Week 2 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

Well, week 1 did not go as planned lol.....But on to Seattle.

I'm not going to say any week 2 game is a must win, but if you look at the recent history of playoff teams, very few have started 0-2 and gone on to win make the playoffs. Luckily for us, the Rams/Cardinals also lost last week but the Seahawks surprised everyone to beat the Broncos at home. As for this game.............

Offensively, we were moving the ball well for most of the game until the conditions got bad and I expect us to have little to no problems moving the ball this week as well. But the question is, can we finish drives with TDs instead of FGs or even TOs? The Broncos moved the ball at will pretty much last night but they had two fumbles at the one yard line. Obviously we had the Deebo fumble in the RZ. With the news of Mitchell being out 8 weeks, it is going to be interesting to see how much Shanny will trust the younger RBs and if he will give them equal opportunities as Wilson. He mentioned that he wants the younger backs to be able to play without the ball ala pass block. I wonder if he just ends up having Juice as the lone back on certain passing downs? Juice is a very good receiver and probably is a much better blocker than Mason or TDP. That's something to keep an eye on. The Seahawks corners are not great but they are big and physical. Will need to get the WRs in motion and take some deep shots as that is something that should be available against this defense. I'm not sure if Kittle will be returning this week but if he does, that will be huge and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the most targeted receiver. Deebo is going to get once again anywhere from 8-10 carries but I would like to see Lance and him connect in the passing game. They still aren't quite there but Aiyuk is so let's see that man get more than 3 targets this game! Lance should be utilized in the running game but he shouldn't be put in positions where is taking big hits. I would like to see him get 3 or less designed runs since he's going to get another few just off his scrambles as it is. Seahawks have held this offense down for the most part since Shanny has been here so I'm curious to see what happens this time with Lance at QB.

Defensively, they will need to contain Penny in the run game and prevent any big plays to Lockett or DK. I know our corners don't move around but Mooney on DK and Moseley on Lockett should be the primary match ups. Mooney looked great last week as he was sticky in coverage and gave the Bears WRs no room to breath and then I didn't even notice our other two corners get targeted at all. Penny is still the key to the Seahawks offense so it is important to lock in there. Our pass rush should be better this week with better conditions but I hope we don't commit a million penalties again lol. While the Seahawks had some very good moments against the Broncos defense, our defense is on a different level. I would be disappointed if the Seahawks average more than 4.3-4.5 YPP and score more than 17 points. I think Warner or Al-Shaair come up with a TO and we get a INT in the secondary and play well on this end without giving the Seahawks life with countless opportunities off penalties.

SF 24

SEA 13

• Like 3

Seahawks offense started the game well. Scored 17 in the 1st half and could have been more, they got stuffed on 4th and short inside the redzone as well

But they struggled a lot in the 2nd half. The OL started getting beat more as well. DL needs to get home

Geno's mobility is likely going to cause us issues. Please no undisciplined penalties this week! IDK about contain as i want our DE's to pressure Geno as much as possible, but maybe we'll need to spy him 

I had a bad feeling about the Bears game with week 1 being weird and the weather. This should be a better result.

I agree with @J-ALL-DAY on the score prediction, 24-13

• Like 2

I want to see the running game get going. I don't think Wilson is more than an average back with below-average speed. Are we going to utilize deebo to run the ball 8 times a game? I want to see TDP/Mason one of them and start to get carries. I think Lance ran as much as he did last game due to circumstance, I don't want to see him lead the team in rushing vs Seattle. 

There are going to be 2 ways to play Seattle. They take a lot of underneath stuff to get the ball out of Geno's hands quick with a very occasional mid to deep shot. Do the Niners give the underneath and try to keep everything in front and make it hard to move down the field or do they attack the underneath and force Geno to beat them over the top? I prefer that they attack the underneath and force him to look down field. I don't need to see Geno and the Seahawks dink and dunk down the field while the 49er offense finds it footing leading to the defense being on the field for an eternity. 

Mason and TDP need to get a lot of looks in this game. Seattle struggled with Javonte Williams and he is a head in your chest physical runner as are TDP and Mason. Without Adams on the back end I don't see Seattle being able to contain the play action game. I hope Shanny does a better job of play calling in this one. Stay focused on what Trey does well, play action deep crossers down field, play action boots and throws outside of the numbers. Until his accuracy improves there isn't a need to force unnecessary throws into zones in the middle. 

Niners win 27-6

I agree with majority of what everyone has basically put out - we have to contain Geno. Seems like we always have issues with mobile qbs. Take advantage of Adams injury. PA rollouts and attack their safeties. Limit our penalties and definitely get the running game going (3 headed monster, sprinkle in Deebo). Williams had a lot of big runs last night, we just need to keep our foot down. Kyle doesn’t have a problem with calling a lot of runs, we just need to execute once we get in the red zone. I believe our front is better than Denver so we should be able to collapse their pocket similar to last nights game esp in the 2nd half. 

21-13 Niners 

I know rosters, staff, etc.. change all the time, but Seattle just seems to have our number.  We're like 17-30 all time against them.  Beat them a whopping 4 times in the last 10 years, and not more than a 7 point win in that time(and that 7 point win was in 2012).  They're all either really close games or we get blown out.  During a time we've gone to multiple Super Bowls and championship games.  **puts tin foil hat on** Pete has our facilities bugged and has tapped in to video feeds, right? lol  

So, I'd like to see that trend change.  That said, Seattle looked a lot better than I thought they would last night.  Yeah, week 1 games can be weird.  Our game was no exception.  Just hope to pull off a win.  

• Like 1

While it is true that the offense was moving the ball well, they still need to finish drives with a TD. Even if you go back to the Cardinals game in Trey's first start, we averaged 5.7 YPP and had little to no problem moving the ball until we got to 3rd and 4th downs. Then in the RZ we didn't get convert on a 4th down as Lance got stuffed at the goal line. This is something he's going to need to figure out. Once he does, the offense is going to have some big scoring games. 

YPP in Trey's three starts:

5.7 vs Arizona

6.8 vs Houston

4.9 vs Chicago

And as Grant pointed out, the Chicago game was going pretty much the same as the other two until the monsoon hit. The most encouraging thing was the 3rd down conversions. That's something Lance struggled mightily against Houston. 

The Seahawks game once again should be over 6 YPP but the question is will those drives end with TDs or FGs? 

• Like 1