Could he have been the greatest?

Cheesehawk

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

How? He had a rocket arm, ok.... That is literally 1 talent a QB needs (and one with diminishing returns once you've reached "NFL level"). Pocket presence, accuracy, ability to process information quickly, football intelligence, among other talents, make up a QB, and Russell lacked in each of them. Do you really think he would have found success if you put him elsewhere? 

^and we want to get into pure talent vs skill, then maybe you can ignore accuracy, but the rest is stuff you can't really work on. You have it or you don't. Don't think Russell had it. 

this definetly something that i do not want to argue over. 

in terms of raw alent he was amazing, super mobile for his size and his arm is the stronget ever in the history of the NFL. 

I think his accuracy was pretty decent and would ofbeen good if he worked it. 

I am happy for you to disagree. and Im not going to valitate my position further and I don't care. Rathe I was using him as a caricature as much as anything. 

20 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The best that could have been...easily...Bo Jackson.

Most freakish athlete doesn't equal best. Balance, Vision, quickness, etc. are more valuable than being a size/speed freak. In other words, I highly doubt he'd have been better than Barry Sanders had he stayed healthy.

8 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Most freakish athlete doesn't equal best. Balance, Vision, quickness, etc. are more valuable than being a size/speed freak. In other words, I highly doubt he'd have been better than Barry Sanders had he stayed healthy.

I highly doubt you watched Bo if youre claiming he was nothing more than a size/speed freak.    I consider Barry the best as well, but Bo had every single tool....both physical tools and intangibles....to push to be the best ever    Better than Barry?   I dont know, but he absolutely had everything needed to do it.    If he had focused on football and stayed healthy,  we may have found out for sure.   

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I highly doubt you watched Bo if youre claiming he was nothing more than a size/speed freak.    I consider Barry the best as well, but Bo had every single tool....both physical tools and intangibles....to push to be the best ever    Better than Barry?   I dont know, but he absolutely had everything needed to do it.    If he had focused on football and stayed healthy,  we may have found out for sure.   

We knew Barry was the best.  The title of this post suggests the hypothetical of who could have been the greatest, such as Ricky Williams. I grew up watch Barry...no doubt that had he returned for just one more season he would have shattered Walter Payton's rushing record.  Barry was one of my favorite players of all time.  I thought he was way better than Emmitt Smith. My suggestion of Bo Jackson might have been caused by the fact, he might have been the best athlete I have ever.  And, I got to see him play plenty as I am a diehard Broncos fan and had to watch him routinely truck Bronco linebacker, who back then, were pretty good.  Had Bo not busted his hip the way he did...who knows what he would have done...dude was a freak.  

13 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We knew Barry was the best.  The title of this post suggests the hypothetical of who could have been the greatest, such as Ricky Williams. I grew up watch Barry...no doubt that had he returned for just one more season he would have shattered Walter Payton's rushing record.  Barry was one of my favorite players of all time.  I thought he was way better than Emmitt Smith. My suggestion of Bo Jackson might have been caused by the fact, he might have been the best athlete I have ever.  And, I got to see him play plenty as I am a diehard Broncos fan and had to watch him routinely truck Bronco linebacker, who back then, were pretty good.  Had Bo not busted his hip the way he did...who knows what he would have done...dude was a freak.  

???

My response was towards the guy who seemed to suggest Bo was just a size speed guy.   I agree with most of what you said.

39 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

That is primarily what Bo Jackson is known for is his freakish athleticism. Sorry for not going on a full scouting report there regarding strengths/weaknesses to derail the thread too far. However when did I say he was nothing more than a Size/Speed freak? I didn't. I absolutely was suggesting he didn't have the same level of vision, quickness, and balance that a guy like Sanders possessed, so I suppose regardless, a healthy Bo Jackson still very likely wouldn't have been better than Barry. 

In just Barry Sanders first 2 NFL seasons he had about the same amount of rushing yards that Bo Jackson had in his entire career. Barry Sanders also had almost twice as many touchdowns as Bo Jackson had in his career in just his first 2 NFL seasons. In those 2 seasons Sanders had a similar YPC to Bo's career average, but the big difference is Sanders carried the load. Bo got to split carries with Marcus Allen

Archived