Utah Jazz Trade Guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cleveland Cavaliers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

From Larry Coon (who I consider the premier NBA CBA expert that isn't one of the talking heads):

"There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

yeah they gave garland the dre this year which doesn't expire until 2028 and mitchell signed his in 2020 so his runs until 2026 (2025 if he opts out). so unless they trade away one of those guys mobley is ineligible for it

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

From Larry Coon (who I consider the premier NBA CBA expert that isn't one of the talking heads):

"There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

But they'd already have two with Mitchell and Garland, right?

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

But they'd already have two with Mitchell and Garland, right?

I thought we were talking about Brooklyn?  But I would assume that Mitchell is almost certainly opting out of his last year deal, so I think the Cavs would be able to max Mobley.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I thought we were talking about Brooklyn?  But I would assume that Mitchell is almost certainly opting out of his last year deal, so I think the Cavs would be able to max Mobley.

you're confusing what i said about mobley and another about brooklyn getting mitchell

and mitchell can't opt out until 2025 which is when mobley hits rfa and isn't dre eligible. they could still sign him to the 5 year 25% max but he would lose out on any rose rule bump (i think) that he would've otherwise gotten

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Still probably a hard pass.  I've got Bogey as worth a protected FRP.  Beasley and NAW as neutral value, so I'd take them into my cap space without needing to be incentivized to do so.  Westbrook despite being a massive contract is still an expiring contract, so I'm not giving up any kind of unprotected FRP for a collection of role players.

This ^

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Still probably a hard pass.  I've got Bogey as worth a protected FRP.  Beasley and NAW as neutral value, so I'd take them into my cap space without needing to be incentivized to do so.  Westbrook despite being a massive contract is still an expiring contract, so I'm not giving up any kind of unprotected FRP for a collection of role players.

Yeah, makes sense. I guess with the Lakers needing to make the trade moreso than Utah, and needing to outbid for Bojan, I figured they'd need to add another piece.

Bojan is obviously legit and Beasley is a good bench wing. NAW was just to match salaries.

I think an unprotected 1st would be necessary. If Utah wanted more then a protected swap or some of their extra 2nds maybe to get it done.

24 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, makes sense. I guess with the Lakers needing to make the trade moreso than Utah, and needing to outbid for Bojan, I figured they'd need to add another piece.

Bojan is obviously legit and Beasley is a good bench wing. NAW was just to match salaries.

I think an unprotected 1st would be necessary. If Utah wanted more then a protected swap or some of their extra 2nds maybe to get it done.

Both teams have motivation tbh.  Utah has too many guaranteed contracts on the roster right now.  They're either going to be eating guaranteed money or they need to do an unbalanced trade.  I know Phoenix has been rumored as a potential landing spot for Bogey, but they're going to have to give up more players than they're getting back which makes that harder for the Jazz to swallow.  Plus, is Bogey going to fetch much in a trade with Phoenix that is giving up Jae Crowder?

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

That's a much rosier view than what I think reality will be.  Three picks in the 20's, possibly late 20's, mostly several years from now and the ability to swap picks which they almost certainly will not.

I'll give you preferring Sexton, but they are also going to have to pay him if they want to keep him

Danny Ainge acquired the picks to draft Tatum / Brown from Brooklyn years before they came to fruition. 

There’s literally no one way you can gauge how valuable picks will be in 3-7 years. Especially for a small market team, guys get hurt, teams don’t work out, the Jazz literally had the best record in the league a year ago and blew it up despite having limited draft capital to really want to embrace a tank. 

The Jazz just signed Sexton to a 4 yr/72M deal. They would’ve had to extend Barrett for 4 yr/$120M. 

35 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, it'd be Bogey and another elite shooter on an expiring deal.

What would you be willing to offer?

He also thought we’d just give away all of our older guys for nothing and we fleeced them for THT and Stanley. The same THT who was supposed to be the center piece in basically every proposed deal the Lakers had for a star player. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Danny Ainge acquired the picks to draft Tatum / Brown from Brooklyn years before they came to fruition. 

There’s literally no one way you can gauge how valuable picks will be in 3-7 years. Especially for a small market team, guys get hurt, teams don’t work out, the Jazz literally had the best record in the league a year ago and blew it up despite having limited draft capital to really want to embrace a tank. 

The Jazz just signed Sexton to a 4 yr/72M deal. They would’ve had to extend Barrett for 4 yr/$120M. 

The Cavs won't have the incentive to tank that the Jazz had because they gave up all their picks already. They're also way deeper and younger than the Nets were after they traded for KG and Pierce's corpses.

They could've gotten better picks from the Knicks because the Knicks still would have sucked with Mitchell, and a couple of players who may not end up better than Sexton/Markannen, but are cheaper and at least have a chance to breakout.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

52 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

They could've gotten better picks from the Knicks because the Knicks still would have sucked with Mitchell, and a couple of players who may not end up better than Sexton/Markannen, but are cheaper and at least have a chance to breakout.

Yup. The Knicks with Mitchell are definitely worse than the Cavs with Mitchell. The picks likely will be worse than what they would have gotten.

10 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, it'd be Bogey and another elite shooter on an expiring deal.

What would you be willing to offer?

I'd say a semi-protected (think top 10) and some SRPs.  That's probably the most I'd offer.  I think a 3-team deal needs to happen in order to get it to work.  Lakers get Beasley, Bogey, and expirings from 3rd team, Jazz get Wettbrook and pick(s), and 3rd team gets Clarkson.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He also thought we’d just give away all of our older guys for nothing and we fleeced them for THT and Stanley. The same THT who was supposed to be the center piece in basically every proposed deal the Lakers had for a star player. 

Fleeced?  Good one.