Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Of course this dweeb thinks that. He is still my favorite commissioner in major sports, but that isn’t saying much.

The NBA was awesome in the 90’s. I don’t loathe the NBA now like I loathe the NFL and their quest to ruin the game, but it’s still a significantly worse product than what we got to see in the 90’s IMO. There is more talent now in the NBA and therefore, it’s super fun to watch. However, if we had dudes out here mugging each other to protect the rim, it’d be easier to sell the game to a wider audience. People call NBA players ****** all the time & it’s pretty hard to argue against that a lot of the time. 

The 90's had illegal defense rules where you weren't allowed to guard space or hedge off your man. You either had to play 1v1 or hard commit to a double team.

When they changed the rules in the early 2000's scoring plummeted and KG, Duncan, Malone, MJ, Kobe  etc all talked about how unfair the rules were and how difficult it made scoring for star players. After 2-3 years of low scoring and bad ratings they removed hand checking which freed up offenses and got scoring back up. 

90s illegal defense rules would ruin the NBA because it would make guarding the 3 and perimeter players wayyyyyy harder. 

Maybe its time to allow hand checking again as talent level is considerably better than early 2000s. I dont think it would help much though. The issue is players have so much space because they are so skilled now and its very hard to guard the entire half court. 

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I disagree more with you on this than your Melo take. Jokic is arguably the worst perimeter defender in the entire NBA. He has the slowest feet I’ve seen out there. I know he isn’t traditionally asked to play out there, but teams aren’t dumb. They figure out ways to switch him on guards/wings & he simply can’t hang.

Obviously he’s an amazing player & probably the toughest player to defend in the entire league right now, but I don’t think it can be understated just how bad his defense is. Again, sign me up for Jokic all day…but he’s a woeful defensive liability. 

Like I said his bad possessions are glaringly obvious but his good possessions are from fundamentals, positioning, and things that  don't  get noticed easily because he doesn't get blocks or make sexy plays. He consistently scores extremely high in every defensive advanced stat (none are perfect but he scores with top level defensive players and far away from horrible defenders) and the Nuggets have been decent defensively most of his time there despite fielding worse defenders than Jokic in the starting lineup such as Murray and MPJ. MPJ especially is awful. 

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Of course this dweeb thinks that. He is still my favorite commissioner in major sports, but that isn’t saying much.

The NBA was awesome in the 90’s. I don’t loathe the NBA now like I loathe the NFL and their quest to ruin the game, but it’s still a significantly worse product than what we got to see in the 90’s IMO. There is more talent now in the NBA and therefore, it’s super fun to watch. However, if we had dudes out here mugging each other to protect the rim, it’d be easier to sell the game to a wider audience. People call NBA players ******* all the time & it’s pretty hard to argue against that a lot of the time. 

Putting in money signs instead of S's doesn't make it okay. Let's keep it family friendly (and expand our vocabularies) in here.

11 hours ago, brownie man said:

I know Golden state is praying Celtics close it out. Get the monkey off their back 🤣 

up 3-0 and losing is definitely worse then 3-1

It’s a shame because holy crap this was clutch.

It was like kicking a game winning field goal to go to the Super Bowl.

Stan Van Gundy is the best announcer in basketball. He’s like what Romo was his first year, SVG will sometimes breakdown every possible scenario that could happen and it’s crazy. Perfect example was him basically predicting White getting the tip in last night. It’s obvious he was an NBA coach.

Reggie Miller is good when he’s breaking down small details such as what type of plays teams execute. Reggie is also spot on when he’s describing shooters technique and confidence, which isn’t surprising.

I want jaylen brown. The cavs will never be able to win anything with 2 small guards. We need someone with size in the back court. I’d trade garland for him if he came with an extension. Mitchell can run the 1. It’s not ideal but no way I’d trade Mitchell for him. Don carried this team last year. I want him and brown together. 

• Like 1

I know it's not feasible, but I'd love to snag a draft pick in the top 10 somehow.

PG: Cason Wallace

PF: Taylor Hendricks

would be my targets. Both would be great fits for this team. Hendricks has SF/PF versatility and is a very promising outside shooter with versatile, switchable defense. Wallace is just a gritty in-your-face defensive player who has catch & shoot ability. He's a 3 & D point guard who could give us something we don't really have.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck