Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

Time for a new random thoughts thread.   I like to make two or three a year so they become like time capsules if you are looking back rather than a 400 page mega thread where some really insightful or interesting thoughts are lost in deep woods forever. 

Brief update on my job and I will drop that subject and get back to football.

Turns out I was worried over nothing.  Just thrown for a loop as I was pretty much ‘employee’ of year bringing in much business, getting rave reviews from clients and then suddenly let go.  And this wasn’t in my immediate plans.   

But it had nothing to do with me, but rather a sudden exodus of some other attorneys in a different sector of firm that caused a sudden and immediate financial crunch that had to be addressed immediately.  Unfortunately many people got let go all at once.    

I started my own firm and I already have lots of clients and growing before I have even done any marketing.  I may even have to hire help sooner than I thought.

Like many here pointed out, these trials are often a blessing in disguise.  If it ends up happening to you in your life, feel free to PM me.  

Appreciate the prayers and well wishes. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 3

National media really is down on 2022 Bears.  In dead month of July they are doubling down on it.  

Of course extreme Bears takes, especially in negative, is a great view getter so they are incentivized to do so. 

Surprised actually to see so many Bears fans are actually optimistic.  We did lose a lot of big names and added a lot of lessor known guys.  

Fantasy football is another big driver nationally.   People know players by fantasy football.  We have no fantasy football point getters to date.  Justin Field by some metrics was worst QB in NFL last year is another one.  

Our Oline and WRs were weak last year or performed badly and we didn’t bring in any big FAs is probably biggest reason national perception is down.  Worse, to their eyes, we let Robinson go. 

The betting on Bears under for wins is reportedly huge.  

It is a bit telling that this hasn’t moved win total which I believe is 6.5.   I am not high on Bears this year, but I think 7 wins would not be shocking in least.   I wouldn’t risk money in either direction.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It is a bit telling that this hasn’t moved win total which I believe is 6.5.   I am not high on Bears this year, but I think 7 wins would not be shocking in least.   I wouldn’t risk money in either direction.

FWIW, DraftKings is offering the Bears at +1000 (10-1 odds) to have the fewest wins, the 5th shortest odds. FanDuel has them 6th shortest at the same number. MGM has them 6th shortest at +1100. The books don’t think they’ll be good, but they also don’t think they’ll be the worst team in the league.

Both are projecting, but I tend to put more stock into the one who’s profitability depends on the accuracy of their projection than the one who just needs you to read their projection. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW, DraftKings is offering the Bears at +1000 (10-1 odds) to have the fewest wins, the 5th shortest odds. FanDuel has them 6th shortest at the same number. MGM has them 6th shortest at +1100. The books don’t think they’ll be good, but they also don’t think they’ll be the worst team in the league.

Both are projecting, but I tend to put more stock into the one who’s profitability depends on the accuracy of their projection than the one who just needs you to read their projection. 

If they can figure out an okay Oline from bodies they have on hand they can win 8 or 9 games.  

If Fields is running for his life it’s more 4-5.  

I can’t believe how little they practice in pros now compared to days of old.  

They only have 15 days of practice in camp.  They only practice on grass about an hour and a half.  Not all of 15 days are padded.

Once season starts practice is all about next game prep.   

There is not a lot of time in NFL for raw projects and back up development.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If they can figure out an okay Oline from bodies they have on hand they can win 8 or 9 games.  

If Fields is running for his life it’s more 4-5.  

I can’t believe how little they practice in pros now compared to days of old.  

They only have 15 days of practice in camp.  They only practice on grass about an hour and a half.  Not all of 15 days are padded.

Once season starts practice is all about next game prep.   

There is not a lot of time in NFL for raw projects and back up development.

pretty sure we worked harder for high school football xD  (though that was now over 20 years ago so perhaps that's changed too)

Summer camps 1 and 2, "voluntary" S+C camp, then doubles-triples a month before school started....

And we where an admittedly terrible team in our conference.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

For the love of God training camp needs to start already. I am having severe withdrawal symptoms due to lack of football stimuli.

Next week. Finally.

Speaking of which, Brisker needs to get signed already. We’re a week out. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Angelo Blackson is being accused of child endangerment, child neglect and domestic violence. A great offseason continues!

Weird that none of the major local outlets has this and it’s seemingly been out there for almost a whole day now. None of the local beat guys have tweeted anything about it at all. I didn’t see anything about this yesterday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Weird that none of the major local outlets has this and it’s seemingly been out there for almost a whole day now. None of the local beat guys have tweeted anything about it at all. I didn’t see anything about this yesterday. 

Additionally, this is based off of an IG post. No where does it state that any of this has been reported to any type of authorities. This looks more like a bitter baby mama pleading a case in public than anything of substance. Granted, I could be wrong but if she has not filed a police report or reported him to child protective services I'm not sure how much credence I put into this. Until these things occur this is a non-story for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Additionally, this is based off of an IG post. No where does it state that any of this has been reported to any type of authorities. This looks more like a bitter baby mama pleading a case in public than anything of substance. Granted, I could be wrong but if she has not filed a police report or reported him to child protective services I'm not sure how much credence I put into this. Until these things occur this is a non-story for me.

Until anything is filed this is as it should be. Seems odd that it happens after he signed a 2 year deal too...

If he IS guilty then I hope he fries. If not then hopefully she does for attempting a money grab through slander. 

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

@beardown3231 weren't you the one that "broke" the Roquan Smith rape story? Wasn't that an IG report too? You might wanna look into stories that are broken on social media before buying into them. Not sayin' just sayin'.

Where did I say Smith or Blackson were charged or arrested? I said "accused." They were both literally accused. 

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Where did I say Smith or Blackson were charged or arrested? I said "accused." They were both literally accused. 

Sure. But they were accused by some of the most unreliable sources available. Literally nothing credible about either story. People get accused of stuff all the time, it doesn't make it noteworthy. Just saying, it probably isn't worth sharing clickbait.