Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

So, I don't usually share stuff like this, but...

I just turned 50 years old a few weeks ago. I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago in a pretty rough area of the city. Due to life circumstances, I had to drop out of college during my first year to care for my aging and disabled grandmother. Long story short, I got married, raised two daughters, and got divorced. After figuring out how the second half of my life would turn out, I decided to return to school. I am now taking my final class for my degree. With 670 possible points left, I only need 388 to graduate with honors. Most of you are beyond this point in your education, but this is a big moment for me. Corny or not, I'm proud.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I just turned 50 years old a few weeks ago. I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago in a pretty rough area of the city. Due to life circumstances, I had to drop out of college during my first year to care for my aging and disabled grandmother. Long story short, I got married, raised two daughters, and got divorced. After figuring out how the second half of my life would turn out, I decided to return to school. I am now taking my final class for my degree. With 670 possible points left, I only need 388 to graduate with honors. Most of you are beyond this point in your education, but this is a big moment for me. Corny or not, I'm proud.

Congrats man.  You're a perfect example of "it's never too late".

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Well done. This is something worth being proud about!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

I'm 42, I dropped out of college bc I was bored, I wanted to work.  Won't call it a mistake, bc it was a pivotal moment which played a huge part in me becoming a father for the first time.  But I have been unable to go back and finish to this point.  I salute you sir.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to.do it by the time I get to 50.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Sweet Big.  Congrats.  Something I noticed back in school was older adult students always did well.  They took it serious.  

Where abouts do you live now? 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Sweet Big.  Congrats.  Something I noticed back in school was older adult students always did well.  They took it serious.  

Where abouts do you live now? 

Right now I am in Richmond, VA. though I don't believe this will be my final destination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm 42, I dropped out of college bc I was bored, I wanted to work.  Won't call it a mistake, bc it was a pivotal moment which played a huge part in me becoming a father for the first time.  But I have been unable to go back and finish to this point.  I salute you sir.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to.do it by the time I get to 50.

Virtually everyone I know who didn’t go to college still ended up doing very well including my dad and two of my brothers. 

My dad really wanted to go to college and law school though and didn’t because his older brother died tragically young in a car crash and he was asked to run business he was running.  

I heard this story later in life and it makes sense to me now why he wanted me to go to law school.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Virtually everyone I know who didn’t go to college still ended up doing very well including my dad and two of my brothers. 

My dad really wanted to go to college and law school though and didn’t because his older brother died tragically young in a car crash and he was asked to run business he was running.  

I heard this story later in life and it makes sense to me now why he wanted me to go to law school.

My wife has told me time and again I need to go back and finish and get my law degree.  I told her I'll do it when she gets her cpa.  Truth is as much as I love the law, the only law I have any desire to practice would be constitutional and that's not exactly the type of money that's going to justify the expense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

My wife has told me time and again I need to go back and finish and get my law degree.  I told her I'll do it when she gets her cpa.  Truth is as much as I love the law, the only law I have any desire to practice would be constitutional and that's not exactly the type of money that's going to justify the expense.

I have never known anyone actually practicing constitutional law.  

It is a gig done by a select few and being financed by orgs, political parties, foundations and such for their goals and purposes, not clients.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

It is a gig done by a select few and being financed by orgs, political parties, foundations and such for their goals and purposes, not clients.  

I mean you cite constitutional law all the time in motion practice.  But the game changing things are very rare. 

15 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Thats fantastic man. Congratulations!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've had it in my head that I have always wanted my PhD. Im thinking of pulling the trigger but unsure for this reason. 

It looks like im going to adjunct a single class this spring at a nearby community college and from the few classes I have assisted in I've enjoyed it a lot. That being said im not interested in researching works so being a tenured professor doesn't seem on the horizon - so the financial rewards are fairly low since I can adjunct for psychology and business classes still. 

Working back in the behavioral health field I also realize clinical isn't what im interested in. Im thinking of furthering my schooling to give an advantage for future management/leadership positions but Idk. 

Did see Liberty University has online PhD programs for only $300 per credit hour for veterans. Need to research the accreditations it has but if it seems satisfactory then I think im gonna cave. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I won't say who, but I had somebody from one of the foundations you speak of talk to me after a conference about the possibility.  He even was telling me about internships w/ scholarship possibilities.  But you're right, its practically volunteer work, but I'd be able to do something I was passionate about.

• Like 1