complete a call and payphones are about as relevant as his wildcat specialty in 2018. Weedon can execute a playbook well enough to manage some games and hope the defense carries us to a few wins which is about average for backups in this era.  You would think Foles, Keenum, taking team to the Conf Championship / Super Bowl would have teams seeking out similar guys with upside potential to reduce the gap between starter and backup but even tops out at the AJ McCarron type. I'm hoping the Pats fall in love with their rookie and we could bring our second best qB in the bob era,Hoyer, back here.     

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Watson is practicing without a knee brace. I don’t know if that’s a great sign or if we have stupid people making decisions 

It's strictly his decision - knee braces provide stability from "side/side" motion, but really hamper "front/back" motion and are really uncomfortable.

There are some who theorize that those bulky braces actually hinder recovery, as the supporting muscles don't get a chance to support. I doubt Watson is thinking like THAT, but worthy of note.

If Watson feels as if it's OK, it's on him to remove it - but I'm kind of glad he's in a very limited status. I'd feel more comfortable if he wears it. At least a knee sleeve would make me feel a bit more confident.

On 6/10/2018 at 6:29 PM, Texansfan713 said:

We are going to see first hand what Justin Reid can bring to us.  I wouldnt mind signing Kenny Vaccaro for depth. Not even going to mention possibly bringing in Justin's brother Eric because we all know how our stupid owner is.

As excited as I am to see what Justin brings to the table, assuming a 3rd round rookie can step in on day one is a pretty scary proposition, especially since my understanding is that the plan was to return to way more Cover 1 with the free safety as the sole safety net behind our corners who are each prone to getting torched on the long ball. Mathieu is best used at the line either at the slot or shutting down the move TEs and speedy receiving backs (it's no accident the Titans brought in Dion Lewis who killed us in the playoffs in 2016 w/3TDs and them last year).  We are a slow camp start or a tweaked hammy away from Corey Moore being our FS against NE week one - if you need a refresher he was horrific in our week 3 thrashing last year to the tune of 378 / 5 Tds. Regardless of whether Hal or Reid won the gig, I expected to see all 3 on the field a bunch, especially (hopefully) with Watson getting us some leads to protect.  The gaggle of other safeties on the roster (Moore, Drummond, Campbell, Decoud) are all holdovers from the Rick Smith 1990's version of safeties which are essentially small linebackers who can tackle, but are too slow to cover or even get to the edge (aka special teams exclusive).   

I advocated hard for Eric Reid (and Morgan Burnett), but I gotta say it would invite a very weird dynamic to sign two brothers that play the same position.  Vaccaro is generally thought to be the next best option and anyone who is still out there is signing a one year prove it deal and is going to see plenty of snaps even if JR wins the starting job.  Beggers can't be choosers at this point.  He covered the slot a bunch last year which is going to be Mathieu and Kareems job, but he was decent as a deep safety the year before, but his wheels worry me a bit.  I actually think Tre Boston might be the best fit as he's the most coverage oriented option out there and has the size and speed our secondary lacks.   At the very least I'd get our old buddy Quintin Demps a call since he did the job with Romeo before and has great instincts back there and he could lose three steps and still lap Corey Moore. 

While we all advocated for Kareem to be kicked down to safety for years, it was for the Mathieu role - Kareem's entire value is inside and close to the line as he is abysmal tracking, plays slow, and sticking him deep is begging for 40 yard pass interference penalties as he's a notorious and not subtle grabber. Recognize that if Kareem is going to move to FS, we need to go get another corner as Bandemosi is primarily a special teamer and counting on Kelly, Virgin and UDFAs if - nay when - Joseph and Johnson get hurt is going to have us doing the waiver wire shuffle all season again.  I'm not totally against using Mathieu as the deep safety, as he's got the wheels and is a playmaker, but it kind of wastes one of his difference making skills which is man to man coverage skill in safety.   Unlike the safety market, the corner market has been tapped out, unless we want to see if DRC won't be too much of a cancer as a dime.  I'm not a Bashaud Breeland fan, especially after he slashed his foot open, but if his misfortune buys us a discount to bring him in at a reasonable salary, he's no worse of a bet than we are already making that Colvin can be out wide or that Kevin Johnson's few flashes of competence are his true caliber and not the bulk of his play which has been a poor tackling, soft version of Kareem Jackson.  

Archived