2022 Around league

dll2000

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He wasn't even best RB on his own team in college.

I pointed this out in draft.

That’s true, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the explosiveness we saw on his college tape all of a sudden being absent. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s true, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the explosiveness we saw on his college tape all of a sudden being absent. 

He is soft for this level.  

Why football speed is always radically different than track speed. 

Why there always shorts and tshirt all stars in practice at every level of football.

Looking around the league a guy that really stands out to me who is a RFA this offseason is Tennessee DT Teair Tart...he doesn't put a ton up on the stat sheet, but he does a ton of dirty work for others on that Titans D and will play all of next year at only 26 years old...given our need for professional players up front we could target him as the Titans are already $15 million over the cap right now and will need to invest a ton of money in Jeffery Simmons so probably won't want to pay him a ton...

Only other two guys I will be interested to see what happens with are Cowboys OT Terence Steele & 9ers WR Jauan Jennings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He is soft for this level.  

Why football speed is always radically different than track speed. 

Why there always shorts and tshirt all stars in practice at every level of football.

Definitely. To be clear I wasn’t talking about his combine or pro day stuff I was talking about his Baylor game highlights. He looks noticeably slower than that film. He looks like he doesn’t belong at this level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking around the league a guy that really stands out to me who is a RFA this offseason is Tennessee DT Teair Tart...he doesn't put a ton up on the stat sheet, but he does a ton of dirty work for others on that Titans D and will play all of next year at only 26 years old...given our need for professional players up front we could target him as the Titans are already $15 million over the cap right now and will need to invest a ton of money in Jeffery Simmons so probably won't want to pay him a ton...

Only other two guys I will be interested to see what happens with are Cowboys OT Terence Steele & 9ers WR Jauan Jennings.

Jennings is a guy I like as a potential WR4 signing, but it wouldn’t shock me if they try to re-sign ESB for that role. I’d prefer a guy with more upside personally, but they clearly value what ESB does. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Jennings is a guy I like as a potential WR4 signing, but it wouldn’t shock me if they try to re-sign ESB for that role. I’d prefer a guy with more upside personally, but they clearly value what ESB does. 

I actually like ESB in that sort of role…I think we have some decent depth pieces like him but they are just being asked to play too many snaps right now.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I actually like ESB in that sort of role…I think we have some decent depth pieces like him but they are just being asked to play too many snaps right now.

Agreed. We need an impact player in the top 3 of our WR group. This draft class doesn’t have a Marvin Harrison Jr. (who looks a lot like Andre Johnson to me), but there are several who I see having WR1/WR2 potential: Johnston, Addison, JSN, Boutte, Rice, Hyatt

Looking at the post-round 1 guys and Rashee Rice is really intriguing to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. We need an impact player in the top 3 of our WR group. This draft class doesn’t have a Marvin Harrison Jr. (who looks a lot like Andre Johnson to me), but there are several who I see having WR1/WR2 potential: Johnston, Addison, JSN, Boutte, Rice, Hyatt

Looking at the post-round 1 guys and Rashee Rice is really intriguing to me. 

Props to @Madmike90 to being on the Rice train right away. The talent is obvious. He isn't super twitchy but he makes tough catches and given his size he's a red zone threat

I'm starting to open up to a slight trade down to get an extra one (Detroit, Houston, Philly) and trading the later 1 for a current WR who's a star who is on a team either about to be rebuilding, already sucks or wants a new deal. The one guy who comes to mind is Mike Evans. The issue is he's close to 30 but if Brady leaves I can easily see Tampa rebuilding

Michael Pittman, Deandre Hopkins, Gabe Davis and Tee Higgins are a few others who could fit into one of those categories

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Props to @Madmike90 to being on the Rice train right away. The talent is obvious. He isn't super twitchy but he makes tough catches and given his size he's a red zone threat

I'm starting to open up to a slight trade down to get an extra one (Detroit, Houston, Philly) and trading the later 1 for a current WR who's a star who is on a team either about to be rebuilding, already sucks or wants a new deal. The one guy who comes to mind is Mike Evans. The issue is he's close to 30 but if Brady leaves I can easily see Tampa rebuilding

Michael Pittman, Deandre Hopkins, Gabe Davis and Tee Higgins are a few others who could fit into one of those categories

Right now I would say it is pretty insane the difference in approach I would want us to take this offseason based purely on one spot in the draft...

Finish with the #3...draft Jalen Carter and be really aggressive in FA.

Finish with the #2 pick...trade down for more picks while being more selective in FA knowing you can create a ton of picks with making multiple trade downs...you could even trade down multiple times then trade the 1st for a quality WR/UT/DE.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Right now I would say it is pretty insane the difference in approach I would want us to take this offseason based purely on one spot in the draft...

Finish with the #3...draft Jalen Carter and be really aggressive in FA.

Finish with the #2 pick...trade down for more picks while being more selective in FA knowing you can create a ton of picks with making multiple trade downs...you could even trade down multiple times then trade the 1st for a quality WR/UT/DE.

