NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even in a hypothetical situation where they trade Kyrie for 0 salary coming back they’re still likely going to be in the tax after they fill out their roster. 

How do you figure?  Spotrac has them about $22.7M over the luxury tax.  Unless they're planning on using that TPE to acquire another player, they're stuck with minimum salary players and that won't get them anywhere near the luxury tax line.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

How do you figure?  Spotrac has them about $22.7M over the luxury tax.  Unless they're planning on using that TPE to acquire another player, they're stuck with minimum salary players and that won't get them anywhere near the luxury tax line.

That's without Patty Mills contract on their books, after that move goes through they'll be $30M over the luxury tax line. So even if they trade Kyrie for $0 money back after they fill their roster out with minimum guys they'll be over the tax line again because they'd only have 11 players under contract. 

ETA: If they trade KD for multiple players they could squeak right under it. But I really don't see the Spurs eating Westbrook's entire contract and the Nets walking away without taking at least one contract back.

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's without Patty Mills contract on their books, after that move goes through they'll be $30M over the luxury tax line. So even if they trade Kyrie for $0 money back after they fill their roster out with minimum guys they'll be over the tax line again because they'd only have 11 players under contract. 

ETA: If they trade KD for multiple players they could squeak right under it. But I really don't see the Spurs eating Westbrook's entire contract and the Nets walking away without taking at least one contract back.

So add an additional $7M to that number.  They're over the luxury tax by $29.7M with 12 players under contract.  Figure ~$1.5M/player, and they're still dipping under the luxury tax by about $1.5M with an open roster spot assuming my math is correct.  I've got them just under the luxury tax in an Irving salary dump.  A Kevin Durant trade probably drops them further.

LIS, I think it goes back to what does Brooklyn want/need in a Kyrie Irving trade.  If they want to maximize the cap relief they're going to get, then they'll need to resign themselves to the fact that there just won't be much in the way of draft capital going their way.  It'll likely need to go to San Antonio in that sense.  If they want to maximize their draft pick return, then they're probably going to need to accept Russell Westbrook and re-route Seth Curry to a 3rd team that sends more draft capital back to Brooklyn.  If it's something in the middle, then perhaps we see San Antonio send Josh Richardson to the Lakers and Doug McDermott to the Nets.  The Nets TPE being generated would only be just under $23.2M.  The Spurs wold be renting out $21M of their cap space in that deal.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So add an additional $7M to that number.  They're over the luxury tax by $29.7M with 12 players under contract.  Figure ~$1.5M/player, and they're still dipping under the luxury tax by about $1.5M with an open roster spot assuming my math is correct.  I've got them just under the luxury tax in an Irving salary dump.  A Kevin Durant trade probably drops them further.

LIS, I think it goes back to what does Brooklyn want/need in a Kyrie Irving trade.  If they want to maximize the cap relief they're going to get, then they'll need to resign themselves to the fact that there just won't be much in the way of draft capital going their way.  It'll likely need to go to San Antonio in that sense.  If they want to maximize their draft pick return, then they're probably going to need to accept Russell Westbrook and re-route Seth Curry to a 3rd team that sends more draft capital back to Brooklyn.  If it's something in the middle, then perhaps we see San Antonio send Josh Richardson to the Lakers and Doug McDermott to the Nets.  The Nets TPE being generated would only be just under $23.2M.  The Spurs wold be renting out $21M of their cap space in that deal.

It'll take some salary cap gymnastics for them to get under the tax line, even if they move KD/Kyrie. And I'd guess that Kyrie being traded with $0 money coming back would have to be the biggest salary dump in NBA history, right? 

I don't think that depending on Pop to bite the bullet for the Lakers so they can get back into contention is realistic. Maybe if the Lakers had something that could help them in the near future but anything they'd get from the Lakers would be a total unknown because it's just so far off. And as I said before you can't really look at the Lakers lack of draft assets as a reason to count them out of building a roster that can contend or turn it around almost immediately. 

The clock is ticking for the Suns/Nets to get a deal done, the Pacers have the cap space to sign Ayton to an offer sheet now that the Brogdon deal is official. If they don't I don't think Brooklyn moves Durant or Kyrie unless they have a sudden change of heart and are willing to take a package of Herro, Duncan, Lowry, 2023/2028 1sts for Durant.

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'm still a little confused by the rookie max extension rule.  How can the Jazz acquire both Simmons and Ayton, like some are rumoring in here?  Does Ayton not apply to the rule in a sign and trade?

The rule is  you can only trade for 1, 5 year rookie max contracts.  I am guessing Ayton would get an offer from Utah for a 4 year max since they cant offer 5, AZ would match and do a sign and trade at that contract. 

29 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The rule is  you can only trade for 1, 5 year rookie max contracts.  I am guessing Ayton would get an offer from Utah for a 4 year max since they cant offer 5, AZ would match and do a sign and trade at that contract. 

assuming you meant they would sign and trade him to utah, you can’t trade a guy to the team that gave him the offer sheet for a year

and he gets a full no trade clause for a year

Edited by catcheryea

8 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

assuming you meant they would sign and trade him to utah, you can’t trade a guy to the team that gave him the offer sheet for a year

and he gets a full no trade clause for a year

Can someone else give him an offersheet then?  If say the Nets do, they match and then they move him to Utah? Obviously assuming he would be ok with it and waives the no trade?

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Can someone else give him an offersheet then?  If say the Nets do, they match and then they move him to Utah? Obviously assuming he would be ok with it and waives the no trade?

i believe the earliest he could be traded anywhere if phoenix matches is december 15th

2 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i believe the earliest he could be traded anywhere if phoenix matches is december 15th

So the only way he could end up in Utah with Simmons would be if Utah offered him the 4 year max and the Suns don't match it. Which would mean its not part of the trade at all. 

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So the only way he could end up in Utah with Simmons would be if Utah offered him the 4 year max and the Suns don't match it. Which would mean its not part of the trade at all. 

i think if they just make it a regular sign and trade for not the 5 year max that would work