Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

I don't think that reporter reacts that way to old Joe in 2022.  There would be some outcry and indignation I think.    

Not sure how Stephen A. just got away with it.  Probably largely because it was foreign reporter who wasn't offended.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  If he admitted to a crime he could be charged with one.   

If new evidence, like an admission to a crime, came to light they could charge him with a crime if within statute of limitations.  You only can't be if you are found not guilty, even with new evidence.   That is double jeopardy and is forbidden under 5th amendment to the constitution.  Sometimes prosecutors will charge you with a somewhat related Federal or State crime to get around this - like when Cops get charged with civil rights violations in Fed court after being found not guilty in state court.  

Civil matters or torts are different category.  But once settled the same defendant isn't going to be allowed to go back to the well again for same incident no matter if there is new evidence.

A little nuanced with a dismissal with or without prejudice.  Ik that the grand jury declined indictment in the 2 counties in question (which should be enough to raise everyone's eyebrows in this whole thing if you know how easy it is to get an indictment) but I seem to remember them saying the charges had been dismissed with prejudice as well (I'm going to double check that) where as they also could not be brought up again.

But I'm inclined to agree with AZ that he probably should have declined to comment beyond "with respect to all parties involved, I'm going to decline to comment any further on the matter, and I'm ready to move on and help the Browns win a superbowl."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A little nuanced with a dismissal with or without prejudice.  Ik that the grand jury declined indictment in the 2 counties in question (which should be enough to raise everyone's eyebrows in this whole thing if you know how easy it is to get an indictment) but I seem to remember them saying the charges had been dismissed with prejudice as well (I'm going to double check that) where as they also could not be brought up again.

But I'm inclined to agree with AZ that he probably should have declined to comment beyond "with respect to all parties involved, I'm going to decline to comment any further on the matter, and I'm ready to move on and help the Browns win a superbowl."

I brought that up as a factual point before and folks didn't like it.   It is a notable point in any discussion on the topic wherever you stand.  

It is difficult to have conversations sans emotion on heated topics. 

42 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I brought that up as a factual point before and folks didn't like it.   It is a notable point in any discussion on the topic wherever you stand.  

It is difficult to have conversations sans emotion on heated topics. 

One of 2 things is usually taking place when you bring that up and it doesn't make the other person pause, either they just don't understand how the indictment process works and how low of a standard it takes to achieve the burden, or 2 they are just assuming guilt and there is nothing short of all accusers coming out with statements that they lied for them to believe otherwise.  That's why you will never see me throw out words like predator when referring to Watson bc the fact is we don't know and the lowest possible burden could not be met to show that a crime even potentially occurred.  The other thing I have found is the amount of people who have no idea how prevalent sex work is in the massauer/masseuse occupation.  Like the fact that probably somewhere around 65-70% of LMTs are really sex workers.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

One of 2 things is usually taking place when you bring that up and it doesn't make the other person pause, either they just don't understand how the indictment process works and how low of a standard it takes to achieve the burden, or 2 they are just assuming guilt and there is nothing short of all accusers coming out with statements that they lied for them to believe otherwise.  That's why you will never see me throw out words like predator when referring to Watson bc the fact is we don't know and the lowest possible burden could not be met to show that a crime even potentially occurred.  The other thing I have found is the amount of people who have no idea how prevalent sex work is in the massauer/masseuse occupation.  Like the fact that probably somewhere around 65-70% of LMTs are really sex workers.  

My points exactly.

I learned long ago not to prejudge someone based on media reports, rumors or even a splice or one angle of a video.   Judging without sufficient information can burn you.   I stopped doing it or try my best to anyway.  

Even when talking about Jenkins rumors I try to be careful to say IF the rumor is true than my thoughts are this.

Even Bible warns against judging without all facts.  John 7:24

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My points exactly.

I learned long ago not to prejudge someone based on media reports, rumors or even a splice or one angle of a video.   Judging without sufficient information can burn you.   I stopped doing it or try my best to anyway.  

Even when talking about Jenkins rumors I try to be careful to say IF the rumor is true than my thoughts are this.

Even Bible warns against judging without all facts.  John 7:24

On the Tevin Jenkins issue, I was listening to a "professional" podcast and they were talking about the whole thing and were trying to say it wasn't just a media story.  Meanwhile what we now know Jenkins was hurt and working through an injury (multiple reports that there was no injury) Jenkins was in the building and doing well in the meetings (reports were he wasn't even in the building).  Even the report from the NFLN guys was that the Bears were RECEIVING calls about Jenkins turned into the media reporting the Bears were actively shopping him.  Sure seems to me like mostly a media invention to explain away an issue that they couldn't get the coach to answer about.  

