UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

11 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

And yet only one of those players has been in the Super Bowl.  The Bears need good coaching and Trubisky to be an actual franchise QB.

Getting to the Super Bowl cannot be the benchmark it’s consistently in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Getting to the Super Bowl cannot be the benchmark it’s consistently in the playoffs.

For that team getting to the Super Bowl is the bench mark not one and done like they have done half the time, it is the same for the Patriots.

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Here’s a name that hasn’t really been brought up, but what if Bill O’Brien becomes available?

Is he really that good of a coach though?  I mean 32-32 overall as a head coach in the NFL over the past 4 seasons isn't exactly anything to be overly excited about but I guess when we've had to endure Fox's 13-32 record the past 3 years this is much better in comparison.

Only thing I can say that intrigues me about O'Brien is how he was adapting the HOU offense to Watson's strengths and had him playing very good football earlier in the season.  I think they'd be dumb to fire him just because of that.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Agreed - looking at the Steelers I see brown bell Ben decastro pouncey.

We need players like this.

While it'd be nice, they don't even need guys like Brown and Bell, they just need some play makers and competent starters at the skill positions.  I think Bears are set at RB for the next few years with Howard and Cohen.  Just need to add some better depth behind them.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

While it'd be nice, they don't even need guys like Brown and Bell, they just need some play makers and competent starters at the skill positions.  I think Bears are set at RB for the next few years with Howard and Cohen.  Just need to add some better depth behind them.

I still think they need a backup who’s capable of starting. If Howard were to go down we can’t have 170-lb Tarik Cohen toting the rock as our primary ball carrier. To me that means either a mid-round draft pick or a vet signing who’s been a capable starter previously. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Is he really that good of a coach though?  I mean 32-32 overall as a head coach in the NFL over the past 4 seasons isn't exactly anything to be overly excited about but I guess when we've had to endure Fox's 13-32 record the past 3 years this is much better in comparison.

Only thing I can say that intrigues me about O'Brien is how he was adapting the HOU offense to Watson's strengths and had him playing very good football earlier in the season.  I think they'd be dumb to fire him just because of that.

That team has largely been in QB hell for a lot of his tenure. You’re not wrong though. There’s plenty of room for debate.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Chasing the next “McVay” really scares me. LaFleur, Nagy, DeFillipo... they may be good QB guys or playcallers, and that’s an important factor, but can they be good head coaches?

I don’t want to see the Bears get a lesser candidate because they were busy trying to imitate what another team (LA/PHI) did.

2 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Chasing the next “McVay” really scares me. LaFleur, Nagy, DeFillipo... they may be good QB guys or playcallers, and that’s an important factor, but can they be good head coaches?

I don’t want to see the Bears get a lesser candidate because they were busy trying to imitate what another team (LA/PHI) did.

Who else is there tho?

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah and the vast majority are young offensive minds...I think that is just the way the NFL is going.

Probably so, but it’s also naive to assume the best QB coaches/playcallers are automatically the most qualified candidates. I’d hope that all teams in the HC market tread carefully in that regard.

Archived