2018 Midseason NFL Mock Draft

Shylo3716

6 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

We'd take Derwin over Minkah, and new york giants are going qb all the way. And new york holds a tie breaker over sf so they should be picking 2nd

I took into consideration that Fitzpatrick can play either CB or S, and with the continuous injuries Jason Verrett has been suffering, it may be time to look into that direction of another CB.

As for the #2 spot in the current standings. San Francisco is 1-9 while New York is 1-8. Despite losing to San Francisco, they currently have a better record.

Also, New York needs O-Line help more than anything. They could select a QB, which is another need, but what good is drafting a guy if you cannot protect him or Eli Manning?

Just now, Shylo3716 said:

You do know that the Mock was updated prior to you responding to this, right?

You do know I was responding to someone else, and wasn't talking about the placement of the player in question, right? 

Maybe it was confusing. But he makes mocks as well and I think it's shocking he doesn't know Orlando Brown.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You do know I was responding to someone else, and wasn't talking about the placement of the player in question, right? 

Maybe it was confusing. But he makes mocks as well and I think it's shocking he doesn't know Orlando Brown.

My apologies for the confusion. I honestly thought you were referring to me when you said, you shouldn’t be making mocks, because my original post was quoted as well.

Just based off the type of player that Wade Phillips defenses tend to plug and play (and based off this year's draft, management allowed the coaching staff heavy input on their preferences for player types and roles to fill), if the Rams take a corner in the 1st, it'd be McFadden or Ken Webster (I could be wrong, but I don't see a strong case for him going back with the season he's having and no reason to believe Ole Miss is going to compete next season) as both just plain have superior hips and feet in addition to being able to play press-man.

39 minutes ago, Classic said:

Isn't Minkah Fitzpatrick a CB turning Safety. Why would Chargers want that? Just take Derwin James who's more natural at the position, besides the real Athletic freak is James.

People are dropping James because he hasn't been the highlight factory he was pre-injury. He's still fantastic, I think.

13 hours ago, Classic said:

Isn't Minkah Fitzpatrick a CB turning Safety. Why would Chargers want that? Just take Derwin James who's more natural at the position, besides the real Athletic freak is James.

The reality is, the Chargers wouldn't be selecting a 1st round safety anyway.  People love to project it, but there's just a litany of reasons they wouldn't do it:

1) Telesco has always spent his 1st round pick filling the biggest weakness of the previous season's team - and that weakness this year isn't a play-making safety.

2) They have too many recent investments into the safety position (2 draft picks in 2017 if you count King as a safety - which he sees time at in that 3rd-safety role in the scheme and a fat contract extension to Jahleel Addae which isn't escapable until a potential out in 2019 (they're not going to draft someone to start over him with what they're paying him in 2018).

3) The front office has shown time and time again that they just plain don't value safety as an early-priority need.

You could actually make a stronger case for the Chargers drafting Lamar Miller than a safety.  And if they were drafting Fitzpatrick it would be with an eye towards playing him at CB.  

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

The reality is, the Chargers wouldn't be selecting a 1st round safety anyway.  People love to project it, but there's just a litany of reasons they wouldn't do it:

1) Telesco has always spent his 1st round pick filling the biggest weakness of the previous season's team - and that weakness this year isn't a play-making safety.

2) They have too many recent investments into the safety position (2 draft picks in 2017 if you count King as a safety - which he sees time at in that 3rd-safety role in the scheme and a fat contract extension to Jahleel Addae which isn't escapable until a potential out in 2019 (they're not going to draft someone to start over him with what they're paying him in 2018).

3) The front office has shown time and time again that they just plain don't value safety as an early-priority need.

You could actually make a stronger case for the Chargers drafting Lamar Miller than a safety.  And if they were drafting Fitzpatrick it would be with an eye towards playing him at CB.  

Those are good reasons but I'm hopeful Dean fires TT at the end of this terrible season and the next G.M does better job of focusing on Safety play.

4 minutes ago, Classic said:

Those are good reasons but I'm hopeful Dean fires TT at the end of this terrible season and the next G.M does better job of focusing on Safety play.

Thing is, it's not even really an issue.  Tackling is an issue and that predates Telesco.

Also, I wouldn't count on Spanos firing anyone before their contract is up and he extended through the 2019 season back in 2015, so he won't be gone any sooner than that.  For one, Dean is a cheap bastard who isn't going to pay someone to not work for him.  For another, the Spanos clan have a unique ability to delude themselves into believing that something that's underperforming is, in fact, doing fantastically.  This is the same family that is convinced that their community outreach (which has been in the bottom 5% of the league for almost a decade and involves almost strictly just throwing money at organizations) is outstanding (not "okay," not "good," outstanding...).

Archived