49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good, time to FINALLY move on and make it official...I hope the team is happy in not utilizing the 18M of cap space that they could have back in March but whatever....

Lombardi has takes about this

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lombardi has takes about this

To be honest, you were against me on this argument as well lol. So in conclusion, STOP LISTENING TO LOMBARDI!!!

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

My take is I'd like to still have D.J. Jones or Laken Tomlinson. I'd feel better about the season with at least one of them.

100000000000000000%, or maybe make a legitimate push for someone like Chandler Jones or Von Miller, though our DL is going to be dominant regardless. Having less OL question marks would have bene cool though, but what do I know about Business 101????

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To be honest, you were against me on this argument as well lol. So in conclusion, STOP LISTENING TO LOMBARDI!!!

I'm not actually sure he's wrong. He's just wrong about the reasons. He can't go and tell everyone that it ostensibly doesn't matter they had had the extra money or not. That's just a dumb take regarding free agency. Money does matter if you just want to spend. Now, if there was someone we really wanted, there were other ways to come up with some money, so I'm not sure it actually prevented us from doing anything. It wouldnt' have been that difficult to find money sufficient for first year cap hits given that they are largely suppressed (we signed a receiver to a 24M / yr contract and it has a 6.5M first year cap hit).  

What he can say is that there's nothing that suggests to him that the 49ers would have spent that money on the offensive line. I would actually understand that. Given Tretter's retirement, a second round pick used on a guard last year as an incumbent for Laken, I get this take. There was no center that was really an improvement, you spent a second on Banks and it makes sense that you would move on there. Brunskill gives you a baseline of competency at RG, so if you draft someone or sign someone cheap and he doesn't work out, you at least know where you stand for the most part. 

I personally don't think that was a good idea, but I don't have to go way out of my way to believe that this is actually how the niners front office looks at things, especially given the lack of spending at the guard position in general. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not actually sure he's wrong. He's just wrong about the reasons. 

Nah, he's wrong period. There is NO way you can say having Jimmy had no impact on the signings when our cap space was barely positive and he kept suggesting the team can give certain players extensions or restructure when that's not how it works. I mean you CAN do that but that does impact the team's future cap space. If you have 18M in cap space available, you can pretty much go after any player or sign two starters with that type of money. You weren't going to need that much for the Deebo extension. 

He's completely wrong and he's trying to be "technically" right but there was never going to be a market for Jimmy after the surgery. The writing was on the wall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, he's wrong period. There is NO way you can say having Jimmy had no impact on the signings when our cap space was barely positive and he kept suggesting the team can give certain players extensions or restructure when that's not how it works. I mean you CAN do that but that does impact the team's future cap space. If you have 18M in cap space available, you can pretty much go after any player or sign two starters with that type of money. You weren't going to need that much for the Deebo extension. 

He's completely wrong and he's trying to be "technically" right but there was never going to be a market for Jimmy after the surgery. The writing was on the wall. 

Its an assumption that the 49ers would have done anything regardless of the money they have or not. That should be the point he's working to convey, but he would rather just shoot it down and act like they were not going to do it regardless. 

LIS, I don't have to go far out of my way in believing that they wouldn't have spent that money on the offensive line. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its an assumption that the 49ers would have done anything regardless of the money they have or not. That should be the point he's working to convey, but he would rather just shoot it down and act like they were not going to do it regardless. 

LIS, I don't have to go far out of my way in believing that they wouldn't have spent that money on the offensive line. 

They gambled and lost, it's that simple. They really thought the same market they had in March would emerge again later in the offseason but that was not going to happen with Jimmy's salary and most teams already using up much of their cap space and just flat out moving on. Then they banked on an injury for a QB and/or Watson being suspended for the entire season....The thing is the draft pick they were going to receive in July or August wasn't going to be worth more than the 18M in cap space.

Lombardi is too far deep into this to turn back and admit he was wrong lol. He always has to act like the smartest person in the room. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They gambled and lost, it's that simple. They really thought the same market they had in March would emerge again later in the offseason but that was not going to happen with Jimmy's salary and most teams already using up much of their cap space and just flat out moving on. Then they banked on an injury for a QB and/or Watson being suspended for the entire season....The thing is the draft pick they were going to receive in July or August wasn't going to be worth more than the 18M in cap space.

Lombardi is too far deep into this to turn back and admit he was wrong lol. He always has to act like the smartest person in the room. 

Don't disagree about the Lombardi piece, but the team could have felt comfortable taking that gamble because they didn't feel anyone available on the market was someone that they really had to have. Having the money and spending the money are two very different things. There's nothing that tells me that they would have spent that kind of money on Laken or another guard based on their history. Reports early on were that they didn't have extension talks with him and were going to wait until closer to free agency. Clearly it was not a priority for them.  I think they would have splashed for a center, but there was nothing really there on the market if Tretter was set on retiring or couldn't play (jensen resigning in TB to be with Brady). 

I still think that if there was someone that they had to have, they would have been in on him. They could have just tacked void years on to McG's contract and basically freed up like 7 million immediately if they wanted. They would have gotten it back in the rollover with JImmy eventually being cut. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Whats Danny Grays role in this offense? Will he see some snaps this year or is the outlook clouded with Deebo and Aiyuk around

He's not worth a pick in fantasy redraft. Dynasty only.