Preseason, Week 1: Vikings (0-0) at Raiders (1-0)

swede700

On 8/15/2022 at 12:06 AM, AP_allday2869 said:

Sometimes you know right the second a pick gets made that it will be a bust.

For me, one of those people was Chazz Surratt. A QB-turned-LB, who only played LB for two years, who was an older prospect, being a Tar Heel, and by having the name Chazz.

That third round was really bad. We had 4 third round picks (Davis, Mond, Surratt, and P. Jones), and only one of them looks promising in Jones, one looks okay at best in Mond, and two major, big time busts. That round could have been big for us and who knows where we would be at if we hit on those.

Yeah Jones looked good. A bit surprised but he adjusted well.

Twyman didn't do too bad either!

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah Jones looked good. A bit surprised but he adjusted well.

Twyman didn't do too bad either!

Especially for a guy who had 4 bullets in him.  Wait till he gets completely healthy and in better training shape.  He should be, at the very least, a very good 3rd down rotation DT giving Tomlinson some rest.  With him added to Danielle moving around, and Jones, or Smith lining up on the LOS, and Zadarius, and possibly even Asomoah or Cine coming from a bit deeper, opposing OLs will absolutely be guessing wrong on from where the rush is coming, and there will be loads of sacks and hurries.  It won't be "The ILLUSION of complexity"!  It will actually be REAL complexity!!!  xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robb_K said:

He's been dodging injury all his career, by ending plays early, by dumping off check-down passes to his back, or just grounding the ball after one read, or almost instantly when a rusher breaks through the line.

Since joining the Vikings in 2018 this is where Cousins ranks in terms of Sacks+Hits. It would take me more time to see where he ranks overall for that time period.

2018 - 10th (79 total = 40 sacks + 39 hits) leader Deshaun Watson with 121
2019 - 23rd (58 total = 28 sacks + 30 hits) leader Matt Ryan with 110
2020 - 1st (117 total = 39 sacks + 78 hits) 
2021 - 5th (93 total = 28 sacks + 65 hits) leader Matt Ryan with 124

I can't agree with you that he has been "dodging injury all his career", he's taken his fair share of hits. I mean wouldn't you want your QB to dodge injuries as well?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Since joining the Vikings in 2018 this is where Cousins ranks in terms of Sacks+Hits. It would take me more time to see where he ranks overall for that time period.

2018 - 10th (79 total = 40 sacks + 39 hits) leader Deshaun Watson with 121
2019 - 23rd (58 total = 28 sacks + 30 hits) leader Matt Ryan with 110
2020 - 1st (117 total = 39 sacks + 78 hits) 
2021 - 5th (93 total = 28 sacks + 65 hits) leader Matt Ryan with 124

I can't agree with you that he has been "dodging injury all his career", he's taken his fair share of hits. I mean wouldn't you want your QB to dodge injuries as well?

Yes, but by stepping to the side, or moving somewhere to gain a second, so he can throw the ball to receiver for a positive yardage gain more than 1-3 yards, when he does have such a receiver already open.  Cousins concentrates so much on avoiding a potential sack or big hit, that he very often doesn't bother to look downfield for any possibilities (especially after the first read that might take a very accurate throw in a tight window.  That's the situation that KOC mentioned that he wants Cousins to make that throw on the first read, which would avoid Cousins choosing to dump it off to a back or tight end behind or just ahead of the LOS, or burying the ball straight into the ground to avoid a sack or big hit that could result in a fumble (which would result in a worsening of his stats, and hurting the team more than having a loss of yardage or just a tiny gain in yardage and wasting a down.  Mannion is even more bent on dumping off and not taking chances with his passes, unless his receivers are very, very open, and he has lots of time to make the throw.  That's why his yards per attempt and yards per passing play are so very low.  Cousins isn't nearly so bad at that, but he has obvious room for improvement.