Ms Marvel - Disney+

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Finale was a great back to what works episode. Kamala needs her gang for sure. 

There are still a ton of questions. They way Kamran described being torn from the inside out I wonder if he is somehow now a doorway to the Noar. Which, we still have very little info on or how they are connected to the Kree (the blue hand in the flashback). Hoping we get Zoey/Nakia pairing in the future. Zoey was great in this episode, good face turn. Her family's reaction to her being Ms. Marvel was great, and I love that her dad gives her that name. 

Im not sold on the Mutant thing. Yes, they played the theme, but it could still be a red herring. Again, kree arm HAS to be meaningful. They COULD be combining Inhumans and Mutants in the MCU. The Kree played genetics with humans but it took generations to come to fruition and it follows Mutant rules rather than Inhuman rules (get your terrigen mist outta here). 

Complete aside, Brie Larson looked fantastic in the mid credits. That new suit, her hair, and got dang she seems to be in amazing shape. 

I'm really curious where they go with that storyline. 

Also - I really hope Ms. Marvel's actress works on her pitch...she gets really high-pitched whiny when she's trying to vocalize certain emotions. 

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not sold on the Mutant thing. Yes, they played the theme, but it could still be a red herring. Again, kree arm HAS to be meaningful. They COULD be combining Inhumans and Mutants in the MCU. The Kree played genetics with humans but it took generations to come to fruition and it follows Mutant rules rather than Inhuman rules (get your terrigen mist outta here). 

Complete aside, Brie Larson looked fantastic in the mid credits. That new suit, her hair, and got dang she seems to be in amazing shape. 

I think they could just be culling the Nuhumans, all of them just shifting to mutants instead. They only made them because of not having the movie license for the mutants. Now that it’s in house again they can sorta reverse that.

Still leaves plenty of room to eventually do the Royal Family though. Could be explored through the Eternals sequel, given the shared origin.

And yeah, Brie looked awesome. The new suit is soooo much better. I’m actually excited for The Marvels. Loved Monica and Kamala, if they figured out Carol in this one it could be pretty good.

• Like 2

Quotes from the series creator 

DEADLINE: Is Carol Danvers’ appearance in Kamala’s room connected in any way to Kamala’s DNA mutation?

ALI: It will all be revealed in the movie. I was excited to help set up all these riddles for you guys that will lead into the movie where the story continues.

DEADLINE: What can you say about Kamala’s mutation?

ALI: As Bruno says, there’s a mutation in her DNA. I think the music cues have a lot to tell you about what’s to come. [Note: The music playing during that scene is the theme from the X-Men animated series from the 1990s. Ali would not elaborate further on the connection.]

• Like 1

Show wrapped up nicely after dragging in the middle. Only thing in the finale that was a kind of a groaner was the Home Alone plan towards the end. 

The two Easter eggs that were revealed...indifferent about the first one...second one I'm more interested in, and wondering how it will be explained in The Marvels. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Sana Amanat, character co-creator and series producer, confirms this is them retconning Kamala to be a mutant…as the originally intended.

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/ms-marvel-finale-reveal-sana-amanat-interview-exclusive/

“We've been talking about it for some time,” Amanat states of connecting Kamala’s story to the mythology of mutants. “Here's a really important thing that people do not know – when we were thinking about the character of Kamala back, back, back in the day in 2012, 2013, when [G.] Willow [Wilson, comic book writer] and myself were ideating, we originally wanted to make her a mutant. That was the whole intention, to be able to do that.” In the series, they were able to get back to that initial idea. “Is she a mutant, question mark?” asks Amanat self-reflexively, tip-toeing around the reveal with the Marvel police potentially listening in. “I don't know. I don't know, guys! All I know is that we use the word 'mutation', and that's all I can say.” Whatever it means for Kamala’s own story, it is a hint of bigger things to come in the MCU. “I will say, I think this is opening up doors for a lot of great storytelling, obviously, as a huge fan, um... of the word 'mutation’,” she laughs. “I’m really happy about it.”

For those that don’t know the full story, Ike Perlmutter (Marvel CEO who bought in when they were almost bankrupt) basically handed down the directive to move away from properties they didn’t own the film rights to (sold off during previously mentioned near-bankruptcy). One of the more notable moves was to prop up the Inhumans as a new main team and thing in Marvel comics to the levels of the mutants. This was done with changing certain characters to fit and introducing the “Nuhumans”, inhumans who all were transformed and bolstered the numbers. He then told Feige to do a film. Along with shooting down Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, other films and probably the Spider-man deal doesn’t happen. Which was the incident that made Feige threaten to quit and then gain full control of the films. Once that control happened he took the Inhumans film off the slate and it became that terrible show under the control of Marvel proper. 

Now that Marvel fully owns the mutants they can undo some of that stuff, if not in the comics then in the MCU.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished this series up.

Casting, very good job
Effects, largely pretty good, except when the other dimension stoned and skeletoned two of the bad guys that looked really cheesy.
Direction, innovative and interesting
Writing...........woof.  That was largely CW level writing.  Once again uninspiring bad guys.  Very disjointed narrative and while where they started and ended worked out pretty well, did a pretty lackluster job with the journey.

I enjoyed it overall, definitely still in on The Marvels, but they should have let someone else take another pass at this script.

24 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Once again uninspiring bad guys.  Very disjointed narrative and while where they started and ended worked out pretty well, did a pretty lackluster job with the journey.

the whole pakistan excursion was so poorly executed and jarring. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, THE DUKE said:

I actually liked the whole Asha backstory, but the timing of it and then the rushed aftermath was so so choppy.

Yeah this is how I feel after watching the entire thing. It was a decent first attempt. They just need to clean up a few things.