Preseason, Week 1: Vikings (0-0) at Raiders (1-0)

swede700

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Its going to be a season long problem at slot corner unless they bring in someone else.  By early looks of it, Evans is not quick enough laterally to play slot either.  

Mond has looked waaaayyy better than Sean Mannion has in terms of straight playmaking and zip on his passes.  

And yet they took him out and put Mannion back in!  They'd better get a decent quality back-up from the outside in here as soon as possible (along with a decent centre, and a decent slot corner).  Otherwise they'll end up making sure that keeping Cousins and several older players, and trying to make the playoffs this season was a big mistake.

1 minute ago, Robb_K said:

And yet they took him out and put Mannion back in!  They'd better get a decent quality back-up from the outside in here as soon as possible (along with a decent centre, and a decent slot corner).  Otherwise they'll end up making sure that keeping Cousins and several older players, and trying to make the playoffs this season was a big mistake.

There hundreds of reasons they might have put Mannion back in that have nothing to do with how Mond has performed. 

• Like 2

I finally found out that Mond threw a TD pass to Albert Wilson (who may well not be on The Vikings' final roster).  I'd rather it have been one of the younger players, like Smith-Marsette, Jackson, Mitchell, or even Bisi Johnson.  But I'm hoping Mond's showing has Kwesi and KOC thinking that they should continue to keep his rights owned by the ir team, EVEN if they bring in a solid back-up from outside, and cut Mannion.

2 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

That is the theory from the reporter.

I agree with Seifort.  Mond needs a lot more reps.  Everybody knows what Mannion can do.  More reps for Mond might make it easier for Kwesi and KOC to decide whether or not to even keep Mond on The Practice Squad, going into this season, after obtaining another backup QB from outside.  Surely, they've already decided Mannion is and always will be inadequate, and it will take a LOT more time than they have left to get Mond ready to play for them before half this season or a lot more, is over.  And they will be cutting Mannion, and going outside to get this season's #2.  But, they may want to try to hold onto Mond, even so.  I doubt that another NFL team would grab Mond IF The Vikings would try to place him on The PS.

Was some talk of Tomlinson being the NT, glad he was not and Phillips was.

DE Tomlinson / Otomewo / Twyman
NT Phillips / McGill
DE Watt / J. Lynch

Hope they keep all of these guys but not sure they will, Otomewo has more of a chance than Twyman because he is taller and fits the position more but hopefully we can keep Twyman also.  J. Bullard might stick around but I would rather have a guy with size like Otomewo and upside but will see.  

Back again that slot corner will be an issue going forward.  

Mond looked good on that slant to Wilson for The TD.  He got more comfortable later in the game.  So, I think KOC and Kwesi should watch how he improves through to the cutdown time, before deciding what to do with him.  But, I think Mannion should be dropped to The PS at the cut-down to 53 (from where he can still help Kirk), and if Mond isn't ready to perform well enough as the back-up, The Vikings should pick up a more ready back-up from outside), and keep Mond on the roster.