Week 2 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So let's say Shanny pulls Trey after 7-8 games after a slow start....What will he do next season? Is the roster no longer going to be a SB unit or at the very least a playoff contender? Will Trey be going to season 3 with 10 starts and once again on a short leash? Lance has as few reps as damn near anyone in history that was drafted in the top 10. He's going to eventually need to play....and play A LOT to go through growing pains and become the player he is going to become. Shanny knows this as well. Pulling him after 8 games is going to put him in the same position as next year and he will have to go through it all again. He's invested too much in Lance to just pull him if struggles for a stretch. Lance is busting is one thing after the huge investment but Lance busting without even having a season worth of starts? Yeah, Shanny's definitely not going to want that to happen as that will be on his head for the rest of his Niners tenure. 

I think he would just roll with Lance next year. Jed said he was okay with Lance taking a couple of years and we all just blew him off as crazy. Maybe it wasn't though. But again, this is one of the reasons that some people didn't like the idea of Jimmy sitting there. In a vacuum, its a great move. I have no ideas what, if any, problems it causes in that locker room and on this team if the team is losing games. I have no idea what it would mean. 

I do know it's not crazy that it could create a fracture and that people would be upset and want to go back to Jimmy. 

The bottom line is...

what is the most important thing to Shanny right now? Winning games this year, or letting Trey play through it and develop 

Point blank, that's it. Because there's at least a shot that you can't do one with the other (again, this is all speculation...it's been one game in a crazy rainstorm, so nobody should be getting in a tizzy about Lance as it is right now). 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

In all seriousness, i wonder if the Niners are exploring a Jimmy trade

Wouldn't be surprised if Jerry saying Dak wouldn't go on IR was a negotiation tactic to lower the price of a Jimmy G (or even Minshew or Rudolph or whatever) trade. Starting Cooper Rush for 2 months likely tanks the Cowboys season. They should be in on Jimmy G, pending the price

I don't think Dallas is going to happen. There's a chance that they would only really be getting 4 games from Jimmy in that scenario, and the niners shouldn't be moving him for less than a third at least. I still think the one to look at is Cleveland. Kind of sucks that they won that game sunday lol. 

They have the money. Jacoby was not good (as expected). Jimmy is at least already familiar with the type of scheme. They are in the AFC (helpful for the niners, I think). 

I just have no idea if Jimmy would waive for Cleveland. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he would just roll with Lance next year. Jed said he was okay with Lance taking a couple of years and we all just blew him off as crazy. Maybe it wasn't though. But again, this is one of the reasons that some people didn't like the idea of Jimmy sitting there. In a vacuum, its a great move. I have no ideas what, if any, problems it causes in that locker room and on this team if the team is losing games. I have no idea what it would mean. 

I do know it's not crazy that it could create a fracture and that people would be upset and want to go back to Jimmy. 

The bottom line is...

what is the most important thing to Shanny right now? Winning games this year, or letting Trey play through it and develop 

Point blank, that's it. Because there's at least a shot that you can't do one with the other (again, this is all speculation...it's been one game in a crazy rainstorm, so nobody should be getting in a tizzy about Lance as it is right now). 

I mean, it is both, no? Trey can theoretically be going through growing pains and the team still win. It's not like Jimmy was a super elite player or something and there were games we won with him doing very little. If he has the thought of pulling Trey after 8 games, then they really should have brought Jimmy back earlier and let him start. Because Shanny has seen Trey all offseason so he knows exactly where he is at. If he is not confident that he can win games with Trey or that Trey is going to go through some ups and downs, there was no point of starting him. You can't just keep saying "Trey has to go through it...Trey hasn't gone through it enough" and then put him on a short leash. Shanny knew what he was drafting and how much time it was going to take him. Trey may be able to get better being on the bench for another season but there's going to be the same questions next season and the roster is going to look very similar with a lot of high caliber players.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean, it is both, no? Trey can theoretically be going through growing pains and the team still win. It's not like Jimmy was a super elite player or something and there were games we won with him doing very little. If he has the thought of pulling Trey after 8 games, then they really should have brought Jimmy back earlier and let him start. Because Shanny has seen Trey all offseason so he knows exactly where he is at. If he is not confident that he can win games with Trey or that Trey is going to go through some ups and downs, there was no point of starting him. You can't just keep saying "Trey has to go through it...Trey hasn't gone through it enough" and then put him on a short leash. Shanny knew what he was drafting and how much time it was going to take him. Trey may be able to get better being on the bench for another season but there's going to be the same questions next season and the roster is going to look very similar with a lot of high caliber players.

