The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

I was among the first to go all in on Richardson, so it's good to see you all come around. 

Couple things.... are we sure he's the 3rd QB taken? I could easily see Carolina or Houston betting on him. All of these QBs have flaws, maybe they want the guy with the most upside. 

Which brings me to my next point.... All the QBs have flaws, so trading up for one feels forced. If you are trading up to #3 overall, you can't have any doubt on the QB. 

I would not trade up and I love Richardson. I'm not trading up unless I have a Lawrence/Burrow level guy available. 

My draft flow chart:

Did QB fall to 7(?):

• Yes -Invest in QB
  • No -Did the run on QBs push down Anderson to #7(?):
    • Yes - Draft Anderson
    • No - Trade Pick

Richardon/Anderson at 7 of I'm stacking as much resources as possible. Going defense heavy in the top 100. Then I'm taking all my ammo (talking Ricky Williams level scorched earth approach here..... I don't care) and going to get Drake Maye in 2024

*subject to Drake Maye staying the man. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can someone familiar with Netwon's time in NE chime in? I've heard McD changes his O to fit Cam. I'm curious what he is capable of doing with a guy of Richardson's talent. 

They were basically running an RPO, smash mouth offense with Cam/Harris. But it’s hard to really make an assessment either way because Cam was cooked at that point and he signed with them in like July so it’s not like they had a ton of time to perfect a scheme. Ted Nguyen was saying on a podcast that JMD has wanted a dual threat guy for years now.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I was among the first to go all in on Richardson, so it's good to see you all come around. 

Couple things.... are we sure he's the 3rd QB taken? I could easily see Carolina or Houston betting on him. All of these QBs have flaws, maybe they want the guy with the most upside. 

Which brings me to my next point.... All the QBs have flaws, so trading up for one feels forced. If you are trading up to #3 overall, you can't have any doubt on the QB. 

I would not trade up and I love Richardson. I'm not trading up unless I have a Lawrence/Burrow level guy available. 

My draft flow chart:

Did QB fall to 7(?):

• Yes -Invest in QB
    • Yes - Draft Anderson
    • No - Trade Pick

Richardon/Anderson at 7 of I'm stacking as much resources as possible. Going defense heavy in the top 100. Then I'm taking all my ammo (talking Ricky Williams level scorched earth approach here..... I don't care) and going to get Drake Maye in 2024

Exactly. Build up the team as much as you can, then go absolutely all in on someone like Maye, who is a sure thing and an ELITE prospect.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They were basically running an RPO, smash mouth offense with Cam/Harris. But it’s hard to really make an assessment either way because Cam was cooked at that point and he signed with them in like July so it’s not like they had a ton of time to perfect a scheme. Ted Nguyen was saying on a podcast that JMD has wanted a dual threat guy for years now.

Very interesting, especially the highlighted. He's had statues with the likes of Brady, Jones, Carr, etc. He probably saw how our O truly opened up with Stidham's scrambling ability vs. San Fran and knew how vital escapability is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Also, if your drafting a QB and your expectation if he works out he will be a 3200yd passer…..

why are we spending so much on WRs?  

The expectation isn’t for him to be a 3,200 yard passer, my point we that Lamar was able to win MVP with a similar skill set despite not putting up gaudy passing stats. Jalen Hurts has passed for 3,100/3,700 yards. Why did the Eagles spend first round picks on Smith and Brown? 

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Exactly. Build up the team as much as you can, then go absolutely all in on someone like Maye, who is a sure thing and an ELITE prospect.

There’s no feasible path to Maye or Caleb unless you win 2-3 games or a team that has a QB sucks for some reason and you’re willing to give up something like 3 1sts and 3 2nds to move up. 

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My draft flow chart:

Did QB fall to 7(?):

• Yes -Invest in QB
    • Yes - Draft Anderson
    • No - Trade Pick

If you’re waiting for the perfect QB prospect to fall into your lap, good luck.

if we trade up for Richardson I’m fine with it. I’m also fine with staying put and taking Gonzalez / Carter or trading back. Regardless of what we do with the roster though we need to find a star level QB sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

paying Teamer 1.5m, Barr 1.5m, Ameer 1.7m Bolden 2.8m, Grassu 1m, Bolton 1m, Keelan Cole 1m 

that 10m could have towards having another young good good Corner in Rock. all those guys could have been replaced by day3 picks/ UDFA. waste of assets

Rock has no market in free agency, why would we pay him 10M?

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There’s no feasible path to Maye or Caleb unless you win 2-3 games or a team that has a QB sucks for some reason and you’re willing to give up something like 3 1sts and 3 2nds to move up. 

Honestly I'd rather give up 3 1sts and 3 2nds for Caleb than 2 1sts and a 2nd for Richardson.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The expectation isn’t for him to be a 3,200 yard passer, my point we that Lamar was able to win MVP with a similar skill set despite not putting up gaudy passing stats. Jalen Hurts has passed for 3,100/3,700 yards. Why did the Eagles spend first round picks on Smith and Brown? 

Question being are you giving up picks to draft Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts early? 

I'm not. Jackson had 1 good year and has been decidedly mediocre. Hurts, who I happen to like a lot, only has 1 good season and Philadelphia was an absolute unit front to back, top to bottom. 

Richardson is arguably closer to Jackson as a passer, who I frankly wouldn't take until the late 2md at best. Richardson is 100% off my board in round 1, especially if we'd have to trade up for him. 

• Like 1