49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So we're going act like those same people paid to evaluate said talent haven't had misses and misteps along the way now?? Or do I have to go over the head-scratching picks and ill regard for depth at certain positions, one by one that has left this roster vulnerable over their tenure?

Like I get that were just armchair GMs and whatnot. Us being the minions were are does not privy us to certain intel and payer-based rationale. But some of this current regime's off-season roster management and overall personnel decisions has been puzzling at times to say the least. These guys aren't absolved into making a dumb move or two from time to time. 

For the most part, we've done well under their watch. But things can always been better and criticism can rightly be justified in certain instances. 

We're discussing logic, aren't we? 

On 8/5/2022 at 6:28 PM, 757-NINER said:

But I think we were all well within our fandom rights to question the logic of thinking a 2nd year OG, who looked well out of his depth as a rookie...

Every team has missteps and weaknesses. We both know that. We should also both be quite aware that the roster assembled here is one of the strongest in the league. Two trips to the NFCCG in the last 3 seasons is pretty indicative of that. Logic suggests the team is better at finding and developing talent than most. The part I bolded in the first quote above indicates just that - that the team is better than not at doing this, and while they are not absolved of making mistakes, it's the exception rather than the rule. I mean, how many other of the 22 starters do you believe are not truly starter-level? Unless you can identify 11 or more, you must agree that they are more likely to correctly identify starting-caliber players than not. I couldn't name 11. I don't know that I could name 5. Further, 7 of the 11 first or second round picks this regime has made are anticipated to start for us this year, and an 8th in the 11 is Drake Jackson, who will probably have a prominent role as well. So logic suggests you should be more likely to believe they have hit on any one position rather than missed, and also that they are more likely than not to have hit on a top pick rather than missed. For it to be logical to believe a former second round pick that they believe is a starter, is actually not likely to be a starter, means you must be making different interpretations of the data available to both you and the team, as we would both agree there is not data you possess that they would not.

Logic suggests the staff is good at what they do. But more than that, we have history to show how quickly the team will move on from missteps (Dante Pettis, Joe Williams, etc.). Knowing all this, logic suggests if the team didn't believe Aaron Banks was ready to start, they would not have penciled him in as a starter in March and would have instead made any effort to find him competition for that spot. They didn't even do that. Not in free agency by re-signing Laken Tomlinson or bringing in someone else. And with their first three draft picks, they selected players at some of the deepest positions on the team. Logic suggests that smart-minded football people more likely to find quality starters believed he was ready to start. And sure - they could be wrong, but unless you can name 11 questionable starters, we've both agreed that is the less likely outcome. There is nothing logical about believing in the less likely outcome. 

We also should both be aware that player development happens on the practice field. We know that poor practice habits landed Brandon Aiyuk in the doghouse. Logic suggests that if Aaron Banks had not improved in practice, he would not have been penciled in as a starter. And since only members of the team and staff are allowed to attend in-season practices, logic dictates that only the team and staff knew what progress had been made. So logic suggests no other sources have actual information on Aaron Banks's development. No beat writers, no Twitter accounts, nobody here on this forum. John Lynch spoke positively of his development last September. Kyle Shanahan and his position coach Chris Foerster spoke positively of his development during last season this offseason. Given their overall competence in developing a roster, it would be logical to trust them. 

As I know from your post, you recognize we're both just armchair GMs, so I'm not foolish to believe you think you know better than the staff and am being sincere in saying I wouldn't accuse you of that. And eliminating the sheer bravado of someone who thinks they know better than the staff, logically, all of this means one of two things:

1) It would actually be illogical to think Aaron Banks isn't ready to be a starter, as it goes against the history of player development on this team and is predicting the less likely outcome of the team not correctly identifying a starting-caliber player. Especially when factoring in the player's pedigree as a second round pick the year before and the positive prognoses from people you should trust. And it would be logical to believe the more likely of two outcomes.

Or...

2) You were extrapolating an awful lot of data from 5 snaps of football, as you have no other data on which to base this questioning of Aaron Banks being ready to start, as you have no other data available to you since last year's preseason ended.

Which, hoping to avoid a long unnecessary conversation like this, is why I just posted the quick original post I did. Because I was hoping the rest of this would go without saying. I was hoping I didn't have to spell out that we have nothing but going against the educated opinions of the coaching staff on which to base such a thought. That it was silly fan speculation on how he must have looked based only on not earning the starting RG job last year, and how that sort of speculation is a poor way to judge a player. That it would be quite impossible for any fan to logically say such a player "looked well out of his depth" given that Banks was injured on his 2nd preseason snap. That it was not at all logical based off of watching and disecting - at most - 7 snaps of football, for a fan to be able to make intelligent long-term development prognoses, and then trust that rather than trusting the educated opinions of a noted offensive expert placed in charge of making roster decisions. That it wasn't a prediction based on logic, but rather one likely made on pessimistic instincts and the probable consumption of deteriorated analysis from 49ers media. But here I am again... with my unlikable urge to try and defend a point that I knew going in was worth only the first short response to begin with.

