Ms Marvel - Disney+

Deadpulse

11 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Strong start with episode 1 IMO

Was fun. Enjoyed a lot of the characters. I’m glad they can slant stuff to a certain demo like this and still golfo a good job. I’d like to see more of that over time with other target audiences too.

The Scott Pilgrimy style really adds to things. That opening animatic did a really good job at setting things up. Who she was but also did perhaps the best pitch for Captain Marvel being fan girl worthy at this point. Like that’s totally fair that everyone saw her demolish the fleet and square up against Thanos….putting her in a rare tier.

• Like 1

Pretty good.  I really liked the visual style they used, fit the content well.  I assume we'll get some sort of reason why the bracelet gave her magic powers, so i'll withold any judgement on that, but it sure felt rather mcguffiny.  Most of the characters are pretty stereotypical so far, but one episode in i'll let that slide a little as well as long as we get some character growth.

Not sure if the trailer giving me low expectations is what did it. But I thought episode 1 was pretty solid. I have a few gripes but nothing major. I’ll check out next week for sure.

Captain Marvel is probably my least favorite Avenger, and actress, so I’m curious if this keeps my interest.

FYI, there is a mid-credits scene. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I assume we'll get some sort of reason why the bracelet gave her magic powers, so i'll withold any judgement on that, but it sure felt rather mcguffiny. 

Yeah hopefully there is a solid explanation 

I’m hoping we get phases of her powers. Like this is phase one, then eventually her bracelet is broken. She gets to deal with was she only a hero because of some bracelet.

Then she gets exposed to the terrigen mist and gets gherkin comic powers. Gives her a complicated relationship of she really is a hero but her powers aren’t as pretty or cool looking in her mind now.

23 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah hopefully there is a solid explanation 

I’m hoping we get phases of her powers. Like this is phase one, then eventually her bracelet is broken. She gets to deal with was she only a hero because of some bracelet.

Then she gets exposed to the terrigen mist and gets gherkin comic powers. Gives her a complicated relationship of she really is a hero but her powers aren’t as pretty or cool looking in her mind now.

What is absolutely paramount is that she has to go through some sort of struggle in a heroes journey other than "i'm a teenager and my parents don't understand me".  Without stakes, this has little chance to be more than fluff.

• Like 2

Honestly I wasn't impressed, idk if it's the style or what (the show obviously isn't geared towards a 35 year old man, lol) but to me it was by far the weakest 1st episode of any of the marvel shows on disney+ so far. 

Don't get me wrong I'm still going to watch it because I'll pretty much watch anything marvel but I don't expect to really like this one much.

I do like the actress that plays Kamala though, thought she did a decent job. 

I really loved that first episode. I do agree, I want her to go on more of a journey than just with per parents because, well that isn't as interesting. But one with her powers and finding out something about her Grandmother with the wedding and what that means for her family history, that's intriguing. Plus, that DoDC guy, and the DoDC they seem like they might be antagonists for the series, at least to some level. I've heard rumors/theories that think he's a Skrull and that it's Kree tech, which is what the Inhumans got their powers from anyways, that is powering up Ms Marvel, and he's worried about Kree sleeper cells which will lead into Secret Invasion eventually.

• Like 1

My wife and I watched the first episode last night. I really, really enjoyed it. The main character, and the actress by extension, is super endearing. The parents are great. I love the Scott Pilgrim-esque elements of it. I almost wish this wasn't a Marvel property, because we all know how it is going to end (her punching somebody, I'm sure). It's super fun! Reminds me of the parts I loved most about Hawkeye, which were Clint and Kate interacting. Not sure how diligent I will be about watching it every Wednesday, but I'm absolutely going to keep watching.

• Like 2