UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

People stump for his ouster all the time. He’s not involved in football ops at all at this point. George has said so. Phillips himself has said so. Pretty sure Pace has said so too at some point. 

I want to believe that, but I vividly recall that sweaty asshat arrogantly stating that Pace reports to him.

"Ryan is going to oversee the entire football operation," team president Ted Phillips said as he introduced Pace.

OK, that was fine, but Phillips then added, "He is going to report directly to me, the head coach will report directly to Ryan."

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I want to believe that, but I vividly recall that sweaty asshat arrogantly stating that Pace reports to him.

"Ryan is going to oversee the entire football operation," team president Ted Phillips said as he introduced Pace.

OK, that was fine, but Phillips then added, "He is going to report directly to me, the head coach will report directly to Ryan."

So who is Pace supposed to report to if not Phillips?

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anyone have the time/energy to look up what all of the Bear pundits thought of the Gould release at the time? 

From what I recall mostly everyone was in agreement  that the release of  Gould was well deserved as he was going through a bit of a rough patch his last little bit as a Bear and he was due to make $3.75 million that season.  Plus from what I remember hearing Gould was a bit of a divisive guy in the locker room during the Trestman years due to his strong ties to the Lovie regime.

As someone else said earlier,  you can't really blame Pace for cutting Gould, what you can blame him for however is not finding a suitable replacement other than Barth/Cairo/Nugent.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He should report to George, but George is a raging incompetent so I am not sure that is a lot better.

I can't bag on George, he's trying his best. It'd be another thing if he's being stingy and it's costing us free agents, or if we have suboptimal training facilities, or if he was handcuffing Pace. I don't get the impression that he is doing any of those things and instead is letting Pace do what he thinks is best.

41 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

From what I recall mostly everyone was in agreement  that the release of  Gould was well deserved as he was going through a bit of a rough patch his last little bit as a Bear and he was due to make $3.75 million that season.  Plus from what I remember hearing Gould was a bit of a divisive guy in the locker room during the Trestman years due to his strong ties to the Lovie regime.

As someone else said earlier,  you can't really blame Pace for cutting Gould, what you can blame him for however is not finding a suitable replacement other than Barth/Cairo/Nugent.

Nail on the head Robbie sucked for a year and half before getting cut.  Pace's failure is not bring in anyone to replace. 

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

I can't bag on George, he's trying his best. It'd be another thing if he's being stingy and it's costing us free agents, or if we have suboptimal training facilities, or if he was handcuffing Pace. I don't get the impression that he is doing any of those things and instead is letting Pace do what he thinks is best.

His best really doesn't matter to me. George has been a trainwreck. He has directly made or been involved in 3 horrendous hires in 4 attempts. Emery, Trestman and Fox expose him as being woefully incompetent at his job.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

People stump for his ouster all the time. He’s not involved in football ops at all at this point. George has said so. Phillips himself has said so. Pretty sure Pace has said so too at some point. 

That is my issue...keep him in the business world sure but bring in someone who actually knows a bit about football to work as a bridge between Pace and ownership.

40 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

His best really doesn't matter to me. George has been a trainwreck. He has directly made or been involved in 3 horrendous hires in 4 attempts. Emery, Trestman and Fox expose him as being woefully incompetent at his job.

It wasn't just him though, last time he brought in Ernie Accorsi who is a very respected former executive.  Theres more incompetence at play than George.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

DeFillippo video

I don't think there is any doubt he is a quality coach...I actually do like the guy...I just worry the jump is too big...he said he didn't handle all aspects of his life right when he was an OC and he seems to have learned from that...but being an HC is a who different world to being an OC...if he was the guy...much like most of these young offensive coaches I would want a ton of experience around him.

Archived