Random Thoughts - Training Camp edition

dll2000

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I went there in 2018. It was very nice. Crazy how it's east of Virginia yet it's a tropical place

It's our second time there, last time was nine years ago but it's has built up a decent amount. And yes very crazy that it's just straight east yet very tropical and has so much history that no one really knows about.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, dll2000 said:

No.   Golladay has done nothing last two years and you are on hook with him for another season contractually.  

Quinn performed to his contract last year.

They aren't looking to trade an aging vet for an aging vet like for like anyway.  Bears are looking for a draft pick in first 3 rounds.  

If they had one in hand Quinn would be gone already.  None of contenders have a need at the moment though at that price.  May change with a camp injury which is what Poles is hoping.  

He had a hip injury that knocked him out for most of 2020, those are a part of the game, but he still performed to his career averages in terms of catches/yards - he even had a better catch % that year. 

2021 wasn't good, correct. but it wasn't good for Arob either, but that doesn't mean he wasnt a good player. JF1 needs guys that can go up and get it, less of a technical route runner.

KG is 28 years old, that's hardly "aging vet" - especially compared to Quinn, who is 32 yo. 

I'm sure the bears would love to have a high draft pick, but i think if someone were offering a high draft pick for a 32-year old DE that historically has a bad season after good seasons, has 3 years almost $40M left on a contract, they would have taken it. It's not like we don't have the cap space to absorb KG either - the contracts are essentially a wash, and if he were a FA and we signed him this offseason for 3/40 - nobody would be upset with that, especially since we have the cap space

What's gonna help JF develop, a DE or a WR? Everyone complains that we didn't help our young QB enough, and here's a potential option that would realistically help both teams. We'll see what happens, but i dont think we get anything higher than a 3rd for quinn, and even then i think we would have to throw in another pick, like a 5th or 6th as well.

5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

He had a hip injury that knocked him out for most of 2020, those are a part of the game, but he still performed to his career averages in terms of catches/yards - he even had a better catch % that year. 

2021 wasn't good, correct. but it wasn't good for Arob either, but that doesn't mean he wasnt a good player. JF1 needs guys that can go up and get it, less of a technical route runner.

KG is 28 years old, that's hardly "aging vet" - especially compared to Quinn, who is 32 yo. 

I'm sure the bears would love to have a high draft pick, but i think if someone were offering a high draft pick for a 32-year old DE that historically has a bad season after good seasons, has 3 years almost $40M left on a contract, they would have taken it. It's not like we don't have the cap space to absorb KG either - the contracts are essentially a wash, and if he were a FA and we signed him this offseason for 3/40 - nobody would be upset with that, especially since we have the cap space

What's gonna help JF develop, a DE or a WR? Everyone complains that we didn't help our young QB enough, and here's a potential option that would realistically help both teams. We'll see what happens, but i dont think we get anything higher than a 3rd for quinn, and even then i think we would have to throw in another pick, like a 5th or 6th as well.

Hard no for me. I don't want anyone that has been consistently injured or has underperformed for consecutive years. I need to see the arrow pointing up. If it weren't a heavy investment then I would look into him, but no high draft picks or significant salary for a player like that.

Just now, dll2000 said:

I am old enough to have watched Payton play in real time.   Not so old I could watch him at his best in 70s though.

I mean I probably did, but I don't remember watching football with intent until early 80s.  

Was lucky enough to watch Sweetness when Abe Gibron was telling Bob Avilini to give the ball to Walter and get out of the way. He is the best all around RB I have ever seen play. Barry Sanders a close second.

• Like 1

So I went on twitter just to gather bears camp tweets to share.  

I only followed bears accounts.   I have no posts. 

So it should be clear to any algorithm I am there for one thing.

They still, STILL pepper my feed with extreme political takes I have zero interest in.

Ridiculous.   I hate twitter.  I wish beat people would use something else.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

So I went on twitter just to gather bears camp tweets to share.  

I only followed bears accounts.   I have no posts. 

So it should be clear to any algorithm I am there for one thing.

They still, STILL pepper my feed with extreme political takes I have zero interest in.

Ridiculous.   I hate twitter.  I wish beat people would use something else.

?

your feed will only have people you follow and ads/promoted tweets - there shouldn't be anything else. when you say "they" do you mean twitter or who you follow? i don't have anything like that in mine.

also, I would try to create a list - it's probably going to be the exact same as who you're following, but i dont ~think~ promoted tweets get put into the list. I'm sure you could search and find someone that already created a "bears beat writer" list you could follow

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

?

your feed will only have people you follow and ads/promoted tweets - there shouldn't be anything else. when you say "they" do you mean twitter or who you follow? i don't have anything like that in mine.

also, I would try to create a list - it's probably going to be the exact same as who you're following, but i dont ~think~ promoted tweets get put into the list. I'm sure you could search and find someone that already created a "bears beat writer" list you could follow

Twitter added in many tweets they think I might like or 'popular posts in my area'

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Majority of posters in the NFL general and NFL news section of this site are … not good.  

I have very little respect for their opinions.  

True but still an improvement over what I encounter in real life. That’s the reason I joined the site in the first place 14-15 years ago lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't have the slightest clue behind the what and why of anything I'm seeing here, but I feel like this is how Putin and Zelensky should've settled their differences.

Lot of missed layups. Thought I was watching WNBA but was entertained, so clearly something was off. 

• Like 1