You're free to have the last word on this one. I have to exit the conversation here. No disrespect intended, I realize I am holding onto unrealistic expectations of optimism amidst the fanaticism, and just recognize continuing this discussion is really going to bum me out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

More on Lance idk what it is but today he was just off. In one play Aiyuk was over the middle Trey threw it high and Aiyuk had to go up and get it and got plastered by Jimmie Ward. Everything was high. Will detail on others

He's always suffered the same disease as Jimmy in that regard

2 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Really can’t wait to see lance on Friday. I hope they let him play a ton. Needs the experience, and I need to see him with some good passes so I can sleep at night. 

I feel like they won't play him much. Our preseason schedule is stupid. We have three games in less than two weeks. Given we also have joint practices with Minnesota, I think the just emphasis will come on that second game 

30 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Really can’t wait to see lance on Friday. I hope they let him play a ton. Needs the experience, and I need to see him with some good passes so I can sleep at night. 

Seriously! Lance needs to play a ton this preseason its crucial.

Someone else who was there: 

Was there live today. Trey looked BAD. Like I hope this is just an anomaly but he didn't make good decisions and sailed a lot of passes. He threw an easy pick to Warner, another pass that should have picked on a short pass to Aiyuk, and a hospital ball to Aiyuk that was broken up by Ward but could have lit him up. He completed 2 passes early that looked ok but other than that our defense completely dominated.

The most impressive pass of the day was Sudfeld deep to McCloud down the sidelines. I think it was the only 1st down in move the ball drills today besides a Trey run.

• Like 1

Gray had a massive catch 25 yards down the field and he had to twist his body caught it with one hand. Was the most impressive catch today. 

Warner was smashing everyone. He was all over the field. Felt super unnecessary but whatever lol.

Drake Jackson got punched in the balls badly during a punch-out fumble drill. He went to the floor for 5 mins or so. 

Kinlaw was pushing and blowing up plays inside. The dude is just crazy built. 

Mitchell and Price best RBs that I saw.

Special teams looked bad today they worked on kick-off. Need a lot more work.

Robert Nkemdiche was cussed out by Kris Kucerek pretty badly. He was heated throwing a huge fit. Didn't catch why but he got pulled off the field on move the ball period. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Someone else who was there: 

Yeah, Lowder called it the worst practice he had ever seen from Lance...which granted, isn't the hugest sample size, but he was also a rookie last year and somehow managed to do better lol. 

Lombardi said it was brutal. 

I think when people thought about the Josh Allen comparison, they immediately started thinking about the Josh Allen of the last two years as opposed to the Josh Allen of the first two years lol. Rookie Josh Allen in particular was rough. There were entire videos dedicated to him just overthrowing wide open receivers lol. Comparing anyone to Josh Allen is difficult enough given how much of an outlier he is in his growth, but then to black out the starting point for Allen in the NFL when making said comparison is really criminal to Lance. 

It's going to be a super swingy, inefficient season at the QB position. I'm hoping we sneak in as a wildcard based on the defense and run game.

• Like 1

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Robert Nkemdiche was cussed out by Kris Kucerek pretty badly. He was heated throwing a huge fit. Didn't catch why but he got pulled off the field on move the ball period. 

I don't know that people ever thought he was the most brilliant guy ever, so this probably supports that notion. 

• Like 1

I feel like we maybe have to carry 6 corners this year, right? Given how often he's running with the 1's, I have to feel like Dennard is mostly a lock at this point, so if we are only carrying 5, we'd have to dump someone from last year or Womack. 

Ward, Moseley, Thomas, Womack, Dennard, Lenoir? 

Castro Fields to PS (I don't think he gets picked up). 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I feel like we maybe have to carry 6 corners this year, right? Given how often he's running with the 1's, I have to feel like Dennard is mostly a lock at this point, so if we are only carrying 5, we'd have to dump someone from last year or Womack. 

Ward, Moseley, Thomas, Womack, Dennard, Lenoir? 

Castro Fields to PS (I don't think he gets picked up). 

My guess is Verrett is kept on PUP they bring him on slowly. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is Verrett is kept on PUP they bring him on slowly. 

That's what I am thinking as well. 

We are still going to have to cut someone when he comes back,  but we will have 6 more weeks of information on deciding who that should be. 

Ambry Thomas needs to get his ish together, tbh.