BDL 2022 Week 1 - Death Valley Nightmare @ Raleigh Firebirds

RuskieTitan

Who Wins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Death Valley Nightmare
    • Raleigh Firebirds

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2022 at 04:59 AM

BDL 2022 Week 1

Match:  Death Valley Nightmare @ Raleigh Firebirds

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @EaglesPeteC

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Edited by RuskieTitan

Death Valley Nightmare

QB: Lamar Jackson
RB: Derrick Henry
WR1: Jerry Jeudy
WR2:  Jahan Dotson
WR3(Slot):  Tyler Boyd
TE: Dawson Knox
LT:  Penei Sewell
LG:  Brandon Schreff
C : Creed Humphrey
RG: Alex Cappa
RT:  La'el Collins

Bench:

RB: Cordarrelle Patterson
RB: Breece Hall
WR: Jalen Tolbert
WR: KJ Osborn
TE: Tyler Conklin
TE: Zach Gentry
OT: Matt Pryor
OG:Jonah Jackson

LE: Leonard Williams
NT:  Javon Hargrave 
RE: Cam Heyward
WLB: Kwity Paye 
LILB: Jeremy Chinn
RILB:  Zaven Collins 
SLB: Brian Burns
CB1:  Chidobe Awuzie
CB2: Carlton Davis
FS: Xavier McKinney
SS:  Jevon Holland

Bench:

CB: Anthony Brown
CB Darious Williams
NB:  Byron Murphy
Edge: Lorenzo Carter
LB: Cody Barton
INT: Raekwon Davis
INT: Calais Campbell
S: Jordan Whitehead

Raleigh Firebirds

Offense

QB- Kyler Murray 

RB/SWR- Christian McCaffrey

RB- David Montgomery

WR- Davante Adams

WR- Robert Woods

TE- Mark Andrews

LT- Laremy Tunsil

LG- Landon Dickerson

C- Mitch Morse

RG- Issac Seumalo 

RT- Jordan Mailata 

RB- Darrell Henderson

WR- Robbie Anderson

WR- James Proche

WR- Jalen Guyton

WR- David Bell 

TE- Robert Tonyan

Reserve OL- Patrick Mekari

Swing G/T- Jack Driscoll 

Defense

EDGE- Danielle Hunter

DE- David Onyemata

NT- Sebastian Joseph Day

DE- BJ Hill

EDGE- Brandon Graham 

LB- CJ Mosley

LB- Quay Walker

CB- Darius Slay

CB- Marcus Peters (Q) 

FS- Quandre Diggs

SS- Taylor Rapp

EDGE- Jermaine Johnson 

EDGE- Samson Ekubaum

DT- Grover Stewart

LB- Rashaan Evans

SCB- Avonte Maddox

3rd outside CB- Ronald Darby

Depth inside/outside CB- Tre Flowers

3rd S- Julian Blackmon

Death Valley Nightmare
Synopsis: I win

OBJECTIVES: Other than the obvious objective of winning, we want to dominate the time of possession and control the tempo of the game on both sides of the ball.

OFFENSE

Offensively this week we are going to be runn8ng a Zone Read offense to counter Raleighs 4-2-5 defense.

We are going to use a quick  Release passing game and a very violent running game.

The 4-2-5 all starts with the defensive lines ability tp dominate the offensive line. Sewell, Schreff, Humphry, Cappa, and Collins suggest that iant going to happen.

Within that Zone Read attack we are going to isw multiple looks, 2 TE, 2 RB, 4 WR, 3 WR. We are going to run primarily out of the shotgun. We want to get the ball in the middle of the defense and quick outs to the sidelines to move the chains. If the Defense starts to adjust and creep up, we are going over the top with Jeudy.

Lamar WILL NOT be the primary runner, but he will have the green light to run the ball when the oppportunity to do so presents itself.

In the running game when I have 2 running backs on the field I want the option of a run or a pass.  While Derek Henry may not be the the level of a eceiver as Cordarrelle Patterson is, he can be reliable and we will use him a few times in that role to keep the defense guessing.

Breece hall will also get some opportunities in Henrys stead to help keep.him fresh.

Out of the backfield when passing we will mostly use angle, wheel, flat, and screen passes.

Initially we will use 2 titans as receivers however if we decipher thatypher that Raleigh is blitzing a lot we will begin keeping a tight end in the backfield to assist with blitzes Is and adjust our receiving options accordingly.
In 4 wide receiver setsOur receivers will beOur receivers will be Jerry Jeudy, Jahan Dotson, Jalen Tolbert, & Tyler Boyd.

Jahan Dotson and Tyler Boyd will share Slot dutiies, as well as Tolbert and Dotson sharing Outside duties. We want to create mismatches and opportunities whereveer we can by showing different looks consistently.

We do not believe that that the secondary Ari or the linebackers can consistently consistently contain Derrick Henry. We will certainly be letting him find out.

DEFENSE

The biggest three threats in this game are Mark Andrews, Davante Adams, and Christian McCaffery in that order.  We plan to play a semi-comservative defense in this game in regards to blitzing to avoid any over pursuance or missed tackles.

I think Raleigh has more faith in their ability to block our 3-man front than they should. All the QB pressure will come from there. Knowing that Kyler can run effectively with the ball our OLBs will play contain.

Chinn is responsible for Andrews, Awuzie is responsible for Adams with help over the top from a Safety.

The other WRs will be matched up with Corners/Safeties respectably. If we have to go into Nickle Collins will come off the field in favor of an extra Corner. In Dime Hargrave will come off.

We plan to run a man heavy defense in this game with providing help over the top on Adams. We will run some Cover 2 and 3 zone.