Not only is there a huge difference in what I’d do between pick 2 or pick 3/4, but where everyone else ends up has a big impact too because I don’t wouldn’t want us to trade down too far either. I’d still want us picking in the top 10 for sure unless we trade down twice (not opposed, especially if both moves met us a future 1).

Here’s a trade down scenario I’m brainstorming right now with the use of the PFN draft simulator through my food coma from where things currently sit:

Pre-draft we trade with Houston: 1(3) for 1(7), 2(32) and one of their 2024 1s (they have both Cleveland’s and their own). HOU takes their choice of QB at 1 and probably their choice of Anderson/Carter at 3.

We then trade 1(7) and our 2024 3rd to IND for 1(14), 2(45) and their 2024 1st. That leaves us with:

1(14)

2(32)

2(45)

2(59)

3(66)

4(101)

4(131)

5(134)

5(156)

7(198)

We’d have plenty of ammo to make a big move trade-wise for an established impact player now, and if not a trade we have 5 picks in the top 66 and three 1s next year (no 3rd).

THAT, plus $100M+ in cap space, is a recipe for a rebuild. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not only is there a huge difference in what I’d do between pick 2 or pick 3/4, but where everyone else ends up has a big impact too because I don’t wouldn’t want us to trade down too far either. I’d still want us picking in the top 10 for sure unless we trade down twice (not opposed, especially if both moves met us a future 1).

Here’s a trade down scenario I’m brainstorming right now with the use of the PFN draft simulator through my food coma from where things currently sit:

Pre-draft we trade with Houston: 1(3) for 1(7), 2(32) and one of their 2024 1s (they have both Cleveland’s and their own). HOU takes their choice of QB at 1 and probably their choice of Anderson/Carter at 3.

We then trade 1(7) and our 2024 3rd to IND for 1(14), 2(45) and their 2024 1st. That leaves us with:

1(14)

2(32)

2(45)

2(59)

3(66)

4(101)

4(131)

5(134)

5(156)

7(198)

We’d have plenty of ammo to make a big move trade-wise for an established impact player now, and if not a trade we have 5 picks in the top 66 and three 1s next year (no 3rd).

THAT, plus $100M+ in cap space, is a recipe for a rebuild. 

This is awesome. I might steal this for a mock, but I don't want to trade away from Carter and Anderson but that would be a hell of a haul. The two 1's next year might make it too abstract for a mock too, IDK. In real life though, this is a hell of a win. At least 1-2 of Bresee, Porter Jr, Skoronski, or Broderick Jones should be available at 14. Definitely a step back from the potential star power I think Anderson and Carter have IMO but a few hits can make up a lot of difference. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

This is awesome. I might steal this for a mock, but I don't want to trade away from Carter and Anderson but that would be a hell of a haul. The two 1's next year might make it too abstract for a mock too, IDK. In real life though, this is a hell of a win. At least 1-2 of Bresee, Porter Jr, Skoronski, or Broderick Jones should be available at 14. Definitely a step back from the potential star power I think Anderson and Carter have IMO but a few hits can make up a lot of difference. 

That was kind of my thought too. And it has to make sense for HOU to want Anderson/Carter over the guys at 7 (it’s Lovie’s defense so could definitely see Carter as his bigger Tommie Harris). That’s so much draft capital though. Trade some of it for a star WR now, or, we have so much draft capital next year we could probably get to the top 5 to get Harrison Jr. next year even if we’re drafting in the 20s. Either way, it’d be a massive infusion of young upper tier prospects at the cost of going from, say, Anderson to Tyree Wilson in the immediate.

Feel free to mock it up - I don’t own it lol.

Where the real creativity in trades comes in is if we pick 2nd, though that might be somewhat limited if the team picking 3rd does not need a QB (since teams know we won’t be taking one).

Take the current draft order and just swap our draft position with CAR so we’re 2nd and they’re 3rd. Going back to the Colts (picking 14th), they probably don’t have the draft capital to jump to our pick (14/45/81 this year plus future picks). BUT, what if they offered us something like 14 plus DeForest Buckner (29 next year; $0 in dead cap for them to move post-2022) and Michael Pittman? If you’re the Bears, you can’t turn that down, right? Would they be desperate enough for a QB to make a move like that? Maybe.

Another super intriguing situation in this hypothetical (us 2, CAR 3) is, how much would CAR be willing to trade to move up 1 spot and keep us from selling the pick to the highest bidder to jump them for QB2? You’d have to throw the pick value formula out of the equation, right? How much would it take from CAR to not trade down for (probably) multiple 1sts and then some? Would they trade this and next year’s 2 to move up 1 spot? Would that be enough for Poles for us to not take a more lucrative offer to go down a few more picks? Would Poles move from 2 to 3 for DJ Moore instead of to 6 or 7 for multiple #1 picks? Would CAR move Moore to lock in an elite QB prospect? Maybe. Moore is an established stud, and a draft pick is still an unknown you’d only hope to be as good a player as Moore. Plus, in a move from 2 to 3 for a stud player, you still get Anderson or Carter at 3 too (or can trade down again for more).

This draft season has the potential to be the most fascinating draft maybe ever if we end up picking high enough. 

• Like 1