Browns LB Anthony Walker tears quad; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Really nice of that big offensive tackle to flop on him for no reason last night while he was on the ground.

Oh no, it’s called “finishing his blocks”. It’s now become a scouting device and something to be championed by the likes of Mel Kiper and other draft evaluators.

when in reality, it is completely unnecessary, it is antagonizing and not of much value at all to your team because the play has probably passed them by or ended by the time you can “finish a block”. It’s just for meat heads or people who enjoy watching someone get buried by a large man. 

i say that as a Gronk Homer. Remember when he drove the colts defender way out of bounds, way after the play, into some equipment? That was “finishing his block” and it was championed lol

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Eh, I don’t see anything wrong with what the lineman did. That happens almost every game. If the LB had popped right back up, nobody would have said a word about the block on the ground.

Was it extra? Sure.
Was it dangerous? No. 

I don’t think it was inherently dirty or dangerous but it was unnecessary and did deserve a flag. If we are going to protect every “defenseless” offensive player in the league maybe we can start evaluating helpless defensive players lying defenseless on the ground. Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don’t think it was inherently dirty or dangerous but it was unnecessary and did deserve a flag. If we are going to protect every “defenseless” offensive player in the league maybe we can start evaluating helpless defensive players lying defenseless on the ground. Just a thought.

That’s fine, we can eliminate that kind of play… but then the rules needs to change to prohibit it and the way coaches coach needs to change too, because this is a very common occurrence. 

It seems like reason you’re taking a stance now because your player got hurt in an unrelated way. This is a routine play and I don’t recall anyone taking a stance against this kind of blocking before.

It just undermines your stance when the first time I ever see someone calling this dirty or unnecessary is when a rival does it and their player ends up hurt at the end of the play.

If Walker pops right back up nobody would have said anything about the block. 

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

That’s fine, we can eliminate that kind of play… but then the rules needs to change to prohibit it and the way coaches coach needs to change too, because this is a very common occurrence. 

It seems like reason you’re taking a stance now because your player got hurt in an unrelated way. This is a routine play and I don’t recall anyone taking a stance against this kind of blocking before.

It just undermines your stance when the first time I ever see someone calling this dirty or unnecessary is when a rival does it and their player ends up hurt at the end of the play.

If Walker pops right back up nobody would have said anything about the block. 

I’m a former defensive coach. I’ve always been against defensive discrimination. Between flops like this and chop blocks, that’s totally fine. Meanwhile you can’t land on a quarterback if you’re tackling them, you can’t hit a receiver in the torso because they’re defenseless, and you can’t block a quarterback hard after a turnover because “it’s bad for the game”.

Feel free to see my visceral reaction after what happened to Kayvon Thibideaux in preseason for consistency.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not going to find the rule and quote it, but that virtually never gets called. A linemen jumping on a defender after they’ve been taken down happens every week in football. AFAIK, linemen (or any blockers) aren’t responsible for knowing when a defender “gives themselves up” or something to that respect. Only defenders are against ball carriers and QBs after picks.

It all happened in less than a second, it’s not like he was piled drived while writhing in pain from a non-contact injury (I guess technically it was non-contact but it happened as contact was occurring). Saying the refs “should have” thrown a flag on something that’s seen every week without a flag, is puzzling.

43 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m not going to find the rule and quote it, but that virtually never gets called. A linemen jumping on a defender after they’ve been taken down happens every week in football. AFAIK, linemen (or any blockers) aren’t responsible for knowing when a defender “gives themselves up” or something to that respect. Only defenders are against ball carriers and QBs after picks.

It all happened in less than a second, it’s not like he was piled drived while writhing in pain from a non-contact injury (I guess technically it was non-contact but it happened as contact was occurring). Saying the refs “should have” thrown a flag on something that’s seen every week without a flag, is puzzling.

My entire point is that no one cares about defensive player safety or protecting defenseless players on defense in the rules or otherwise.

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My entire point is that no one cares about defensive player safety or protecting defenseless players on defense in the rules or otherwise.

It would be legal either way. Launching into a player, lowering the helmet/hitting with the crown, and forcibly hitting in the head/neck area are the only protections of a defenseless player (which Walker is classified as). I get your overall point, this is just a bad example for it.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

It would be legal either way. Launching into a player, lowering the helmet/hitting with the crown, and forcibly hitting in the head/neck area are the only protections of a defenseless player (which Walker is classified as). I get your overall point, this is just a bad example for it.

And landing on quarterbacks who have the ball?

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That’s my point. A protected offensive player.

That’s just the quarterback. And even then, that only applies during/just after the act of passing. 

Are you saying you want defensive players to be afforded the same rules as quarterbacks in the act of throwing?