Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

6 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Rewatch packers steelers 2017 game. U dont need to know Xs and Os to recognize AB was a generational talent 

I’m not sure I’d describe him as a generational talent. He was a great WR but he really wasn’t that athletically talented. 

Randy Moss was a Generational talent. Or maybe even Calvin Johnson/ Julio Jones. There aren’t many of them from a talent perspective.

If Doubs can clean up the bobbles, it looks like his game is legit.  That is probably the only meaningful take away I had from last night. 

Love looker better to me last night than he did last season, but the improvement was more on the incremental side vs significant.  He didn't look like crap, so I guess that is something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m not sure I’d describe him as a generational talent. He was a great WR but he really wasn’t that athletically talented. 

Randy Moss was a Generational talent. Or maybe even Calvin Johnson/ Julio Jones. There aren’t many of them from a talent perspective.

agree that moss and calvin johnson were generational talents  at WR. dominant ability to come down with contested deep balls. not sure julio makes the cut in that category but liked him a lot. you could watch 20 years of packers games and never see anything close in green and gold. 

AB's combine numbers don't do his on-field athleticism justice IMO

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If Doubs can clean up the bobbles, it looks like his game is legit.  That is probably the only meaningful take away I had from last night. 

Love looker better to me last night than he did last season, but the improvement was more on the incremental side vs significant.  He didn't look like crap, so I guess that is something.

rogers looked faster than last year but i would much rather keep winfree. 

If Doubs holds onto the ball, Packers fans would've said, "What a great contested catch!  Great hands!  Another highlight play by the rookie receiver!"  

But bcuz he got it stripped, it was bcuz of Love's penchant for turnovers or it was a bad throw lol.

• Like 2

Opening back up the Gafford/Leavitt debate...I think we have space on this roster for only one special teamer who doesn't contribute on offense or defense. Gafford and Leavitt are in direct competition for this role. Only one will make the roster.

52 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Opening back up the Gafford/Leavitt debate...I think we have space on this roster for only one special teamer who doesn't contribute on offense or defense. Gafford and Leavitt are in direct competition for this role. Only one will make the roster.

Gafford is a better PS candidate IMO. I mean the guy literally just changed his position a few months ago. He's an easy PS stash and could even be used later this year if needed.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

If Doubs holds onto the ball, Packers fans would've said, "What a great contested catch!  Great hands!  Another highlight play by the rookie receiver!"  

But bcuz he got it stripped, it was bcuz of Love's penchant for turnovers or it was a bad throw lol.

If you want the benefit of the doubt - earn it. Winfree saved him from a 4th pick. 

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

rogers looked faster than last year but i would much rather keep winfree. 

Not trying to be confrontational, but why?  Has either shown enough to warrant a strong opinion either way?  I expect one of the two on the final 53.  I'm pretty sure I don't care which one it is, but I think Winfree has an uphill battle.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Nixon will also be in that category, although I would hope he could prove to be depth at DB.

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Gafford is a better PS candidate IMO. I mean the guy literally just changed his position a few months ago. He's an easy PS stash and could even be used later this year if needed.

Dude was a full time college CB at least. It's like it's brand new.

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

It becomes his fault when it’s his fault. The read on the pass to Amari Rodgers was a terrible decision but even MLF said 2 WR’s ran the wrong route on that play. He should have ate the ball if that’s the case and run. Having a pass that may have hit the WR in the face, go through his hands is not Loves fault and wouldn’t be any QB’s fault. Having a completed pass get taken away by a DB is not the QB’s fault  

Does he have mechanical issuer, sure but we knew that would take time. He also has a different OC every year in college which set him back. Is he ready for prime time yet, no but he does have the tools. Was AR a bad pick when we took him? At some point you need to plan for the future and the pick for Love was that, the future and we knew he would take time, maybe as much time as AR took. 

Now, you may be right but time will tell and if he’s crap in 2 years I will say it’s time to move on but the talent is worth the risk IMO. If the talent learns the game like it did with Favre and AR we will have a quality QB once AR retires. Probably not a HOF but he could be damn good yet. 

The Packers have already decided to move on from him. The only reason Jordan Love is still on the roster is because he's cheap and a first round pick. This idea that we are gonna sit him 4-5 years then offer him a 2nd contract is just straight delusional.