Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

On Offense:

Love in year 2.5 (that first year training camp made it almost impossible for anybody to progress).  Footwork has improved significantly, but still a work in progress.  Game is slowing down for him but is not there yet.  Does look more poised in the pocket.  If he keeps working on his footwork (and I think it will get better) and getting more reps, hopefully some of the accuracy issues subside.  He has to learn to put the ball more out front and a little lower.  That can be worked on.  Decision making for the most part looked ok except on the interception but part of that is Amari just ran a poor route.  But even there if he throws it more out front, the ball is just going to be an incompletion.  You'd hope a 1st round pick would be more further advanced, but both the team and him are lucky that he has another year to continue to work on the fundamentals and improve.  Rodgers made his jump in year 3 and finished it in year 4.

Hanson was a real disappointment for a guy who is now in year 3.  He has no lead in his pants.  Hopefully Sean Rhyan starts to show more in camp.  He has the perfect body for a guard.  Plus I think Jenkins will be back around game 6 this year.  I just hope Hanson does not start game 1 for us.

Doubs shows he can get open.  He is great at the break on his route and creates separation.  Now he needs to be more consistent at the catch point.

Davis keeps showing up.  I guess I should not be surprised.  The quarterback play at Wisconsin is pretty bad the last couple of years so he really could not show what he had.

Both tight ends looked below average.  This is one area that without Tonyan on the field, we got to get better people out there.

On Defense:

Both Slayton and Slaton looked pretty good.  Slayton played a lot yesterday and looked tired in the 4th quarter, but I think he showed well in the first half.  Slaton looks like he is in better shape and ready to be a regular part of the rotation.

Did not see much from the outside linebackers or the back up cornerbacks.

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He really only had the 1.   The 3rd pick was absolutely his fault.  The other two were entirely on Davis and Doubs.  At least Doubs caught the ball before getting it stripped.  Davis' hit him right in the mitts and sends it airborne.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

+ Jordan Love - I thought outside of the first drive he looked pretty damn good. Two of those INT were not on him at all and the 3rd apparently there was 2 WRs that ran the wrong routes. 

+

Romeo Doubs - The dude gets open but you have to catch balls and you cannot allow a DB to rip one away from you. I think this game showed his talent but I think the couple mistakes need to be cleaned up. 

43 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Doubs looked as advertised besides the drop and the  weird interception. I like it probably will take him back to earth and not be overhyped about his play.

38 minutes ago, craig said:

Doubs interception was a lose-lose.  Yes, fault Doubs for letting it get stripped. 

But Love made a poor throw.

On that 2nd interception, Yes, of course you would have liked to see Doubs catch it but that wasn’t like a routine catch. He had to jump up and go get it then was falling down and the defender made a hell of a play to strip it away while Doubs was falling to the ground. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to a guy for making a play like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

+ Jordan Love - I thought outside of the first drive he looked pretty damn good. Two of those INT were not on him at all and the 3rd apparently there was 2 WRs that ran the wrong routes. 

One concern for Love is the throws made tight to the body of a receiver when they are headed towards the sideline. Backshoulder throws need to be tight to the body while upfield throws need to be a little in front. I saw a couple of slightly errant throws there and throws to receivers out wide who are 5-7yds upfield need to hit a small target area.

I haven't changed my mind about Love - because I'd never made my mind up in the first place. He could still be anything from out of the league in another two years, to a legit starting QB.

• Like 3

I was happy with the progress from Garvin and Tipa. Thought Enagbare played with a lot of juice too. OL I thought held together really well. 

More concerned with our TE and CB depth now than I am EDGE and OL. Jared Cook and Kevin King would be easy additions at this point with familiarity of GB.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I was happy with the progress from Garvin and Tipa. Thought Enagbare played with a lot of juice too. OL I thought held together really well. 

More concerned with our TE and CB depth now than I am EDGE and OL. Jared Cook and Kevin King would be easy additions at this point with familiarity of GB.

Still TE and EDGE for me. 

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

At what point does it stop being everyone elses fault? I hated the Love pick, I dont hate Love. I genuinely want him to be good, I just don't see it.

I dont know how anyone can watch that game last night and think he's anywhere close to where he should be.

When the quarterback has to catch his own passes. The first two were on the WR, ENTIRELY! The third one was Love's fault but may show A. Rodgers isn't the answer because he couldn't shake his guy in the slot. That is an issue, but NO way Love should have thrown that one. 

- Love looks a lot better than at any point in the past. Like light years better. I see Kirk Cousins as his upside at this moment, but he's got a better arm and he's more athletic. He definitely has to be more accurate on throws in the flat, that was clearly his biggest shortcoming in this game. He was poised and ran the offense well. Needs more experience for sure. Excited to see the progress in next week's game. He has to be more accurate in his throws in the flat

- Hanson is not big enough or strong enough to play in the NFL. He should not make the roster.

- Toms looks thin to me. 

- Goodson is better than Patrick Taylor. 

- A. Rodgers looks better than last year but is he better than Winfree? Who cares, because if we remain somewhat healthy at WR, neither should be a factor. I'd take Winfree at this point.

- We have some bad secondary players at the end of the roster. Not sure who makes it as DB 9-10-11. Depending on Levitt's shoulder, that may open a spot. I was counting him in as a special teamer, but he clearly cannot play defense in the NFL. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

That was my observation. He was moving bodies, including his own. I can’t wait to see him in the second level screen game, lots of athleticism in that massive frame. I saw an interview he did next to KC, Myers is a giant at C and is learning across from one of the best. 

Edited by Refugee