Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

You quoted me earlier in this thread when I said they’ve been NASTY against bad offenses.

You directly quoted and replied to that comment.

Again, caught in a blatant falsehood

no, not gonna be that easy. You say that you dont think the saints have a dominant d, then bring up the lions game as dominant. when someone said its not beacuse they allowed signifcant yards and points, and that is what indicates dominance, you bring up games against poor offenses. youre clearly trying to argue that they are without you saying they actually are. Because to do so would be foolish, and you know it. Hence you skirting around it.

11 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cool. so you agree with me that the saints arent dominant on d. Now, would anyone like to have some kind of wager that vaccaros productivity signifacantly drops when he starts facing good offenses?

Unfortunately, if he was to drop off we wouldn't know if it was due to injury or if it has to do with the offense he faces. I personally think he is playing at a high level because it is a contract year for him.

As for a dominant D? When we see the healthy unit that helped win our first seven games, yes that's a dominant D. B|

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

You mean unless, you're the 09 Saints?  Flukey or not, they are a legitimate defensive play.  Teams actively try to take the ball the away.  

no one said its not legit once it happens, just that just because you have a lot of takeaways now doesnt means youll continue to have a lot of takeaways. its not really a talent based thing.

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no one said its not legit once it happens, just that just because you have a lot of takeaways now doesnt means youll continue to have a lot of takeaways. its not really a talent based thing.

It kinda is.  Normally by having players with the IQ and skill to actually be in a position to make those plays.  Ohio State's defense last year is a perfect example. Lattimore/Hooker/Conley/etc were downright nasty in creating turnover after turnover as they were all highly intelligent and highly skilled players where teams couldn't just avoid a player as all of them were normally better than their opposing WR and could create an interception.  The Saints defense in '09 didn't have the best skill, but they were all playing with a high IQ in that scheme that put them in the position to make those plays.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Viking said:

They still gave up 24 points, to a mediocre Lions offense. I'm just stating that in order to be considered dominate you need to stop the opposing team from scoring

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Dude, takeaways are a legitimate defensive statistic.  When the defense scores a TD, it is the best play they could have made.

The Saints Defense scored 21 points, they had 16 batted balls, 5 turnovers, and 5 sacks. That's a dominating performance. Essentially the Lions point differential was +3. Just because they scored 24 points against us doesn't mean it wasn't a dominating performance by the defense considering the Saints defense was right there with the Lions offense for points scored. Honestly I'm baffled how anyone could see sentence above showing how many plays the defense made and come to the conclusion it wasn't a dominating performance. I think it's flawed to use 1 metric and say it wasn't a dominating performance. There is more than one way to have a dominant performance on defense, and the Saints displayed that against the Lions this year.  

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/10/saints_batted_passes_lions.html

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The Saints Defense scored 21 points, they had 16 batted balls, 5 turnovers, and 5 sacks. That's a dominating performance. Essentially the Lions point differential was +3. Just because they scored 24 points against us doesn't mean it wasn't a dominating performance by the defense considering the Saints defense was right there with the Lions offense for points scored. Honestly I'm baffled how anyone could see sentence above showing how many plays the defense made and come to the conclusion it wasn't a dominating performance. I think it's flawed to use 1 metric and say it wasn't a dominating performance. There is more than one way to have a dominant performance on defense, and the Saints displayed that against the Lions this year.  

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/10/saints_batted_passes_lions.html

they allowed 24 points, thats why. 

they cause tajeways, they had a really good game. Not dominant. detroit was scoring plenty, and i believe it came down to the very end, right?

After a special teams TD and an offensive pick 6, Lions were down 7.  Cam Jordan got a pick 6 late to increase it to 14.

they cause tajeways, they had a really good game. Not dominant. detroit was scoring plenty, and i believe it came down to the very end, right?

Yeah we were able to hold off the Lions after some horrible plays by our offense/special teams in which the Lions scored late in the game thanks to a dominant performance by our defense

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

so... yes, it came down to the end. In a game where the saints scored 52, it came down to the end. 

Did you miss the part where I said special teams Td and pick 6?  No one is claiming the offense and special teams were dominant. 

35 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no, not gonna be that easy. You say that you dont think the saints have a dominant d, then bring up the lions game as dominant. when someone said its not beacuse they allowed signifcant yards and points, and that is what indicates dominance, you bring up games against poor offenses. 

My argument was that we’ve been dominant against bad offenses and average against good ones. It was incredibly clear, and you even quoted me when I said it.

What exactly am I skirting around? 

youre clearly trying to argue that they are without you saying they actually are. Because to do so would be foolish, and you know it. Hence you skirting around it.

Are you telling me that it would be foolish to make an argument that i don’t agree with?

Stand back guys, I think GSU is on to something.

Archived