The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

It’s only a one pick risk if you select a guy at 7, if they trade up that would be multiple picks that were wasted. I’m not against taking a QB but I am against it if I’m trading the farm for someone who has a ton of flaws. 

Oh I agree with that. Trading up would be super risky. I don't like trading up either. You have to have zero doubt in the player if you do. 

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You would have kept Carr 20 years. Period. Even though he’s not very good. You are too bias to ever be involved in business decision making. 

Moving on. Not here to discuss Carr. 

I would have built a defense. What a concept 

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You would have kept Carr 20 years. Period. Even though he’s not very good. You are too bias to ever be involved in business decision making. 

Moving on. Not here to discuss Carr. 

Your neglecting to remember the company line from “Carr fan” was “what are you going to replace him with, it has to be someone better” and time and time again the Carr fans, me included, didn’t hear a plan that satisfied the basic need for something better.

Most of why we didn’t want to move on from Carr was we didn’t think we could acquire a better young QB at a cost that wouldn’t have hamstrung the team and QBs development.

REMIND me when the Carr fans said we didn’t want to trade for Aaron Rodgers or someone like that? Remind me of the Franchise QB we wanted to pass on in the draft…. And btw that isn’t Jordan Love, as you personally highly overvalued him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fwiw Carter is still very high on my BB. However I can totally understand why our FO would pass on him especially given our Ruggs disaster. I still feel like I would take the risk associated with him since he's the best player in the draft imo. But damn has he ever cost himself a ton of money...

Such a hard situation to sift through.

His situation is for way smarter and connected people than us to decide on. You have to go deep into this kids background and be comfortable that he's not going to be a problem going forward.

I think Seattle or Detroit will take him personally. If he's at 7, it would be gut check time. I would hate to be the GM in that spot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your neglecting to remember the company line from “Carr fan” was “what are you going to replace him with, it has to be someone better” and time and time again the Carr fans, me included, didn’t hear a plan that satisfied the basic need for something better.

Most of why we didn’t want to move on from Carr was we didn’t think we could acquire a better young QB at a cost that wouldn’t have hamstrung the team and QBs development.

REMIND me when the Carr fans said we didn’t want to trade for Aaron Rodgers or someone like that? Remind me of the Franchise QB we wanted to pass on in the draft…. And btw that isn’t Jordan Love, as you personally highly overvalued him.

Most prospects are going to look worse than a vet QB like Carr. You develop them. That's the problem with the mindset of Carr fans. They want instant results. Instant gratification. 

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

A team has to be ready to get a young QB or he’ll bust. The team needs to be solid all around for a young QB to be successful. If Allen was drafted by the Raiders he probably wouldn’t be in the NFL by now.

The offense is top tier for a rookie to step into. You have 2 all-pros, solid skill positions and a solid blindside protector. Good vets to learn from in the QB room. And you get a red shirt year most likely. 

Defense obviously a long work in progress. But there is talent on this team to be successful.  

• Like 1

Carter would be a no brainer at 7 if not for the Ruggs stuff. Can the franchise afford another personality like Carter in Vegas? If he's there at 7 I'm still taking him, but as others have said, boy oh boy I'd hate to be GM with him on the board. It's not a "celebrate feel good pick", it's more of a biting your fingernails but still make the pick and nervous as hell he stays out of trouble the first 3 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Most prospects are going to look worse than a vet QB like Carr. You develop them. That's the problem with the mindset of Carr fans. They want instant results. Instant gratification. 

Again… what QB prospect did we want to pass on to keep Carr?

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carter would be a no brainer at 7 if not for the Ruggs stuff. Can the franchise afford another personality like Carter in Vegas? If he's there at 7 I'm still taking him, but as others have said, boy oh boy I'd hate to be GM with him on the board. It's not a "celebrate feel good pick", it's more of a biting your fingernails but still make the pick and nervous as hell he stays out of trouble the first 3 seasons. 

I don't understand this correlation at all. The only similarity is they were both auto incidents. Josh Jacobs demolished his car drunk too. Nate Hobbs had something if I recall. 

Ruggs situation was completely tragic, but he is not the first nor will he be the last player unfortunately drinking and driving. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't understand this correlation at all. The only similarity is they were both auto incidents. Josh Jacobs demolished his car drunk too. Nate Hobbs had something if I recall. 

Ruggs situation was completely tragic, but he is not the first nor will he be the last player unfortunately drinking and driving. 

Racing is kind of ridiculous though.

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The offense is top tier for a rookie to step into. You have 2 all-pros, solid skill positions and a solid blindside protector. Good vets to learn from in the QB room. And you get a red shirt year most likely. 

Defense obviously a long work in progress. But there is talent on this team to be successful.  

And no O-line. Nothing ruins a young QB like pressure.

Who knows what Carter’s involvement in the racing was…. He wasn’t the driver, that’s confirmed by camera and witnesses.  

So Carter didn’t make a statement incriminating a fellow program member without a lawyer present?  Idk I think shutting up and saying talk to my lawyer would be the smartest move he could have made.

The biggest issue I have is Carter not showing the maturity to demand that his car stop and return to the scheme of the accident to render aid to his teammate, but I’ve known several good people who in their early 20s fled a similar incident.  People get scared and run.

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Who knows what Carter’s involvement in the racing was…. He wasn’t the driver, that’s confirmed by camera and witnesses.  

So Carter didn’t make a statement incriminating a fellow program member without a lawyer present?  Idk I think shutting up and saying talk to my lawyer would be the smartest move he could have made.

The biggest issue I have is Carter not showing the maturity to demand that his car stop and return to the scheme of the accident to render aid to his teammate, but I’ve known several good people who in their early 20s fled a similar incident.  People get scared and run.

He wasn't driving? I thought everything said he was and was assumed to be next to the car when it crashed?]

19 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

And no O-line. Nothing ruins a young QB like pressure.

We need a starting caliber guard that can be found in the third round, and our OL isn't bad. It's average. PFF ranked us 10th last year. I'd say we are more middle of the pack, but people act like this OL really sucked last year when it didn't. 

Jimmy is a slightly better play extender than Carr as well (although both bad). Also, if we draft Richardson or Young, OL won't matter as much as those two can extend plays at-will.