UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

8 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

This is how I think it goes down.  Pace will want Flip.  Ted and George will think Flip isn't ready.  Bears Hire Shermur

7 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Wow that is exactly what I expect as well...

Just curious, what evidence have either of you seen that either George or Ted has been meddling in football decisions?  Everything ive seen since George took over as ceo is that they have empowered their gm to make the moves he wants to make.

57 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Anyone wonder if, after this playoff loss, the Chiefs move on from Andy Reid and make either Nagy or Childress the HC?

52 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That seems highly unlikely. 

Yeah I don't see why you move on from Reid.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pretty much no matter who we hire aren’t those who want to believe in George/Ted meddling gonna still play that card? Shurmur and they made Pace hire a safe guy. Flip/Nagy with Fangio and they won points for saying they would keep Fangio. Toub and it’s a guy they know and are comfortable with. 

Exactly az, those who want to believe that ted and george are meddlers will continue to believe they are.  There is a lot of angst even by the beat guys about ted and george and all evidence points to them empowering the gm

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

The defense was old, but they were still the #5 defense in 2012.

And #2 just proves my point. If DeFilippo is hired, it needs to be because he’s the best candidate. He can’t get brownie points because he wants to keep Fangio. That would greatly undermine the process.

Who a guy is bringing on his staff will factor in no matter the candidate.

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Exactly az, those who want to believe that ted and george are meddlers will continue to believe they are.  There is a lot of angst even by the beat guys about ted and george and all evidence points to them empowering the gm

For what it’s worth, Pat Mannelly said on the radio the other day that’s he’s convinced nothing has really changed at Halas Hall from the early 2000s, that Phillips has his hands in everything, and that Pace has to be good enough to overcome the incompetence.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Who a guy is bringing on his staff will factor in no matter the candidate.

While that’s true, any attempt at retaining Fangio should be because it’s part of the HC’s vision, not because it’s the path of least resistance.

I feel like there’s a lot of fanfare on this board for keeping Fangio for no other reason than it’s the path of least resistance, out of fear that the defense will take a step back rather than because it’s what the new HC wants to do.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The buzz is that the interview went really well.

Wouldnt shock me if they hit it off.

Another Rumors is the that DeFilippo wants to bring Mike Groh as OC, which would be nice with how bad our WRs are.

Groh would make sense as an OC...experience of this franchise...was an OC for UV for a couple of years...tons of coach experience with WRs which is going to be our biggest transition area on offence.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Just curious, what evidence have either of you seen that either George or Ted has been meddling in football decisions?  Everything ive seen since George took over as ceo is that they have empowered their gm to make the moves he wants to make.

The last 2 head coaching hires for starters... And Sports Mockery (yeah I know, hardly a reliable source) just did an article today about how we where set to draft L. Tomlinson back in the day and they blocked it..... That move alone would have drastically changed the early 2000s for us... Especially since we wouldn't have gone RB the year Rodgers was drafted. 

I'd also add that they're going to be sitting in on all the interviews. That alone undercuts Pace's authority massively during this process. 

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

While that’s true, any attempt at retaining Fangio should be because it’s part of the HC’s vision, not because it’s the path of least resistance.

I feel like there’s a lot of fanfare on this board for keeping Fangio for no other reason than it’s the path of least resistance, out of fear that the defense will take a step back rather than because it’s what the new HC wants to do.

I would be really concerned if any young offensive coach was not interested in keeping Fangio.

I can’t name an available better name for the DC position.

If they have a buddy who they want to do it, I would be concerned about the staff he intends to put together.

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Biggs reporting the Bengals wanted to speak with Fangio regarding their DC job but the Bears declined.

He is a top 5 defensive coordinator.

We should go down kicking and screaming before we have to let him go.

9th scoring defense with 1 pass rusher, 1 ILB and a secondary that we had all written off, oh and the worst offense in the league.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Whoever runs the team’s twitter page is clearly conscious of the meddling perception. Every tweet confirming an interview has been very clear that RYAN PACE has interviewed the candidate. Not sure if that’s a mandate from the team or Pace or if it’s just that guy deciding it’s whats best to do, but I found it noteworthy. 

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be really concerned if any young offensive coach was not interested in keeping Fangio.

I can’t name an available better name for the DC position.

If they have a buddy who they want to do it, I would be concerned about the staff he intends to put together.

If there’s a philosophical difference, that’s a problem for both the HC and Fangio.

If they have a bad working relationship, that’s also a problem.

The HC needs to know who he wants as his DC, the reasons why, he needs to believe in it, and that decision needs to be made with strong conviction. “Well Fangio is already here, and he’s pretty decent” just isn’t a good enough rationale.

The part I can’t stress enough is that I’d hope it’s what both the HC and Fangio want, not just that it’s convenient.

Archived