Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

The NBA needs to severely fix this superteam model somehow. It’s gonna absolute insanity that there are only 2-3 teams that have a chance to win it all every year.

The Nets have like 8 superstars. The Cavs have 0. The prime Warriors were literally untouchable while other teams were outright awful.

I have no good solution yet other than getting rid of the “max” contract. This would mean guys like LeBron James would make more than guys like freaking John Wall does. That’s part of the problem. Or even cut the amount of NBA teams down if you’re just gonna have 27 dumpster fire teams and 3 good ones. 

I don’t think they want to fix it because playoff and finals ratings seem to do well.  They like it apparently, but I agree it’s awful for the league as a whole.

To me the best setup is like the nfl.  Hard cap, no max deals.  If guys want to take less to win, you can’t stop that, but you also aren’t going to have too many guys doing that.

The NBA’s issue isn’t much different from the MLB, it’s a league of have and have nots.  NBA is talent related, MLB is money related (which is then reflected in talent).

I just don’t understand how a competitive sports league can be “legit”, when the rules clearly allow for unfair/unequal advantages between franchises.  The NBA is better about that than the MLB, but still not as good as the NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

The NBA needs to severely fix this superteam model somehow. It’s gonna absolute insanity that there are only 2-3 teams that have a chance to win it all every year.

The Nets have like 8 superstars. The Cavs have 0. The prime Warriors were literally untouchable while other teams were outright awful.

I have no good solution yet other than getting rid of the “max” contract. This would mean guys like LeBron James would make more than guys like freaking John Wall does. That’s part of the problem. Or even cut the amount of NBA teams down if you’re just gonna have 27 dumpster fire teams and 3 good ones. 

The nets have 2.5 superstars. The rest are old and washed up. 

we had our shot with a “super team” we shouldn’t be crying about anything. 

I do agree with getting rid of max contracts. I never liked it. It would help cut down on super teams because the elite would want a lot more than what the max would be. 

29 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The nets have 2.5 superstars. The rest are old and washed up. 

They have at least 3. Let’s be real. 

we had our shot with a “super team” we shouldn’t be crying about anything.

I agree.

I do agree with getting rid of max contracts. I never liked it. It would help cut down on super teams because the elite would want a lot more than what the max would be. 

Yep. 

8 hours ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

There’s some only 1 basketball. Go ahead and load up with whoever. Crash the ratings. I don’t think a lot of people care since the NBA ratings are getting lower and lower. College basketball will always be more entertaining anyways. 

People don’t care because 25ish fanbases aren’t engaged.

Sure you’ll have diehards who watch no matter what, but casual fans aren’t interested in watching 20 win teams rebuild.

Increasing parity increases interest.  College basketball is a good example of this.  People love March Madness because of the upsets.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure you’ll have diehards who watch no matter what, but casual fans aren’t interested in watching 20 win teams rebuild.

Increasing parody increases interest.  College basketball is a good example of this.  People love March Madness because of the upsets.

Absolutely. Didn’t help once a ref came out and said the league is fixed. Oh well, thank god for football. Baseball is ruined too. Thankfully we get an extra football game now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bruceb said:

We have the unions to thank.

Basketball should be one hell of a lot more exciting than football in that the action is comparatively non-stop.

But give me football with its ~ 11 minutes of action any time.

You’re right. We should all thank unions. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:
57 minutes ago, bruceb said:

We have the unions to thank.

Basketball should be one hell of a lot more exciting than football in that the action is comparatively non-stop.

But give me football with its ~ 11 minutes of action any time.

You’re right. We should all thank unions. 

yep we should be thankful for all unions! If not owners of teams or in general, would ruin the league/workforce

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

yep we should be thankful for all unions! If not owners of teams or in general, would ruin the league/workforce

Actually, the owners are as big a part of the problems as the unions for caving in to the union demands, which in any non-immune commercial arena would carry labels like blackmail or extortion and probably be actionable under the antitrust laws or Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

31 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

FWIW the word is 

parity

Which, to me at least, is important.

Every fan of every team wants their team to win.

When the rules do not favor one class of teams or another (e.g., Big market, big spenders), it's all on the shoulders of the owner, FO and coaches.

Which is the way it should be.

37 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Which, to me at least, is important.

Every fan of every team wants their team to win.

When the rules do not favor one class of teams or another (e.g., Big market, big spenders), it's all on the shoulders of the owner, FO and coaches.

Which is the way it should be.

Agree completely.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Increasing parody increases interest.  College basketball is a good example of this.  People love March Madness because of the upsets.

To be fair the NBA had to put the draft lottery odds into place because even they realized how incredibly screwed at least 14 teams are going into each season. The lotto odds are essentially "well, we can't have half our league tanking 25 games in so let's put this in place so they at least try a little"

They know it's lopsided, they know it's messed up. They just don't care as long as major markets are the driving force with the best players. The 2 most unfair teams are the in LA and NY. Just like theu want it. The nba doesn't give a rats bleep about the Cleveland Cavaliers lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

To be fair the NBA had to put the draft lottery odds into place because even they realized how incredibly screwed at least 14 teams are going into each season. The lotto odds are essentially "well, we can't have half our league tanking 25 games in so let's put this in place so they at least try a little"

They know it's lopsided, they know it's messed up. They just don't care as long as major markets are the driving force with the best players. The 2 most unfair teams are the in LA and NY. Just like theu want it. The nba doesn't give a rats bleep about the Cleveland Cavaliers lol

True but it’s not like the league has gone out of their way to make those teams good. Brooklyn is going to be good this year but how long has it taken for a NY team to be good. Knicks have been trash since, what, ‘95, outside of like 3 yes with a healthy melo and Amare and even then that team didn’t do anything. We saw the Lakers try and steal Chris Paul and the owners didn’t allow that.

NBA it’s all about getting that star player. If you don’t have him you will suck or be stuck in purgatory. NFL is kinda starting to turn into that with QBs

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck