Week 2 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's nutty. I think this is probably the cleanest way that this could have happened. I feel like it would be nutty if this were a Kaep / Alex 2012 situation .

Yeah, this is quite immediately clean. The problem is what happens after, lol. Although if you can make mediocre quarterbacks into dangerous players if they can just do some things consistently competently, you have more options. It shouldn't work, but hey. We are weird. We have to be the weirdest dangerous playoff team over the past twenty years. Like, you look at the other teams that have been to multiple conference championships, its been the same guy at the helm and he's really good. For us, it is everyone under the sun, and they are all some variation of average with an absolutely stacked supporting cast, especially the offensive line run blocking and defense. 

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, this is quite immediately clean. The problem is what happens after, lol. Although if you can make mediocre quarterbacks into dangerous players if they can just do some things consistently competently, you have more options. It shouldn't work, but hey. We are weird. We have to be the weirdest dangerous playoff team over the past twenty years. Like, you look at the other teams that have been to multiple conference championships, its been the same guy at the helm and he's really good. For us, it is everyone under the sun, and they are all some variation of average with an absolutely stacked supporting cast, especially the offensive line run blocking and defense. 

"THE ANALYATICS BROS HATE HIM" :)

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Seriously though, what does the team do if the 49ers make another deep playoff run with Jimmy and he plays...at worst ok? At what point does Lance become a sunk-cost fallacy? Yikes....

Depends on how you're getting there. I mean, we are talking a team that has gotten to those games with Jimmy being an albatross on our chances in the playoffs. He needs to start playing well in those games for this to really become a thing. 

Otherwise JImmy  continues to be that guy who is good enough to not be easily replaced, but not so good that you don't try to replace him. 

• Like 3

Lance has barely played and already had a finger, knee and ankle injury in his brief career 

Long term there’s no way we can go into next offseason with him as the unquestioned starter due to him being injury prone and the questions about his play. Idk if we’ll bring in competition, keep Jimmy or go after a rookie or veteran next offseason 

this season is clear at least, it’s the Jimmy show 

• Like 2

It is very possible that this dampens the outlook of Trey Lance as the long term starter in SF starting as soon as next year. 

However I do not believe that Jimmy would be the beneficiary even if that is the case if we are being honest. 

Ultimately, my guess is that the most likely scenario is that they would bring someone like Daniel Jones on to "compete" and have a backup plan for. Maybe Teddy B or even Sam Darnold or Baker. 

Far less likely, but I won't just dismiss the idea of trading for an established starter (specifically Cousins) 

• Like 2