UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Not really.  You'll get a lot of different answers here.

The current hot candidates are Carmichael, DeFilippo, Reich and LaFleur.

OK. That sounds about right?

Not any...lesser candidates that wouldn't be any good like Pat Shurmur or George Edwards right? Lulz

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

OK. That sounds about right?

Not any...lesser candidates that wouldn't be any good like Pat Shurmur or George Edwards right? Lulz

Curious about Shurmur... your thoughts on him? I'd have to think Pace would be interested just based on what he's done with Case freaking Keenum

On 14/12/2017 at 1:19 AM, Sugashane said:

@Madmike90 Now that you have had some time, what did you think about the Eagles/Rams game?

My main takeaway from it is the Eagles offence clearly has straight up more talent...if your looking at position group vs. Position group the only on the Rams win would be RB and even that is very close...I think both offences are inventive but I think that Rams offence puts lesser talented players in more of a position to win...I also really worry about the sheer amount of hits the Eagles allow their QB to take...I am bais because I love that Shanahan with a deep threat twist offence but still I feel it fits our guys better and it will be easier to find the remaining peices...only concern is how they didn't seem to have anyway of getting Tavon Austin the ball in space.

15 hours ago, G08 said:

Curious about Shurmur... your thoughts on him? I'd have to think Pace would be interested just based on what he's done with Case freaking Keenum

I think he's by far the biggest reason for our offense's success. there are a lot of good pieces on the team (Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Rieff etc.) but he's managed to put it together, and keep it going even after losing his top QB and RB for the year. 

He's put Case in a good situation, giving him full control of the offense, letting him audible out of plays, let him use his legs to his advantage.

and he's managed to scheme guys open. It was very evident when Dalvin Cook was playing. He'd set him up to be the decoy, lining up on one side out wide and the other side with 3 receivers...the defense keyed in on the receivers leaving Cook 1 on 1 and exploiting the matchup.

yeah, Shurmur has been the real deal so far.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

My main takeaway from it is the Eagles offence clearly has straight up more talent...if your looking at position group vs. Position group the only on the Rams win would be RB and even that is very close...I think both offences are inventive but I think that Rams offence puts lesser talented players in more of a position to win...I also really worry about the sheer amount of hits the Eagles allow their QB to take...I am bais because I love that Shanahan with a deep threat twist offence but still I feel it fits our guys better and it will be easier to find the remaining peices...only concern is how they didn't seem to have anyway of getting Tavon Austin the ball in space.

I am hoping to have The Book of Defillippo out today and I would add to the differences.

The Eagles and Rams both run spread offense with 3WR sets and a TE that they move all over the formation. Both will go 2 TE sets, but the 2nd TEs are flex guys in Everett and Burton.

The Rams go vertical a ton. The Eagles tend to pound the 10-20 range.

The Rams zone block. The Eagles do a little zone, but they run more power pulling every single lineman throughout the game.

The Rams throw a ton to the RB. The Eagles do not, but the RB is in the route a lot he just doesn't get the ball like Gurley.

The Rams do not help their OL in protection ever. The Eagles do not help them often.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am hoping to have The Book of Defillippo out today and I would add to the differences.

The Eagles and Rams both run spread offense with 3WR sets and a TE that they move all over the formation. Both will go 2 TE sets, but the 2nd TEs are flex guys in Everett and Burton.

The Rams go vertical a ton. The Eagles tend to pound the 10-20 range.

The Rams zone block. The Eagles do a little zone, but they run more power pulling every single lineman throughout the game.

The Rams throw a ton to the RB. The Eagles do not, but the RB is in the route a lot he just doesn't get the ball like Gurley.

The Rams do not help their OL in protection ever. The Eagles do not help them often.

Can't wait to read it!

I think we need to upgrade at RT, clearly, if this is the way we want to operate. Any names in FA that jump out at anyone?

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Can't wait to read it!

I think we need to upgrade at RT, clearly, if this is the way we want to operate. Any names in FA that jump out at anyone?

Tre Burton-Flex TE that we could steal right from the Eagles.

Taylor Gabriel and Terrelle Pryor played for him as young WRs in Cleveland.

Basically they have a ton of size on the outside and they get those guys 1 on 1 by sending the TE vertical and attacking the middle with Agholor. The Rams struggled to help on Jeffery and Smith because the underneath defenders were busy in the middle.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think he's by far the biggest reason for our offense's success. there are a lot of good pieces on the team (Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Rieff etc.) but he's managed to put it together, and keep it going even after losing his top QB and RB for the year. 

He's put Case in a good situation, giving him full control of the offense, letting him audible out of plays, let him use his legs to his advantage.

and he's managed to scheme guys open. It was very evident when Dalvin Cook was playing. He'd set him up to be the decoy, lining up on one side out wide and the other side with 3 receivers...the defense keyed in on the receivers leaving Cook 1 on 1 and exploiting the matchup.

yeah, Shurmur has been the real deal so far.

You think he's ready to be a head coach again? Is your run game power/man blocking or are you more of a zone based system?

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

You think he's ready to be a head coach again? Is your run game power/man blocking or are you more of a zone based system?

Its power/man scheme. power spread offense (I actually didn't know that was a type of offense until I read this article this past offseason haha)

Read this to get a better idea though:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/3/22/15005234/what-does-pat-shurmur-have-in-store-for-the-vikings-offense

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Tre Burton-Flex TE that we could steal right from the Eagles.

Taylor Gabriel and Terrelle Pryor played for him as young WRs in Cleveland.

Basically they have a ton of size on the outside and they get those guys 1 on 1 by sending the TE vertical and attacking the middle with Agholor. The Rams struggled to help on Jeffery and Smith because the underneath defenders were busy in the middle.

I think Burton is gonna get PAID personally. If Dion Sims got $6M per on a multi-year deal (only the 19th highest AAV for a TE by the way) then I expect Burton will too and may do better. Other guys around there are Vance McDonald ($6.55M per), Jack Doyle ($6.3M per) and Jared Cook ($5.3M per). Burton can argue to being on those guys’ level. Because of that I don’t think that we’re going to be in on his market at all. I think we’re more likely to be in the Daniel Fells lower tier TE market, and that’s only if we move on from Sims which I don’t see as a given at all.

54 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think Burton is gonna get PAID personally. If Dion Sims got $6M per on a multi-year deal (only the 19th highest AAV for a TE by the way) then I expect Burton will too and may do better. Other guys around there are Vance McDonald ($6.55M per), Jack Doyle ($6.3M per) and Jared Cook ($5.3M per). Burton can argue to being on those guys’ level. Because of that I don’t think that we’re going to be in on his market at all. I think we’re more likely to be in the Daniel Fells lower tier TE market, and that’s only if we move on from Sims which I don’t see as a given at all.

I think Sims gets cut. At this point he is just in shaheens way.

I would have no issues paying Burton 6-7 million. The Bears need pass catchers, doesn't matter where they play to me

Archived