BDL 2022 Week 1 - Death Valley Nightmare @ Raleigh Firebirds

RuskieTitan

Who Wins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Death Valley Nightmare
    • Raleigh Firebirds

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2022 at 04:59 AM

This is a very close one also. I feel like I keep saying this and I do genuinely mean it. I’m going DV here. I feel like their defensive plan to contain Kyler pays off here. I don’t think DV planning on a different defense from Raleigh derails them completely here. The plan to shut down Henry for Raleigh is smart but I think the receiving weapons for DV are a little underrated. It’s close as can be probably by a point or two but DV pulls it out on the road. Well done both of you. 

I personally don’t like the wording of “blitz” meaning rushing 4 instead of 3 which is how I believe it’s meant in the writeup. A normal rush is 4. A blitz is more than 4. 

My understanding of this defensive writeup is the OLBs are playing contain, the 3 defensive linemen are rushing, and then we have 5 man coverages and a safety over the top of Adams. This actually makes it seem like you’re blitzing every snap since you only have a single high safety that’s even shaded towards a WR. The biggest benefit of not blitzing is leaving more players in coverage, so with this scheme it feels like you’re getting the disadvantages of both blitzing and not blitzing while gaining the advantage of… Murray not being able to scramble to the outside. 

I’ve read the Death Valley defensive plan multiple times trying to justify it, but I honestly can’t at all. Raleigh gets my vote 

Both teams have positives in the gameplans and issues on the field.  The one thing I keep coming back to is how well DV will move the ball on offense.  Raleigh definitely approached this in a good way with funneling LJ and Henry to the middle. In a game that will be high scoring and come down to a final possession for each it will end with who can move the ball better.  

I think bottling up LJ and exploiting that ~50% completion percentage is what wins the game for Raleigh 31-28

Both teams have fantastic OL's IMO. I think DVN has the better defensive line and ILB's and Raleigh has the better secondary. I think Raleigh is able to balance Graham's run defense with Johnson's pass rush to be able to give them just enough to make it work on the defense. I think it DVN used Patterson receiving out the backfield more (I know some 2 RB sets got mentioned) I think he could've caused some mismatches because he's a bad match up for Raleigh.

9 hours ago, Whicker said:

I personally don’t like the wording of “blitz” meaning rushing 4 instead of 3 which is how I believe it’s meant in the writeup. A normal rush is 4. A blitz is more than 4. 

My understanding of this defensive writeup is the OLBs are playing contain, the 3 defensive linemen are rushing, and then we have 5 man coverages and a safety over the top of Adams. This actually makes it seem like you’re blitzing every snap since you only have a single high safety that’s even shaded towards a WR. The biggest benefit of not blitzing is leaving more players in coverage, so with this scheme it feels like you’re getting the disadvantages of both blitzing and not blitzing while gaining the advantage of… Murray not being able to scramble to the outside. 

I’ve read the Death Valley defensive plan multiple times trying to justify it, but I honestly can’t at all. Raleigh gets my vote 

I'm not actually using a single high safety.

Both of my safeties typically play coverage when I run a defense. I'm Simply specifically assigning a safety to help with coverage on Adams specifically. The other safety is not set Assigned to a specific receiver. He will help in coverage  Where it is needed within within that area that he is playing. Hopefully that makes sense.

I intended to submit my revised version of defense where I was always rushing for in 4 however I did not do that so so technically in this defense I'm rushing 3 however I am occasionally blitzing where I am sending more than 4. However the reason I chose not to blitz constantly is because of the quarterback mobility