Are the Vikings for real?

notthatbluestuff

Minnesota is more "for real" than they've shown.  Yes, they are lucky to be 12-3, but they have simply underperformed (PFF aggregate:  4th, Points Differential: +.4) by much, much less than Green Bay (17th, -1.4) and, of course, Chicago (32nd, -6.0), while Detroit (13th, -.6) has a defense (an improving 24th in aggregate and 28th in DVOA) that is not ready for prime time.  28th in yardage, the Vikes ground game has been particularly disappointing.

Barring a generational draft in Motown I don't see anyone challenging the Vikings for the NFC-North in 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

Jordan Love is not bad. He is unknown. I can't say he is good just as you can't say he is bad. no one knows what he is at this point. he looked bad against the Chiefs last year, but then looked fairly good in his brief showing this season. To definitively say one way or another is impossible at this point.

That’s fair - full disclosure, I was never a fan of Jordan Love. I think he’ll be bad, for a few reasons:

- His preseason performance. Against vanilla defenses, he didn’t really look good. The physical aspect is there, but the speed in which he’s checking his targets and making a decision with the ball in his hands isn’t what it should be.

- His college career at Utah State. Not exactly a big school playing a hard schedule, he had a handful of cupcakes every season and he didn’t overachieve outside of one season. He regressed from 2018 to 2019, that’s always a big red flag for me; Sure, Utah State had some turnover, but it’s not like they’re playing a Power 5 schedule, an NFL caliber/first round pick at QB should be able to shred through MWC defenses like toilet paper regardless of what he has on his side of the ball. 

- Decisions made by Green Bay; Over the past two offseasons, we’ve seen three teams bring in a massive amount of capital by trading an elite QB (Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson). Aaron Rodgers has a better resume than all three, was coming off an MVP season, was vocal on some of his discontentment with the Packers organization, was not looking at 30 accusations of sexual assault - the stage was set for Green Bay to move on to Love, with significant draft capital and cap space to build a pretty dangerous team around him. Not only did Green Bay not trade Rodgers, they extended him for three years at $150mm with $40mm guaranteed. That’s not a ringing endorsement from an organization that sees Love on a daily basis; They understand where his progression is, how he’s doing in film study, how he’s doing in practice. After seeing that… they chose to keep Rodgers (along with all of his erratic behaviors and diva attitudes) at a record setting rate as opposed to moving on. That sort of action speaks volumes without saying a thing.

Love might be the next in line of Packers QB greats, but there’s a lot to look at and think negatively about. This isn’t just spite, I have no horse in this race - I just don’t see anything from his last year at Utah State until now that fills me with a feeling like he’s going to work out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Never thought I'd see someone talk up the kicker. 

The problem is he's still a Vikings kicker. Do you think he broke the curse?

Not until he does it in the playoffs. 5 game winning FG's this season, is a good start. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Greg Joseph has also not missed a fg this season inside of 50 yards.

he's 2/7 at 50-59 yards (including misses at 53 and 56), and 1/1 at 60+ yards.

This works if you can be clutch. Its basically what the 49ers do with Robbie Gould, tbh (the main difference being hte 49ers may not even be able to attempt to many from beyond 50) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That’s fair - full disclosure, I was never a fan of Jordan Love. I think he’ll be bad, for a few reasons:

- His preseason performance. Against vanilla defenses, he didn’t really look good. The physical aspect is there, but the speed in which he’s checking his targets and making a decision with the ball in his hands isn’t what it should be.

- His college career at Utah State. Not exactly a big school playing a hard schedule, he had a handful of cupcakes every season and he didn’t overachieve outside of one season. He regressed from 2018 to 2019, that’s always a big red flag for me; Sure, Utah State had some turnover, but it’s not like they’re playing a Power 5 schedule, an NFL caliber/first round pick at QB should be able to shred through MWC defenses like toilet paper regardless of what he has on his side of the ball. 

- Decisions made by Green Bay; Over the past two offseasons, we’ve seen three teams bring in a massive amount of capital by trading an elite QB (Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson). Aaron Rodgers has a better resume than all three, was coming off an MVP season, was vocal on some of his discontentment with the Packers organization, was not looking at 30 accusation of sexual assault - the stage was set for Green Bay to move on to Love, with significant draft capital and cap space to build a pretty dangerous team around him. Not only did Green Bay not trade Rodgers, they extended him for three years at $150mm with $40mm guaranteed. That’s not a ringing endorsement from an organization that sees Love on a daily basis; They understand where his progression is, how he’s doing in film study, how he’s doing in practice. After seeing that… they chose to keep Rodgers (along with all of his erratic behaviors and diva attitudes) at a record setting rate as opposed to moving on. That sort of action speaks volumes without saying a thing.

Love might be the next in line of Packers QB greats, but there’s a lot to look at and think negatively about. This isn’t just spite, I have no horse in this race - I just don’t see anything from his last year at Utah State until now that fills me with a feeling like he’s going to work out.

Full disclosure - I wasn't a fan of Jordan Love coming out either. I understand all the points you made above and for me the biggest red flag would your last point. The organization doing all it can to keep Rodgers probably shows they feel Love isn't ready. The others I don't read too much into, since a lot of factors play into each. with the preseason he was playing with 75% of guys who didn't even make the roster as GB plays no starters in the preseason. And we have seen preseason heroes (Brett Hundley) quickly turn into zeroes. In college he was inconsistent at best I would say and far too turnover prone. His final season had a ton of turnover and he was playing with many new faces, but you would like to see a top level talent overcome some of that. I feel the loss of coaches was probably the bigger loss as he may need more time to pick up new offenses and that's why he had struggles early in the NFL as well. The glimmer of hope was his brief appearance against the Eagles this year. His footwork looked good, pocket presence was better, and his decisions were quick. Was that a sign to come or was it a one hit adrenaline fueled night? We will have to wait and see. I am not holding my breath though.

• Like 2

Just now, mattyice0401 said:

Recently yes. He missed i would guess a handful of PATs at the start of the year. Cant remember when and where he struggled just remember him being iffy.

The PAT thing is weird. Butker does the same thing 

• Like 1