Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

What an idiot 😂

Could be wrong but I believe he was saying this in the sense of PFT saying how he was Rodgers “Owner”, it was after the “I Own You” topic was brought up

Although I’d argue anyone who buys those pieces of the Packers are the idiots 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

What's there to hold against? We're affordable, near the highway, a cheap gas station, and Lincoln highway, what is there to dislike?

Well back in 1970 somebody poured gasoline in the shape of a giant D in the center of our football field killing grass the night before home coming but I wouldn't want you to think I hold a grudge.🙄

17 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I’ll start with shotspotter.  I’m in a suburb probably 45 min west of Chicago, so we don’t have those.  If you read articles in the paper they will tell you shotspotter is super unreliable and brings unnecessary police presence to certain areas of the city when no actual shootings occurred.  However, a few months ago i was in a Chicago district working on a case.  Their radio kept going off like every ten minutes with different shotspotter activations.  The detectives i was with were saying that they are almost 100% accurate.  I think the disconnect between them and the media is that when no person was actually hit by a bullet and/or there is no victim in the area to speak with the police it probably gets documented differently from a shooting (criminal damage, reckless conduct, etc).  Idk just speculating here.

As for police cameras, not entirely sure what you mean.  I know Flock cameras are all the rage right now.  Essentially cameras installed on major roadways primarily designed as license plate readers.  We dont have those in our town yet, but they’re coming.  One nice feature of Flock is that once you have them in your town you are essentially a part of a social media group with other police agencies with Flock.  You can become “friends” with other agencies and once you do that you are allowed access to all of their Flock cameras as well.

Those are real helpful for tracking stolen autos.  I also recently had a string of robberies that ended up stretching to suburbs way south of my town.  I was able to connect our offender to a total of like 9 robberies in 5 or 6 different jurisdictions mainly based on seeing the car he was driving nearby a different robbery location like a hour and a half away from my town on a flock camera.

"Skycop" is what i was talking about (sorry couldn't think of the actual name at the time). But these are just cameras set up (mostly in high crime areas) where the police can monitor them from the station. Some are obviously visible, to act as a deterrent I imagine, and some are more hidden.

They've had them here for years, and I gotta be honest, I've never seen the crime rate decrease in those areas over the last ~20 years since we got them. But like I said, according to the new from the Police dept, half of them aren't even working anymore either and they dont have the funds or manpower to monitor them 24/7. Hell, damn near anyone can become a cop in our city right now. The bar is low. That's how desperate they are. 

It's good to hear about the spotshooter though. The police dept were recently given a grant and are supposedly fixing the old cams, adding more, and adding that technology along with it.  I never heard of flock cams, so I'm not sure what the difference is or if a similar system could be integrated into skycop. No idea. But you would think combining technology like flock cams and spotshooter would make things easier and more efficient for these departments. But then comes funding to support it...which we'll save for another day. 

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I keep hearing of crimes that are being quickly solved by  doorbells.  I remember one neighbor put in security cameras years ago and some other neighbors were kind of pissed about it.   It felt weird to them.

Was the neighbor Chris Watts by any chance?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Im ready to finish above last place again.

The real question is who are the 3 people to feel my wrath this year? 

If there's any interest in hosting the league on Fleaflicker (I know it's been on ESPN in the past), I could be interested. I've got all my other leagues there and I'd just end up forgetting a league on another platform.

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If there's any interest in hosting the league on Fleaflicker (I know it's been on ESPN in the past), I could be interested. I've got all my other leagues there and I'd just end up forgetting a league on another platform.

Thats cool for me. I'm not loyal to any league.

I'm only loyal to my wife, and that is purely out of fear.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Thats cool for me. I'm not loyal to any league.

I'm only loyal to my wife, and that is purely out of fear.

I’d have some interest in making it a charity league. Small buy in, winner of championship chooses charity for 75% of the pot, winner of consolation bracket chooses charity for 25% of the pot.

10 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I’d have some interest in making it a charity league. Small buy in, winner of championship chooses charity for 75% of the pot, winner of consolation bracket chooses charity for 25% of the pot.

Never been part of one but it sounds cool.