No it's not...that's exactly what we are talking about. Trey losing games. If trey is meh and sometimes bad and the niners are winning, I don't think he's in danger of being benched. Winning cures all. If he's playing meh or bad  and this team is losing is when this comes up. We are talking about a scenario where you're not doing them both. 

I think you have to let him play, it's what I said the minute we re-signed Jimmy, but I've been willing to punt seasons on this development for Lance. I was willing to do it last year and just start him from jump. 

So if Trey is playing meh, and we are losing...what's more important to Shanny? Turning the season around, or sticking with his guy? I don't think that it's anything that any of us can answer, but I'm certainly not discarding one as a potential option. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

No it's not...that's exactly what we are talking about. Trey losing games. If trey is meh and sometimes bad and the niners are winning, I don't think he's in danger of being benched. Winning cures all. If he's playing meh or bad  and this team is losing is when this comes up. We are talking about a scenario where you're not doing them both. 

I think you have to let him play, it's what I said the minute we re-signed Jimmy, but I've been willing to punt seasons on this development for Lance. I was willing to do it last year and just start him from jump. 

So if Trey is playing meh, and we are losing...what's more important to Shanny? Turning the season around, or sticking with his guy? I don't think that it's anything that any of us can answer, but I'm certainly not discarding one as a potential option. 

You said does Shanny want to win games or let Trey go through it...I'm saying both can happen. 

If Trey is going through it AND losing, then to me he is more likely to pull the plug sooner rather than later. 

Jay Glazer reported this on Sunday:

The day that they got Jimmy Garoppolo to restructure and come back as their backup, their head coach Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch gathered 15 team captains. They said, 'Guys, we need your support here. We got to make sure that you get Trey's back because there's gonna be some bumpy roads ahead. We got to make sure with every incompletion, every interception that people aren't clamoring to move on to Jimmy. We've got to make sure we have your support.'

Shanny can't just be telling the entire world, including the team that there are going to be bumpy roads ahead and Trey needs to go through it...and then not let Trey go through it. If he is that stressed about wins and trying to get them while Trey is going to need time, then he should have just gone with Jimmy as the starter from day one.

Anyways, enough of this topic....................

I love how different sites grade completely different than the other and fans go crazy one way or another. I know when Wagoner tweeted that originally, people were talking about how bad the OL played and then PFF says otherwise and fans are all of a sudden encouraged lol. This is why you should always judge your eyes first and then use support with other data. But that doesn't mean you have to go with the data as the grades and numbers can be subjective. 

I just didn't see the OL being a problem on Sunday. I was consistent with that and the re-watch didn't show me otherwise. They should be pretty good this week as well. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You said does Shanny want to win games or let Trey go through it...I'm saying both can happen. 

This hypothetical is literally about what happens if the team is losing.  Why would we be talking about this if the team is winning? 

If shanny is thinking about pulling the plug on Lance, is because we are 0-4, or 1-5 or 2-6 or whatever arbitrary bad record we want to assign to him. That's been the entire point since the start.

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I love how different sites grade completely different than the other and fans go crazy one way or another. I know when Wagoner tweeted that originally, people were talking about how bad the OL played and then PFF says otherwise and fans are all of a sudden encouraged lol. This is why you should always judge your eyes first and then use support with other data. But that doesn't mean you have to go with the data as the grades and numbers can be subjective. 

I just didn't see the OL being a problem on Sunday. I was consistent with that and the re-watch didn't show me otherwise. They should be pretty good this week as well.

Win rate is ostensibly just a quantitative pass / fail, right? Hold your block for 2.5 seconds or not. 

Pff told me mahomes was the 8th or 9th best QB this weekend lol. Can never get on board with their grades. I did this Burford was fine on initial watch. Haven't rewatched yet

• Like 1