NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Rudy Gobert trade just made any potential KD trade much more difficult thus making it harder for Kyrie to force his way to the Lakers. He mentioned the Nets getting Donovan in a 3 team deal when it's literally impossible.

That literally doesn't make any sense.  Minnesota wasn't going to get involved with Kevin Durant.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Not sure if it was posted last night. Dude really cost himself over $100 Million by being a POS.

Hopefully there’s actual consequences aside from not getting a giant nba contract 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That literally doesn't make any sense.  Minnesota wasn't going to get involved with Kevin Durant.

It has nothing to do with the Wolves being involved with Durant. And everything to do with the fact they traded 5 players and basically 5 unprotected 1sts for Rudy. He reset the trade market. 

If that’s what you’re getting for Rudy, the Nets are going to want more for Durant. Is that hard for you to understand?

Edited by NYRaider

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes some guy that was the first one to drop the CP3 to Phoenix news is pushing it hard. 

So we'd be looking at:

Utah receives: DeAndre Ayton, Ben Simmons

Phoenix receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: Donovan Mitchell, Mikal Bridges, Walker Kessler, 2023 Charlotte 1st Round Pick, 2025 Phoenix 1st Round Pick, 2027 Phoenix 1st Round Pick

Or just a trade between Utah and Phoenix:

Utah receives: DeAndre Ayton

Phoenix receives: Walker Kessler, Bojan Bogdanovic, Patrick Beverly, 2023 Charlotte 1st Round Pick, 2025 Minnesota 1st Round Pick

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It has nothing to do with the Wolves being involved with Durant. And everything to do with the fact they traded 5 players and basically 5 unprotected 1sts for Rudy. He reset the trade market. 

If that’s what you’re getting for Rudy, the Nets are going to want more for Durant. Is that hard for you to understand?

Your details are wrong, but that's okay.  It was highly unlikely to be a 2-team deal with Kevin Durant going to Phoenix anyways.  It was always going to involve at least two if not more teams besides Brooklyn.  But I'm still not sure I understand it from Utah's perspective.  You're giving up Donovan Mitchell for Ben Simmons and DeAndre Ayton?  I'm not sure I'd do that from Utah's perspective, and then if Brooklyn wants to exceed the draft capital return they're probably not getting Utah to pony up more picks.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your details are wrong, but that's okay.  It was highly unlikely to be a 2-team deal with Kevin Durant going to Phoenix anyways.  It was always going to involve at least two if not more teams besides Brooklyn.  But I'm still not sure I understand it from Utah's perspective.  You're giving up Donovan Mitchell for Ben Simmons and DeAndre Ayton?  I'm not sure I'd do that from Utah's perspective, and then if Brooklyn wants to exceed the draft capital return they're probably not getting Utah to pony up more picks.

They'd be giving up Mitchell for Simmons/Ayton/draft picks and a total culture reset. Still not sure I'd do it if I'm Utah but if Mitchell wants out or they want a re-do it's not that bad.

Going off that tweet there, and Brooklyn's reluctance to take back Russell Westbrook, I wonder if that 3rd team needs to be a team with cap space to take on Russell Westbrook.  Given Pop's history, I'm not sure that the Spurs wouldn't ask for the moon out of LA and not be willing to give anything to Brooklyn, so might Indiana be a good intermediary for Westbrook?

Lakers Receive:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
Draft rights to F Marty Leunen
'29 LAL FRP (unprotected)

Indiana Pacers Receive:
PG Russell Westbrook
Draft rights to F Nemanja Dangubic
'27 FRP (unprotected)
'26 FRP (swap)

The picks can be moved around, but given how much the player pool has dried up this year it could make sense for each team.  For the Lakers, they give up cap flexibility and all FRPs they can trade for Kyrie Irving and Buddy Hield.  For Brooklyn, they shave nearly $37M of the books which creates a massive TPE and they get back another pick.  For Indiana, they clear long-term money and get a pick back as well as a pick swap.  It could also include a Nunn/THT for Harris swap.

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And we know Ainge loves winning trades not just value wise but how it’s perceived.  If he’s trading Mitchell for Ayton/Simmons he’s getting a boatload of unprotected picks.  And if that’s the case is Mitchell/Bridges alone enough KD/Simmons.

1 minute ago, DirtyDez said:

And we know Ainge loves winning trades not just value wise but how it’s perceived.  If he’s trading Mitchell for Ayton/Simmons he’s getting a boatload of unprotected picks.  And if that’s the case is Mitchell/Bridges alone enough KD/Simmons.

Pretty much.  I'd love for it to make sense, but if Utah is doing a cultural reset I don't think it's with Ben Simmons as their highlight.

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

According to rival NBA executives who’ve spoken to the Nets, the asking price remains high for 12-time All-Star Kevin Durant, and is expected to go up following the boatload of draft picks the Timberwolves gave up to acquire Rudy Gobert. Brooklyn is seeking a combination of the best assets from teams, including any All-Star player(s), rising young players with All-Star potential and substantial unprotected draft picks and pick swaps where applicable

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much.  I'd love for it to make sense, but if Utah is doing a cultural reset I don't think it's with Ben Simmons as their highlight.

And for the record I don’t think that we’d trade for Ayton in a package that we received Ayton. If we’re trading for Ayton it’s more likely that we redirect the 2023 1sts we got from Minnesota and Brooklyn with someone like Bojan Bogdanovic to pair Ayton with Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

According to rival NBA executives who’ve spoken to the Nets, the asking price remains high for 12-time All-Star Kevin Durant, and is expected to go up following the boatload of draft picks the Timberwolves gave up to acquire Rudy Gobert. Brooklyn is seeking a combination of the best assets from teams, including any All-Star player(s), rising young players with All-Star potential and substantial unprotected draft picks and pick swaps where applicable

I was saying the 5 unprotected FRP comment was wrong.  From what I saw, it was unprotected picks in '23, '25', and '27 along with a top-5 protected pick '29 as well as a pick swap in '26.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And for the record I don’t think that we’d trade for Ayton in a package that we received Ayton. If we’re trading for Ayton it’s more likely that we redirect the 2023 1sts we got from Minnesota and Brooklyn with someone like Bojan Bogdanovic to pair Ayton with Mitchell.

Don't disagree.  That's why I don't think that Suns/Nets/Jazz rumor makes all that much sense.  If you're Utah, you want Donovan Mitchell to play next to DeAndre Ayton.  Not trade Mitchell for Ayton.  You'd need a TON of shooters around a Simmons/Ayton pairing.

• Like 1