Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wouldn't be disappointed at all in adding Decker or Maclin. Would welcome either with open arms. My only problem with the Decker/Maclin/Bryant dilemma is this: 

If we can sign Decker or Maclin at $3 mil, I'd rather have Jordy at $5 mil 

If we can sign Bryant at $6 mil, I'd rather have him over Jordy at $5 mil

Based on the above,  in my opinion, if we sign Decker or Maclin, I'll always just ask the same question...."well why didn't we just keep Jordy for $5 mil?" 

I don't think Jordy wanted to stay for $5M. We did offer a salary cut to him to stay. He declined it and was released. 

4 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

I don't think Jordy wanted to stay for $5M. We did offer a salary cut to him to stay. He declined it and was released. 

Hard to say. The only report that came out was that we offered him just over the league minimum to stay, which obviously he wasn't going to take. Is that report accurate? Who knows but I haven't heard anything different. I have also heard comments from others, James Jones for example, who said Jordy would have gladly stayed for around the $5 mil mark. Is James Jones full of it? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, if $5 mil was put on the table, I would bet quite a bit of money that Jordy would have taken it to stay in GB for one final year. 

Or maybe our coaching staff saw that Jordy being around is actually crippling Rodgers from reaching his GOAT ceiling? Rodgers has left quite a few plays on the field by not looking for the open guy and instead locking in on the guys he trusts. 

Dez would be interesting. The guy still has talent. I’m not sure he has the route tree and attention to detail to be successful with Rodgers though. Rodgers is heady presnap wants people to be where they are supposed to be. Not sure Dez fits with that.

Maclin/Decker=pass. Can they still run?

I don’t think we should by any means fill the cupboard with a bunch of jags but I am not wanting to pick up a bunch of names either because they did something 5 years ago. Any FA’s brought in I hope would have well above average physical skills and speed, and not brought in because they are a savvy vet, that is what Rodgers is for!

17 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Or maybe our coaching staff saw that Jordy being around is actually crippling Rodgers from reaching his GOAT ceiling? Rodgers has left quite a few plays on the field by not looking for the open guy and instead locking in on the guys he trusts. 

I could see this, but I contend that they noticed Jordy's disappearance once Aaron went down. Jordy was reliant on Aaron for stats and productivity. I suspect Jordy will be a far WR2 behind Cooper in Oakland.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Think they would sign for 1 year $1.5million right now?

I don't see either getting much more than that at this point. It's about to be June. Absent a serious injury creating a big need for a desperate team, time is running out for these older vet WRs to find a home. 

11 hours ago, Joe said:

I could see this, but I contend that they noticed Jordy's disappearance once Aaron went down. Jordy was reliant on Aaron for stats and productivity. I suspect Jordy will be a far WR2 behind Cooper in Oakland.

I think Martavis Bryant will have a bigger year than Jordy.

Would like to see the young rooks get a chance.  Don't see the need to sign an aging vet that is likely washed up. We have enough competition at WR.  

Locks

Adams, Cobb, Moore

Guys fighting 4-6 possibly 7 spots

Clark, Yancey, EQ, MVS, Davis, and Allison

We just need one of these guys to emerge and we'll be all set. Hoping EQ, Yancey, and Clark round out the final spots.  If they keep 7 MVS as a special teams gunner.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:08 PM, skibrett15 said:

We have enough receiving options at this point.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Would like to see the young rooks get a chance.  Don't see the need to sign an aging vet that is likely washed up. We have enough competition at WR.  

Locks

Adams, Cobb, Moore

Guys fighting 4-6 possibly 7 spots

Clark, Yancey, EQ, MVS, Davis, and Allison

We just need one of these guys to emerge and we'll be all set. Hoping EQ, Yancey, and Clark round out the final spots.  If they keep 7 MVS as a special teams gunner.

Keep seeing people saying "we have enough options" or enough "competition." That opinion is fine but I think a lot of people are confusing quality vs. quantity at the WR position. Only one of those matters. If we don't go the vet route, for at least 2018 with all of this uncertainty, better hope the quantity turns into quality once you get past Adams and Cobb. 

Archived