As mentioned earlier we are going to be relatively conservative in terms of blitzing but we will blitz about 15%. The blitzes will come from various places, ILB, OLB, CB, S (changing it up). We plan to use a Zone Blitz scheme within that 15% to disguise our defense.

Our #1 goal is to keep the passing game under wraps. While they have a trio of respectable RBs we beleive in our front zone enough to be able to contain them, we will stay honest against the run. If Murray decides to run, he might not finish the game healthy.

*Should Byron Murphy be inactive, Darious Williams will move to the NB role.0

Raleigh Firebirds

Week 1

OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN

As we look at DVN’s defense we see 2 areas that Raleigh’s offense has a decided advantage. That is the DVN inside LB’s vs our interior OL and runningbacks and the DVN CB’s trying to cover Davante Adams.

So this week we will come out with a base 21 personnel with both Christian McCaffrey and David Montogomery on the field. We want to start the game with DVN focusing on stopping McCaffrey, so we plan on using him a lot as a decoy especially motioning him out as a receiver which we think will pull Jeremy Chinn out of the box and then running inside or on stretch plays with David Montgomery or on read option plays and running Kyler Murray. We think we will be able to pass to the middle of the field behind that. Specifically the combination of Christian McCaffrey in the slot and Mark Andrews coming down the seam. We anticipate one of the safeties cheating over to help against Adams which means running him on deeper routes will open up the middle even more. Adjusting to that will put Adams into 1 on 1 coverage which is an advantage to us. Subbing in Robbie Anderson occasionally will also allow for a few deep shots to give DVN more to think about. I also plan on subbing in Robert Tonyan in two TE looks to take further advantage of our advantage over the middle.

Our goal is to get DVN to start treating McCaffrey as a WR and to put more CB’s and safeties on the field and then we will give him the ball as an RB more. We hope that will pull the defense to attack the line of scrimmage more and then letting the route running of Adams and Woods take over for easy short completions to move the ball.

We think our offensive line vs DVN’s defensive line is a pretty even matchup. They have some pretty good players but we feel like we can neutralize them from taking over the game and wrecking our game plan. By moving McCaffrey around we hope that will force them to take some of their better players off the field in their defensive line and force them to put out less talented players to stop him. 

DEFENSIVE GAME PLAN

Scheme hybrid 3-4

We feel like our advantage in this game is our secondary vs DVN’s TE’s and WR’s. Darius Slay, Marcus Peters (or Ronald Darby if Peters is out) and Avonte Maddox we feel can really lock down Jeudy, Dotson and Boyd (or Corderelle Patterson if used as WR) with a combination of man coverage and press zone. We want to be physical with these receivers and we think we can throw the timing off the passing game. We will use single high safety with Quandre Diggs over the top and keep Taylor Rapp in the box for run support and to cover Hall or Patterson in the passing game. 

Meanwhile, we will really focus on stopping DVN’s running game combination of Derrick Henry and Lamar Jackson. Our plan is to rush on the outside to contain. Brandon Graham gets the start this week over rookie Jermaine Johnson because we want Graham’s experience and run stopping ability on the field. Johnson will sub in often though. We are going to rush wide to keep Jackson from escaping and to force Henry inside in the run game. Using a 3-4 look will give us 3 big bodies inside on the defensive line rotating in SJD, BJ Hill, Onyemata and Grover Stewart. We want to force Henry and Lamar inside into that trio. Our LB’s will focus on playing downhill which plays into the strength of CJ Mosley as a run stopper and a blitzer. Rapp playing down in the box will help cleanup runs and help cover on play action to the TE and RB. We think keeping rush lane intergrity will contain Lamar way better than trying to spy him and taking a player out of run support or coverage responsibility. When we do spy, Rapp will serve as the spy. Our blitzing will mostly come from the A gap with Mosley and Walker or from the safety or NB position. But overall, I don’t see this as a high blitz game.

A heavy rotation of our EDGE and INT players will help keep them fresh and able to prevent Lamar or Henry from gashing us when the game gets later.

Alternate looks:

When we want to go to a NCB look, Walker will come off the field and Taylor Rapp will work as a hybrid LB/S. We will sub in Julian Blackmon as well in two deep saftey looks if we want to protect the seams more or when we think they will try and work the ball deep. 

The overall goal is to keep Lamar in the pocket and then push and collapse the pocket from the inside. We want to force him to check it down or test the match ups outside against our CB’s. We think this plan will keep Henry from ripping off big chunks in the run game.

35 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

you too 

Should be a pretty even matchup since all the voters hate running QB's and we have 2 of the runningist QB's. 

19 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Lamar Jackson has a Bizz Bowl championship and while Watson is more of a pocket passer he could still scoot and he won one also.

listen the kid mero GIF by Desus & Mero

• Like 2

This is a really fun matchup. Neither QB lit it up Sunday but I'm willing to look past that given the gameplans and the better supporting casts they have here (especially Murray).

I really, really don't like DVN's plan to generate pressure with a 3 man rush against Raleigh's offensive line. Cam Heyward is a monster, but even he's going to struggle once the O-line starts doubling him. I also think focusing on locking down Henry was a good decision by Raleigh. Going with the Firebirds in an exciting game.

Just for clarity because it is written in the game plan. I am not always only Russian with 3 people. I don't have a heavy blitz package in this game because I respect the above in offense but when I am blitzing More than 3. I did have a revised version to explain that my intent was to rush for all the time however Apparently I did not submit that revised version so that is irrelevant

Going with Raleigh because they will get the early jump coming out with the 3-4 defense as opposed to the expected 4-2-5 that was HEAVILY prepped for. I consider both teams pretty even but this oversight is gonna be a smack in the mouth for Death Valley that will be tough to recover from.