Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not trying to be confrontational, but why?  Has either shown enough to warrant a strong opinion either way?  I expect one of the two on the final 53.  I'm pretty sure I don't care which one it is, but I think Winfree has an uphill battle.

its not like i have watched 18 games of tape from both guys, but from the limited viewing...

winfree seems to be a better route runner, looks to have nice explosiveness out of cuts, and his hands seem reliable. at 6'1 he has a size advantage over rogers and most nfl cb's.

i dont see many high quality characteristics about rogers. i feel like at 5'9 you ought to have very good athleticism. he isn't reliable on special teams, though he does look a bit more quicker this year. i hope he catches on somewhere.

seems redundant on our roster with Cobb. most of all i like a good underdog story. i agree it is an uphill battle, but i think rogers has been given every advantage and not pulled away. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StatKing said:

At what point does it stop being everyone elses fault? I hated the Love pick, I dont hate Love. I genuinely want him to be good, I just don't see it.

I dont know how anyone can watch that game last night and think he's anywhere close to where he should be.

Yah right .. you can't see what you don't want to see.  He's not by any means polished or ready yet; may never be but he's nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be.

3 hours ago, StatKing said:

The Packers have already decided to move on from him. The only reason Jordan Love is still on the roster is because he's cheap and a first round pick. This idea that we are gonna sit him 4-5 years then offer him a 2nd contract is just straight delusional.

So instead of dealing him for pick(s), we're going to eat the contract and let him walk when he hits FA only to draft another QB?  That doesn't make sense.

Enagbare immediately our 3rd best edge rusher.

Nixon had a nice night, keeps a lid on plays and gets guys on the ground. Good depth add.

Does Doubs see more snaps than Cobb week 1?

Kenny-Slaton-Jarran-Lowry is a great start. Cant wait to watch some Wyatt next week. DL feels real nice. Thats new.

Slayton vs Heflin is gonna go deep and it might not matter. 

Rhyan looks the part, Hanson doesn't.

Tyler Davis is a jumbo slot not a TE.

Wish I could watch SJC and Vernon do their thing with Leavitt being picked on all night wasnt much else to see on the broadcast. Thanks NFL. 

Love's got a little mojo. More reps more better. See what these next two games look like.

Interceptions have some randomness.  As notes, neither of the first two picks were really interception-vulnerable;  no defenders had any shot for either of those, other than on rebound/strip interceptions.  The Winfree completion was way worse, a terrible throw that was much more interception-probable than the first two.  

My sense is that Love kind of stared some receivers down at times? 

And that the Doubs int, that throw should have been made a step or two sooner.  Doubs had the defender sealed behind him with space to the sideline, but not only did Love throw it high, he just should have thrown it sooner while he and Doubs still had some space to the sideline.  O well.  Live and learn, Jordan.  

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So instead of dealing him for pick(s), we're going to eat the contract and let him walk when he hits FA only to draft another QB?  That doesn't make sense.

Its really not that hard to understand. We are a team that is strapped for cap, he's on a cheap contract and no other team wants him. I dont understand why people think there's a market for him.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

Not to mention the optics are much better if the Packers give him every last chance to show he belongs vs trading him for a 6th Round pick a year early. 

At this point all it is about is optics. They know Love cant play, if they thought he had the potential to be a franchise QB they wouldn't have gave a 38 year old QB a market setting deal that runs through his entire rookie contract.

Packers best and worst grades vs 49ersfrom PFF: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/13/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-preseason-opener-vs-49ers/?taid=62f85738dd0cfc00011a90bc&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Top 5 offense

1. C Josh Myers: 92.2
2. OT Zach Tom: 80.2
3. OT Caleb Jones: 76.5
4. WR Danny Davis: 73.3
5. OL Sean Rhyan: 72.2

Top 5 defense

1. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 75.2
2. DL TJ Slaton: 73.9
3. CB Keisean Nixon: 73.4
4. CB Shemar Jean-Charles: 72.5
5. LB Ellis Brooks: 71.7

Bottom 5 offense

1. TE Tyler Davis: 30.8
2. RB Patrick Taylor: 38.8
3. RB Dexter Williams: 50.8
4. WR Ishmael Hyman: 54.1
5. TE Sal Cannella: 54.7

Bottom 5 defense

1. LB Ray Wilborn: 26.1
2. DL Chris Slayton: 30.3
3. DL Jonathan Ford: 30.9
4. CB Rico Gafford: 37.3
5. DL Akial Byers: 39.7

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

a stud like kurt benkert sitting at home playing fortnite while jordan love gets opportunity also does not make sense

14 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

a stud like kurt benkert sitting at home playing fortnite while jordan love gets opportunity also does not make sense

I knew we cut him but I still don't get why we did....

He must have called Rodgers gay or something