Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

21 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I think we have a legit chance, maybe 20-25% at getting the #1 seed. 

My knee jerk reaction to this was that you are crazy. But the more I thought about it, it's not out there at all. Now, that's not saying that we're gonna knock off Brooklyn/Milwaukee in the playoffs, I think both are terrible matchups for us when they are at full strength. But we could very easily end up with a better regular season record than those teams.

Like you pointed out, we've already weathered the storm.

Our roughest scheduling is already done (zero remaining games against the top 4 in the west) where tankathon has Milwaukee with the hardest remaining schedule in the NBA (six games left against the top 4 in the west) and Brooklyn with the sixth hardest (five games left against the top 4 in the west).

We get 10 of our last 37 games against DET/HOU/OKC/IND/ORL, Milwaukee only has 3 games left against that crew, only 4 for Brooklyn. 

Plus both teams have stars who are older and are going to rest games here and there to be fresh for the playoffs. Our cores is all 23-24 or younger, they need more minutes to grow, not less.

I think it's possible, and even likely, that the Cavs are a top 2-4 seed, and that #1 seed is far from unattainable. Which means, in a year where we came in expecting a lottery pick, we're instead looking at potentially hosting a playoff series. That's pretty awesome.

I think Chicago and Miami are going to be our primary competition for that top spot unless Milwaukee gets super hot soon.

3 minutes ago, FGK said:

Now, that's not saying that we're gonna knock off Brooklyn/Milwaukee in the playoffs, I think both are terrible matchups for us when they are at full strength

I doubt Brooklyn will ever be at full strength and you also have Kyries situation.

Milwaukee scares me because of Giannis and Portis being energizer bunnies. That’s extremely rough to deal with physically in a 7 game series.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Milwaukee scares me because of Giannis and Portis being energizer bunnies. That’s extremely rough to deal with physically in a 7 game series.

For our specific matchup, I actually think Jrue is a bigger issue for us than Giannis. I mean, the Greek Freak is what he is, he's amazing. But if any team in the league has the dudes to hinder him on defense, it is Cleveland (Mobley/Allen). 

But right now, Garland IS our offense. Whether it's scoring, facilitating, or driving and kicking, our offense is massively diminished without him at full speed. And the best I've seen anybody defend him all year was Holiday. I just don't like our matchup with them, mostly because of that matchup being one that I'm not sure Garland has figured out how to play yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FGK said:

For our specific matchup, I actually think Jrue is a bigger issue for us than Giannis. I mean, the Greek Freak is what he is, he's amazing. But if any team in the league has the dudes to hinder him on defense, it is Cleveland (Mobley/Allen). 

But right now, Garland IS our offense. Whether it's scoring, facilitating, or driving and kicking, our offense is massively diminished without him at full speed. And the best I've seen anybody defend him all year was Holiday. I just don't like our matchup with them, mostly because of that matchup being one that I'm not sure Garland has figured out how to play yet.

with Love,Rondo,and Stevens love are depth.

with Okoro to guard wings or guards plus with his 12 to 15 points a game this creates problems for everybody.

1 point if the greek god has to guard a legitimant big in the post I think that could cause foul problems for them.

To be honest the healthiest team wins this 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

To be honest the healthiest team wins this 

Totally possible. If Brooklyns loses Durant for awhile that's a totally different team. Same for Milwaukee minus Giannis or Jrue. Chicago is a little bit better built to survive a single major injury. We've already taken a couple big injury hits (Sexton/Rubio) and now the question is can we keep everyone else healthy and survive a less-deep backcourt than we'd like.

2 minutes ago, FGK said:

Totally possible. If Brooklyns loses Durant for awhile that's a totally different team. Same for Milwaukee minus Giannis or Jrue. Chicago is a little bit better built to survive a single major injury. We've already taken a couple big injury hits (Sexton/Rubio) and now the question is can we keep everyone else healthy and survive a less-deep backcourt than we'd like.

It is not just injuries it is playing when you are limited 

eg Kirie has to guard Garland when he has a bad wheel.

28 minutes ago, FGK said:

You’re forgetting and I know you’re not really for it but we can still add players which would boost us via trade. Rubies contract being a very valuable trade piece can get us something in return which could push us even further.

4 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

You’re forgetting and I know you’re not really for it but we can still add players which would boost us via trade. Rubies contract being a very valuable trade piece can get us something in return which could push us even further.

I would rather keep Rubio and extend him to a 3 year veteran deal than package his contract in a trade for some mid-level wing player. He is that valuable to me. His type/brand of basketball with all the intangibles doesnt come around often and is not nearly as replaceable as a 3/D wing.

The only asset Im moving is Sexton + 1st round pick and see where that gets us.

Can it get us a player like....Buddy Hield?

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I would rather keep Rubio and extend him to a 3 year veteran deal than package his contract in a trade for some mid-level wing player. He is that valuable to me.

Can it get us a player like....Buddy Heild?

Do you really want Hield though? Like I get the buckets he can get from time to time but man that Def is absolutely trash. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

Sure, the Rubio expiring + a pick could get us a depth guy or even a quality rotation guy if it's a better pick. But I think we're still in a rough spot if Garland, Allen, or Mobley were to miss a series.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would rather keep Rubio and extend him to a 3 year veteran deal than package his contract in a trade for some mid-level wing player. He is that valuable to me. His type/brand of basketball with all the intangibles doesnt come around often and is not nearly as replaceable as a 3/D wing.

Can it get us a player like....Buddy Hield?

I think Sexton will get more valuable once he's back. It seemed like he was doing better playing in the flow of the offense in the preseason and that was the word out of camp. But I get the desire. Hield is a great, great shooter. But as someone else pointed out, his horrible defense might kill the vibe of the team.

7 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I've seen that we are interested in Gordon, and Houston wants a 1st.  I absolutely don't want to mess up the chemistry of this team, but that might be something I would consider.  Do we have to include Love to make the salary match up?  I'm even hesitant to give him up tbh....

Gordon makes a lot of sense. But I don't think I'm giving up a 1st round pick for him. We need those to get cheap bottom of the rotation guys (if we make the picks) or to package for one last big piece. But yeah, Gordon would be a good fit as the scorer off the bench.

23 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

Do you really want Hield though? Like I get the buckets he can get from time to time but man that Def is absolutely trash. 

I do yeah. His shooting ability is exactly what this team needs from a wing. I would also like to believe his defense/effort would improve greatly playing for a playoff team in new surroundings. Especially since JB is a great defensive coach.

There is a level to Buddy Hield that hasnt been unlocked yet.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck