49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

No need to panic about the 49ers offensive line … yet

The 49ers have three new presumed starters along the interior of their offensive line, none of whom have much experience. Right guard Spencer Burford is a rookie, center Jake Brendel is a veteran who has only three career starts, and left guard Aaron Banks is a second-year player who hardly played last season. The speed of their development will be critical for a 49ers offense that will be breaking in new quarterback Trey Lance. In the 49ers’ final preseason game, against the Texans, the offensive starters played three series but crossed midfield only once, turning the ball over on downs on that possession.

Lance missed a few opportunities against the Texans, but he was constantly under pressure and didn’t get a lot of help from the running game. Naturally, there is a lot of panic about the offensive line, but the film shows backup tackles allowed most of the pressure. Left tackle Trent Williams will play in the opener, and right tackle Mike McGlinchey should be back from injury as well. The inexperienced interior was fine against the Texans. Coach Kyle Shanahan even said he thought Banks played better this week than he did against the Vikings in Week 2 of the preseason.

Banks did miss a notable block on fourth down against the Texans because he was late off the ball, and the offensive line was called for a few penalties in the game — not ideal but correctable. The 49ers’ backup tackles were beaten inside a lot, so it looked like the interior was to blame. Banks, Burford and Brendel still have improvements to make before Week 1, but it’s a good sign that they weren’t dominated by the Texans like some thought they would be.

Ted Nguyen - The Athletic

• Like 1

Apparently, you can only return 8 players from IR this year. Last year it was unlimited. So, we will already have used 2 of those 8 right off the jump. 

I really dont like this change. There was no reason to change it. The NFL always does this sort of thing. change for change's sake. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Apparently, you can only return 8 players from IR this year. Last year it was unlimited. So, we will already have used 2 of those 8 right off the jump. 

I really dont like this change. There was no reason to change it. The NFL always does this sort of thing. change for change's sake. 

I'm sure people took advantage of it. One of the reasons that roster sizes were initially set where they are (this was a while ago obviously) was so the rich teams couldn't just keep all the talented players and depth people to death like happens in modern college football. 

Gray deep, Aiyuk and Kittle intermediate, Deebo short, with Lance’s arm, not sure how that is coverable. I’m like the only 49er fan predicting the 49ers as the #1 seed, we’ll see what happens. 

Plus likely a Top 3 D + Lance’s rushing ability. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Gray deep, Aiyuk and Kittle intermediate, Deebo short, with Lance’s arm, not sure how that is coverable. I’m like the only 49er fan predicting the 49ers as the #1 seed, we’ll see what happens. 

Plus likely a Top 3 D + Lance’s rushing ability. 

Your name is weird for a Niner fan lol. I think this team will be plenty good this year. A lot of what we're hearing this offseason is just noise to me. 

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Your name is weird for a Niner fan lol. I think this team will be plenty good this year. A lot of what we're hearing this offseason is just noise to me. 

I have never once cheered on the 49ers outside of the SF/KC SB. But I don’t root against them either. Pretty neutral.

They do have a tendency to draft players I loved in the draft though… Trey Lance, Brandon Aiyuk, Nick Bosa, Danny Gray, etc. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GW21 said:

People are much more bullish on Lance than I am out of the gate. I think he'll be fine, but wildly inconsistent, probably inefficient, and we have a brutal schedule. I've really had us slated for 9-8 pretty much since last year 😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

People are much more bullish on Lance than I am out of the gate. I think he'll be fine, but wildly inconsistent, probably inefficient, and we have a brutal schedule. I've really had us slated for 9-8 pretty much since last year 😂

Yeah, but that’s you. At this point I’m like 68.3% sure you are Zendaya. 

spider-man-no-way-home-michelle-jones.gi

• Like 3