• Like 2

Son got slammed REALLY late away from a play. Hurt his neck but I immediately thought of McMahon getting slammed by Charles Martin. Absolutely made me sick to my stomach when we ran out to him. Me and the coach pulled him so he was really pissed but once the adrenaline wore off his neck has hurt like hell and he had a headache. We were the away team and even their announcer said it was a "very late hit a mile away from the play" when we went out to check on him. This was like the 3rd or 4th blatant cheap shot (there were several in the lightweight game too) and it was just near the end of the first. My daughter was a cheerleader and wanted to fight. Lol He's doing ok, snoring next to me on the couch. Seeing him drop the tough guy act when we got in the car was kinda crazy. Kids act so big but theyre still only 10 and 11 years old. 

Game got rough though. Our coaches were pissed and players were too. Normally he pulls the starters when he goes up by 3 TDs and lets lightweights sub in but this time he just rotated almost all heavyweights players in for a few snaps and poured it on the other team. Won by almost 60.

Did love coaches message. Said if anyone plays dirty he'll bench the kid for the next 2 games but if he sees anyone not playing all the way to the whistle then they'll run hills right after the game. I guess he has made them do it before so kids took that seriously. Blockers were putting kids down and then laying on them. Kids did it clean though. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Son got slammed REALLY late away from a play. Hurt his neck but I immediately thought of McMahon getting slammed by Charles Martin. Absolutely made me sick to my stomach when we ran out to him. Me and the coach pulled him so he was really pissed but once the adrenaline wore off his neck has hurt like hell and he had a headache. We were the away team and even their announcer said it was a "very late hit a mile away from the play" when we went out to check on him. This was like the 3rd or 4th blatant cheap shot (there were several in the lightweight game too) and it was just near the end of the first. My daughter was a cheerleader and wanted to fight. Lol He's doing ok, snoring next to me on the couch. Seeing him drop the tough guy act when we got in the car was kinda crazy. Kids act so big but theyre still only 10 and 11 years old. 

Game got rough though. Our coaches were pissed and players were too. Normally he pulls the starters when he goes up by 3 TDs and lets lightweights sub in but this time he just rotated almost all heavyweights players in for a few snaps and poured it on the other team. Won by almost 60.

Did love coaches message. Said if anyone plays dirty he'll bench the kid for the next 2 games but if he sees anyone not playing all the way to the whistle then they'll run hills right after the game. I guess he has made them do it before so kids took that seriously. Blockers were putting kids down and then laying on them. Kids did it clean though. 

Sorry your kid got slammed by a cheap shot, but I'm glad he it doing good.

The way the other team was coached is why I think so many people shouldn't be coaching, they just don't know what to do. I see people say they are coaches for their kids teams at my work and when we play against them it is clear they have know idea what they are doing, I can only imagine what they are teaching the kids.

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Sorry your kid got slammed by a cheap shot, but I'm glad he it doing good.

The way the other team was coached is why I think so many people shouldn't be coaching, they just don't know what to do. I see people say they are coaches for their kids teams at my work and when we play against them it is clear they have know idea what they are doing, I can only imagine what they are teaching the kids.

Appreciate it man.

Yeah I talk a lot about wanting mean OL and burying your man but I always mean it within the rules. Idk if the coaches were trying to get that mentality through and just did a crap job or if the kids were just frustrated at getting walked over for the second week on a row. But the coaches failed either way. 

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This is where good officials take control early.  Flag first foul.  Next one that happens you have a meeting in center of field with all coaches with dire threats of ejections and zero tolerance going forward.

Unfortunately many officials in youth games are weak or inexperienced or just kids so this kind of thing is not uncommon.  

Because I can tell you usually when number three happens all hell can break loose.   You can have all out brawls with parents and everyone.  I have seen it.  Been at it.  Especially in days before cell phones would put you on youtube. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A late slam would be an ejection right off btw.  Or should be. 

Definitely should have been. Only flags thrown were for holds and illegal motions that I can remember. Might have missed one but I think that's all that was thrown. 

FA will be interesting next year.  Bears have a lot to spend and have to spend some of it.  

They need to sign Mooney, Montgomery and maybe Roquan.  Would be a good time to extend Kmet and even Fields if he is willing.  After that still plenty of money (barring Fields extension).  

Best available WR might be just Chark and Schuster by time next year comes around same as this year.    You may have to rely on draft there. 

Should be some good OL and defensive players available though.  I can see Flus pushing for Davenport.