Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

HE DOESNT FREAKING HAVE TO BE THAT

TONY PARKER IS A HOF PG AND AVERAGED LIKE 4 ASSIST A GAME

I'LL TAKE TONY PARKER'S CAREER OVER A JASON KIDD

We just have to build our team understanding that. Get us a point forward at the 3 or 4 and we'll be fine. 

He's young it'll get better, but I'm going to embrace his skillset and model him after TonyP

Hahaha I agree.

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I’ll gladly take Collin as Tony Parker if the cavs are getting a guy like Tim Duncan and Manu somewhere down the line as we. Oh yeah and a coach like Pops. 

If we are going to build a team potentially around him. Give me Kidd’s career, Kidd could carry a team to the playoffs, that’s proven, Parker, not so much. 

Jason Kidd was the better scorer, better facilitator, and better PG compared to Parker. Only thing Parker had over Kidd was better roster and better coach...

if you are trying to pick a PG and you take Parker over Kid, you are a moron. Parker is good but he is not better than Kidd. Be like having the chance to pick Kobe or Jordon and you selecting Kobe. Results will still be positive but you didn’t pick the better player. 

We can't build a team around Sexton, but we can get a guy which you can build a team around and Sexton will be a big asset.  Maybe even a nice trade piece if the parts don't mesh.  He's pretty good for the 8th pick.

Everything with the Cavs would actually be pretty dandy if we weren't shoveling a boatload of cash to Kevin Love until 2023.  I'm glad for him as a person, but I can't believe we in our right mind would strap ourselves to an injury prone 2nd or 3rd option at the back end of his career.  Unless he has some miraculous resurgence of youth and health, the guy is going to be a complete liability by the time our young talent is hitting their stride.

Just as a basic philosophy, if the contract you're handing somebody immediately makes them untradeable, which Love's did, then it's probably a really, really bad idea to give them that contract.  It seemed like Gilbert was just desperately grasping whatever buzz he could make about the team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Everything with the Cavs would actually be pretty dandy if we weren't shoveling a boatload of cash to Kevin Love until 2023.  I'm glad for him as a person, but I can't believe we in our right mind would strap ourselves to an injury prone 2nd or 3rd option at the back end of his career.  Unless he has some miraculous resurgence of youth and health, the guy is going to be a complete liability by the time our young talent is hitting their stride.

Just as a basic philosophy, if the contract you're handing somebody immediately makes them untradeable, which Love's did, then it's probably a really, really bad idea to give them that contract.  It seemed like Gilbert was just desperately grasping whatever buzz he could make about the team.

Love will be a solid trade piece next year IMO. I can see a team willing to trade for him cause they know he is locked up

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m glad to see you breaking from being a homer long enough to throw in some other types of bad takes.

Until the dude can prove he can facilitate or actually be a +defender, he shouldn’t be a piece to build around. Maybe a role player but im not going to be excited about a role player. 

We just had a PG who was 10x the offensive player compared to Collin who wasn’t great at facilitating and was a bad defender and he didn’t make the cavs better until Lebron joined up. Right now Sexton is on track to be a poor mans Irving. Hell rookie Sexton makes rookie Irving look like Jason Kidd

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Until the dude can prove he can facilitate or actually be a +defender, he shouldn’t be a piece to build around. Maybe a role player but im not going to be excited about a role player. 

Who are these 19 year old rookies who are plus defenders? Most players take a few years to learn and grow and develop physically before they’re good defensively.

We just had a PG who was 10x the offensive player compared to Collin who wasn’t great at facilitating and was a bad defender and he didn’t make the cavs better until Lebron joined up. Right now Sexton is on track to be a poor mans Irving.

I’m not sure what your point is here.  Is that the only option there is?  As good as Irving or useless?  No in between?

Because Irving didn’t develop defensively, Sexton can’t?  

Hell rookie Sexton makes rookie Irving look like Jason Kidd

Is there a point here?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who are these 19 year old rookies who are plus defenders? Most players take a few years to learn and grow and develop physically before they’re good defensively.

I’m not sure what your point is here.  Is that the only option there is?  As good as Irving or useless?  No in between?

Because Irving didn’t develop defensively, Sexton can’t?  

Is there a point here?

Wiggins was a rookie plus defender but you are right in that they are rare.  

Just now, buno67 said:

He would make a great consolation prize if the Cavs get the #2 pick Instead of 1

I’m still not sure I’m taking him over Barrett

you gotta remember he’s a sophomore 

Barrett is a year younger and right on that same level. 

I do think there are the top 3 then everyone else. 

1 hour ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Wiggins was a rookie plus defender but you are right in that they are rare.  

I don’t think Wiggins was that great of a defender. He has never lived up to that billing. His rookie year he was only 0.0 DWS. Adv stats weren’t that great either for it. Defense stats so some of the rookies are doing well except for Sexton

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck