The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is not the same thing.... This class of QB all have flaws. 

If Maye and Williams play up to expectations, you've got 2 Lawerence/Burrow level guys. Clean, franchise QBs. If either of these guys were in this draft, Chicago would likely trade fields and upgrade.

IF* and likely*
and that’s your guess, not what a GM would do.

your also projecting pretty generously on Williams and Maye’s prospects.  

how many times do you have to round to get the math to work in Your favor?

And even if that happens…. There’d be a good young QB on the trade market for us.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

IF* and likely*

And even if that happens…. There’d be a good young QB on the trade market for us.

Not really. with some QBs, it's pretty obvious. Burrow, Lawrence being among them. Sure, they could fall off, but it would be a massive surprise if they did and would be the question, why?

Then, as in the case of Herbert who "fell off" his senior year you have to look at why. 

So yes, projecting but the odds are heavily in the favor of the being 1/2 next year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Lmao if you draft Levis this year and found yourself at number 1 next year you passing on Caleb or Maye? I don't think so.

On top of everything you said you listed half the league that need QB's that make your chances even slimmer. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That is some high praise for a former guidance councilor. 

I actually think Zeigler will prove to be a very good drafter.  I think he’s a very smart mind and very capable when it comes to that.  He did quite well last year for what he had.

im very interested in seeing Zeigler’s ability to maneuver the draft board… the ability to trade down and still get your guy and add picks as well as his ability to fill needs later on.  IE… Maybe we go Edge in round 1 and fill the CB need in later rounds.

Id put more merit into the quote if it wasn’t by an anonymous source.  I don’t trust any of those type of quotes…. 95% of (sports) Writers are garbage these days and write articles to push an agenda… positive or negative.  I think there’s a good percentage of quotes like this that range from entirely made up to real but dressed up.  The quote becomes the centerpiece of the story, what stops a writer from making it up or embellishing?

21 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Did Chicago not just draft Fields, end up #1, and trade the pick?

if a team drafts Levis they certainly like him a whole lot more then you do.

Regardless, if that’s all you can find fault with your argument that it’s trade the farm and pray Richardson can develop drastically as a passer or else we’ll spend years upon years waiting for the chance to get our QB is a pretty poor argument.

There are ALWAYS options out there, so there’s no need to panic and take a massive chance on Richardson.  Richardson doesn’t even fit in McD’s rigid offense and lack of desire/ability to adjust from it.  Not to mention, McD is on the hot seat and could go next year and if he does let the new coach draft his own guy.  If your trading up to draft a QB this year your doubling down on McD as the coach long term.

I dont want anything to do with Richardson, I want defense period you got the wrong guy our situation is different from Houstan who is sitting at #2. I said Houstan shouldn't pass on a top 2 QB. The rumor they might pass is just a rumor and would be stupid on their part. Also if they even had a chance to trade up next year you competing with half the league and you giving up tons of draft capital when you were in position to take one without giving up anything this year. Houstan doesn't have to trade up they are in position now.

Fields has been developing for multiple years is one of the most athletically gifted QB's in the league and has shown promise. Levis would have to somehow show he's a stud to pass on Caleb or Maye.

Edited by raidr4life

Thinking ahead to a hypothetical situation. If Zeigler has a very nice draft but we suck in similar fashion next year (Blown leads, questionable coaching decisions, etc.) would there be a world with DZ is kept but McD is shipped off? From everything I have read they are both uber close and think the same. Would Ziegler ever get rid of his buddy and remain?

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I actually think Zeigler will prove to be a very good drafter.  I think he’s a very smart mind and very capable when it comes to that.  He did quite well last year for what he had.

im very interested in seeing Zeigler’s ability to maneuver the draft board… the ability to trade down and still get your guy and add picks as well as his ability to fill needs later on.  IE… Maybe we go Edge in round 1 and fill the CB need in later rounds.

Id put more merit into the quote if it wasn’t by an anonymous source.  I don’t trust any of those type of quotes…. 95% of (sports) Writers are garbage these days and write articles to push an agenda… positive or negative.  I think there’s a good percentage of quotes like this that range from entirely made up to real but dressed up.  The quote becomes the centerpiece of the story, what stops a writer from making it up or embellishing?

That wasn't, nor was there a centerpiece to his article really. 

Hondo is well respected and his article, if you a read it, is a collection of quotes and conversations he's had. Doubt he'd make it all up to push any agenda. Guess it depends on what lens you look through.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thinking ahead to a hypothetical situation. If Zeigler has a very nice draft but we suck in similar fashion next year (Blown leads, questionable coaching decisions, etc.) would there be a world with DZ is kept but McD is shipped off? From everything I have read they are both uber close and think the same. Would Ziegler ever get rid of his buddy and remain?

I think this early into it, they are still a package deal. 

29 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

IF* and likely*

And that's exactly what would happen the Bears would trade their QB if he doesn't explode this season and take Caleb or Maye

34 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

IF* and likely*

You the one moving the goal post right now they project to go 1/2 yeah things could change but that's not what we talking about.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

I dont want anything to do with Richardson, I want defense period you got the wrong guy our situation is different from Houstan who is sitting at #2. I said Houstan shouldn't pass on a top 2 QB. The rumor they might pass is just a rumor and would be stupid on their part. Also if they even had a chance to trade up next year you competing with half the league and you giving up tons of draft capital when you were in position to take one without giving up anything this year. Houstan doesn't have to trade up they are in position now.

Sorry for mistake.  I don’t think Houston should pass on Young/Stroud either… they’ve been waiting on a QB far too long, plus have 12 to fill other needs. 

If Maye+Williams really are the generational talents everyone is so convinced of then pay the price to get them.  Or go with one of the other QBs like Ewers.  Herbert was QB3 and went 6th… that could be Ewers. Heck, Ewers could jump Maye.

I just think there’s options and anything can happen.  Heck, Jimmy G and JMD might hit it off and were happy keeping him for another year or two.  Or maybe he gets hurt early and we’re picking 1/2.

i’m just not going to crown Williams and Maye GENERATIONAL talents after 1 year of play.  

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sorry for mistake.  I don’t think Houston should pass on Young/Stroud either… they’ve been waiting on a QB far too long, plus have 12 to fill other needs. 

If Maye+Williams really are the generational talents everyone is so convinced of then pay the price to get them.  Or go with one of the other QBs like Ewers.  Herbert was QB3 and went 6th… that could be Ewers. Heck, Ewers could jump Maye.

I just think there’s options and anything can happen.  Heck, Jimmy G and JMD might hit it off and were happy keeping him for another year or two.  Or maybe he gets hurt early and we’re picking 1/2.

i’m just not going to crown Williams and Maye GENERATIONAL talents after 1 year of play.  

Ewers probably gets beat out by Arch Manning which means he’ll transfer mid season then prep for 2025 draft

Regardless, we can’t come out of this draft without some sort of QB. Draft another next year if we’re in position