Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

Some players we had high hopes for wilted in actual game action. Depending on Tonyan's medicals, we might see a vet pass catching TE soon. 

I think that Love improved but will never be more than just "a guy" in the NFL.

Oline should be in good shape this season.

D-line will be the best we've seen since adopting the 3-4. 

Edge and DB depth is suspect.

I feel really good about our group of receivers. There will be talent on the practice squad.

+Romeo Doubs was the star of the show.  

+The DL was good.  And that was minus Clark, Lowry, and Wyatt.  

+I thought that the OL looked pretty good as well.  Probably not an all-time great unit, but passable as is.  

=Jordan Love.  I think he is playing better than he has in the past.  He looks confident, and in control.  But he keeps turning the ball over, and we can't have that.

=Cornerbacks as a whole.  I think there was a lot of tight coverage, but there were some gaffes as well.  SJC and Nixon looked like the best of the bunch to me, Gafford was probably pulling up the rear.

=Inside backers.  Nothing special, nothing really terrible either.

-Safeties.  There is a wide open lane for a back-up safety spot, and nobody made any plays at all.  Leavitt got burned really, really bad once.

-Edge.  There were a couple of flashes, but just like safety, there is an open spot and not a lot of advantage taking.  Almost all of the pressure was DL generated.

I am trying to come up with a Jordan Love comparison right now.  He doesn't stink, but he is way too turnover prone to be comfortable with.  And while we can excuse some of the odd bounces, it doesn't happen to Rodgers, or Etling, or Benkert, or Boyle.  Love isn't Rosen, or Darnold.  Maybe he is Baker Mayfield?

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I am trying to come up with a Jordan Love comparison right now.  He doesn't stink, but he is way too turnover prone to be comfortable with.  And while we can excuse some of the odd bounces, it doesn't happen to Rodgers, or Etling, or Benkert, or Boyle.  Love isn't Rosen, or Darnold.  Maybe he is Baker Mayfield?

Jared Goff.  There's some talent there but you can't really count on him.

19 minutes ago, MuFF said:

I was surprised to see Amari Rodgers as a KR in preseason, as well as a WR late in the game. Given how cautious the Packers are with injuries, I tend to not think this means he is not a lock to make the team.

Doubt it, I think they want him to get some confidence going. 

So ... Well lotta mixed feelings after tonight

The RBs had some fireworks whenever the OL did its job, or when that Danny Davis guy caught that pass.  Even though he's probably not on the final 53, I still liked the effort he put out.

Doubbs is definitely worth the talk and the hype.  I think we'll get to see a little more of that this season even as high loaded as our WR group is

Amari Rodgers ... Yeah he scored the TD, but it was pretty late there and was his only catch of the game, and John Kuhn was rightfully critical of his route running there

I still think Deguara is still very mediocre, and .... Nope just don't see anything changing there ever

Defense, bit of a tough night for them, but all backups and preseason is kinda hard to really grade them fairly

Oh man, special teams .... Well likely still a work in progress.