Raiders trade WR Bryan Edwards To Falcons

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

With Adams, Renfrow and Waller the #2 WR isn't going to get a lot of targets. I don't think they add much else to the group personally. 

And if Adams misses any time we're back to having probably the worst WR group in the NFL.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What were his comments?

Mick Lombardi (On traits to have in outside WR): The first thing we talk about in terms of receiver play is winning at the line of scrimmage, right? If you can't win at the line of scrimmage as a receiver, you're going to have a tough time. And DBs are so good now and teams play such a variety of different coverages and different techniques, and they try and disguise. How can you release into the defense?

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 6:13 AM, jimkelly02 said:

That’s one of my biggest pet peeves of our fans!  They’ll love the selection at the time it happens but then when it doesn’t work are the quickest to be super critical of it.

i own it.. no shame in that. i take credit when im right too! haha

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Funny thing is Tre Turnee has the same knock on him. I mean of course we released him but still. We brought him in and gave him like 40k knowing that wqa his biggest issue. But I guess they wanted to see for themselves. Anyhoo I liked Edwards but it really isn't a huge loss. And I imagine they see it as a something for nothing situation. They have no ties to him. He wasn't their third rounder so they got something for him and he wasn't their guy. I get it. I also don't see us bringing Nelly or any other WR with a big number. I think we will resign Frow at some point then over the next three or so years no WRs will get large contracts not named Devante or Hunter. Probably mostly 3nf to 4th round draft picks.

23 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Funny thing is Tre Turnee has the same knock on him. I mean of course we released him but still. We brought him in and gave him like 40k knowing that wqa his biggest issue. But I guess they wanted to see for themselves. Anyhoo I liked Edwards but it really isn't a huge loss. And I imagine they see it as a something for nothing situation. They have no ties to him. He wasn't their third rounder so they got something for him and he wasn't their guy. I get it. I also don't see us bringing Nelly or any other WR with a big number. I think we will resign Frow at some point then over the next three or so years no WRs will get large contracts not named Devante or Hunter. Probably mostly 3nf to 4th round draft picks.

I just personally don't understand the rationale of waiting until after the draft to trade him though. If they knew he didn't fit their system, wouldn't it have made more sense to acquire an additional pick in this years draft? If Nelly gets cut we'd likely be able to bring him back cheap but I also agree that we're likely just going to stick with the group that we have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I just personally don't understand the rationale of waiting until after the draft to trade him though. If they knew he didn't fit their system, wouldn't it have made more sense to acquire an additional pick in this years draft? If Nelly gets cut we'd likely be able to bring him back cheap but I also agree that we're likely just going to stick with the group that we have.

I think you can see it in two ways.
Maybe there we didn't get an offer for Edwards, that we liked before the draft, where everybody says "well, I could also get a Nr3/4 WR in the draft".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

I think you can see it in two ways.
Maybe there we didn't get an offer for Edwards, that we liked before the draft, where everybody says "well, I could also get a Nr3/4 WR in the draft".

Yeah that could've been the case but it just seemed like he was a part of our plans for the season. He had just paid to change his number, the media team had just released a video about him, and he was attending OTAs. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah that could've been the case but it just seemed like he was a part of our plans for the season. He had just paid to change his number, the media team had just released a video about him, and he was attending OTAs. 

Oh, I didn't see that. Well, then it's really a little strange to me.
The only thing that comes to my mind why they accepted the trade is that they thought the offer was just too good to decline.
But I don't know how a WR 3/4 is valuated in general.

7 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Oh, I didn't see that. Well, then it's really a little strange to me.
The only thing that comes to my mind why they accepted the trade is that they thought the offer was just too good to decline.
But I don't know how a WR 3/4 is valuated in general.

The only way that it really makes sense to me is if they just knew for a fact that there was no way he was going to make the team. Which would be weird to determine this early in the off-season before they've even really seen him practice. Maybe they're just really high on guys like Cole and Robinson though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roi34 said:

i own it.. no shame in that. i take credit when im right too! haha

Yeah there’s no shame in being wrong…. Everyone’s wrong sometimes.  Respect to those who own up when wrong.

I really didn’t like edwards that much in the predraft process but once we drafted him I bought in.  I liked mike Pittman wayyyy more but then again he went at the top of round 2, much earlier.

i Was concerned that too much of edwards production was manufactured from screens and jump ball situations.  He didn’t win a lot with route running and separation in college.  But he has a joke of a QB too.  I thought he was a good pick where we took him based on how the board fell and who was left though.  Once we drafted him I convinced myself he was a good pick, which I can tend to do.  But hey for decades we’ve had nothing but “hope” as raider fans, lol.  I will say I don’t think he was given a fair and full shot with the Raiders.  He could turn out to be a good player or end up being a full bust, only time will tell.  

but given the meager compensation we got for edwards I think this was a bad trade.  I’d much rather have given him a shot this year then get the 5th for 7th compensation next year.

• Like 1

I think we really need Agholor to get cut by NE and then sign him to be the WR2 with deep speed.  Like we really really really need Agholor.  If he does get cut we should be rather aggressive in trying to sign him.  I wouldn’t hold out on trying to get him on a near minimum deal, especially when we’ll have some 25m in cap space on June 1st.  I’d be very happy to give Nelly 3M base salary with incentives to sign with us. 

Come June 1st when we have 25m in cap space we need to be aggressive and add:

WR2 with speed - Agholor

Starting RT/RG - Daryl Williams, Ereck Flowers, Eric Fisher, Brandon Shell

starting 43DT /  34 DE- I really wanted to see Ferrell get his last shot with us as a starting 34DE, assuming we play a base 34 defense.  But in a recent interview he’s got to be in g to be playing OLB.   I think that’s a horrible idea for him.  His biggest issue is the lack of fluidity and ability to turn the edge.  There’s a ton of older but not done DLmen out there and we really need to sign one: Trey flowers, Sheldon Richardson, akiem hicks, Eddie Goldman or Larry Ogunjobi if he’s healthy.

CB- James Bradberry or even depth piece like Kevin King or come back projects like Kyle Fuller, Trae Waynes

LB depth- Kwiatkowski, Joe Schobert, KJ Wright, Eric Wilson, Anthony Barr, Alexander Johnson, Jaylon Smith

TE3- Tyler Kroft, Jesse James, Chris Herndon, Derek Carrier, Troy Fumagalli, Blake jarwin (if healthy)

• Like 1